Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!! >

1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Notices

1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Old 07-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no bro...BURNSMAZZ "They just can't take the heat buildup.".....if they are locked up....then little energy is heat...and the truck will only go 92 mph....o by the way....that is based of of the drive shaft not the tires(the reason most vehiles have a clip)
Old 07-25-2002, 10:28 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Audio, don't give up. The trucks work great. Yea, there are failures, show any me any vehicle on the road that doesn't fail at one time or another. You will get a great deal of feedback from people that have had bad experiences with the PSD Ford. But remember how many of these trucks are on the road!!!!! You will always here from the ones who have had bad luck, just like anything else. From experience I have had 8 PSDs and have had extremely good luck with them. Currently I have 00 F-350 SD and an 01 Excursion, both with PSDs. The Superduty has 95000 miles on it and I had to replace the trans at 70000 miles. Was I mad, no, not at all. I run a 125HP chip and propane, and like Joey, I run the you know what out it. I was actually happy I got that kind of mileage out of the first trans!!! Like Joey said, any time you modify the "package" you are pushing the envelope. I realize your truck is stock and it is unfortunate that you are having problems, but should you decide to stick it out, you will be rewarded with a very good tow vehicle, my O2. Unfortunately you are in the midst of a diagnosis procedure that can be somewhat lengthy and cause headaches for yourself and the techs working on your vehicle. Good Luck. Sam
Old 07-25-2002, 10:35 AM
hauling ass-a

I have 18 trucks with power strokes, from 1995-2001 everyone of them has had at least two trans. We have increased the size of the coolers which seemed to help. My advice to you would be to stop dealing with ford, find some that knows about ford tranys and pay them to do the upgrades. that way you will have peace of mind. Ford did the same for us NOTHING. We found a tranny shop that knew the problems and how to correct them. Once they rebuild them we have no more problems. My trucks tranny was rebuilt two years ago and no problems since!!!! I also plow and tow my boat, and really haven't met ANYONE ROUGHER ON A TRUCK THAN ME. So ask the shop if they are farmilar with the problems and what are they going to do to correct the problem. Most shops will juast say they will rebuild the tranny. Mine said the problem was with the cooler, valve body, and knew a few secrets on what to drill out to get more power to the clutches. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

jon,
I hope you can get this thing resolved it really sucks to be without a dependable tow vehicle. I still believe the ONLY automatic that's worth a damn is the Allison, but unfortuately it's behind an ISUZU diesel with a lot of aluminum in it which I don't think is going to have the durability of the PSD or the mighty Cummins 5.9 which is a true medium-heavy duty diesel.
Dodge doesn't even offer an automatic with the Cummins High Output version(next year 305 hp, 555 torque)because they know this motor will shred it to bits. Maybe someday, Ford and Dodge will get a clue and put the Allison behind their diesels, and then we'll have something. But , what the hell, I'd rather shift myself anyway, my programming is easier to readjust

Good Luck To You,
Paul
Old 07-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I called up the dealer and told them to blow me and that if they were not going to replace the transmision to not bother puting in a new valve body. They said that they would call Ford back. I am not going to lay down over this. I AM PISSED
Old 07-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

Jon...I saw where you made it over to the other place...keep on them! I had my tranny replaced at 40,000 miles even though it was 4 thousand miles out of warranty for $500 because I wouldn't go away and had all the paperwork to back me up. Your truck is in warranty so there should be no questions about a new one.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Registered

new idea....hope i blows 3 times!!!...then they have to buy it back under the lemon law!!! how's that for an idea????
Old 07-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Hey Audacity you need to ease up!You probably know the guy,his name is Mark I won't give you his last name,not here anyway.Just relaying what I heard from someone that works in that division.By the way I have a 250 powerstroke no problems,great truck.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Registered

sorry dude...i wasn't beign a prick....just wanted to know who??? is he testing here or componets lab??? calibration dude?? does he boat??? 4r100 or 5r110 group??
Old 07-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Registered

I think he is in testing.I know he drives around and tries to make things break.Yes he has a cat with blown 510's

Quick Reply: 1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.