Notices

42' vs toyota

Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '02 Duramax with 265 k miles. Bought it new, put in a Hypertech programer day one. At 50k miles started losing injectors and glow plugs. The dealer put in a new fuel pump, all new injectors and glow plugs at the same time. I haven't had any problems since. I've towed way more than any truck (this size) should ever have to, still on the factory brakes. The only problem I have ever had was the fuel tank sending unit went out last year.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
What boat job did you find? That's another interest of mine (obviously haha) that I wouldn't mind ruining by working in.

Just out of curiosity, what products are "there already" for Ford but not GM? What shows lack of engineering, the Volt, C7, Zl1, ATS? I think your "data" on engr is a bit behind the times. What foreign make has some great engr tech that is missing in Detroit? If you dig in, I'll think you'll find you are mistaken.

The problem is no Americans want to be engineers anymore, so all the schools are filled with international students!
I dont think that there is any thing wrong with the engineering of GM's vehicles the problem has been from the percieved quality that the average consumer sees when they get in the car. The dash materials, seats etc. the stuff that sells a car to the average Joe is what GM has been behind in. Although after seeing the new C7 I would say that GM has caught up.

My degree is in Naval Architecture so I specialized in it from the start, I worked as an intern for MasterCraft, Skater, and Bollinger Shipyards. This summer I will be going to work full time for Michael Peters Yacht Design.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

When I see a Toyota truck that pulls as often as my F250 with 380,000 miles and still be reliable, drive, and look as good as mine we will talk... I just cannot see a 1/2 Toyota doing what my truck does and last that long, the other things in my truck are very beefy parts that last... springs, rear end, tie rods all that kind of stuff... I see MANY Super Duty Fords with 200++ thousand miles all the time.... don;t think I ever saw a Toyota truck with them miles or more..I am sure there may be a few... but I never seen one
Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MIskier
I dont think that there is any thing wrong with the engineering of GM's vehicles the problem has been from the percieved quality that the average consumer sees when they get in the car. The dash materials, seats etc. the stuff that sells a car to the average Joe is what GM has been behind in. Although after seeing the new C7 I would say that GM has caught up.

My degree is in Naval Architecture so I specialized in it from the start, I worked as an intern for MasterCraft, Skater, and Bollinger Shipyards. This summer I will be going to work full time for Michael Peters Yacht Design.
Ford hands down has the nicest interiors ..... of course thats my opinion... my truck even being 2002 still has not one rattle or broken interior part with 380,000 miles
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Ford hands down has the nicest interiors ..... of course thats my opinion... my truck even being 2002 still has not one rattle or broken interior part with 380,000 miles
How can you compare a diesel super duty to a gas half ton?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mitchie
How can you compare a diesel super duty to a gas half ton?
When you tow a 12,500 lb boat with either it's fair game to compare.....
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
ok if your a engineer for gm DO ME A BIG FAVOR...MAKE THE FRONT ENF ON THE GM TRUCKS A TILT NOSE SO WE CAN SACCESS THE ENGINE WITH OUT REMOVING HALYF THE ENGINE TO CHANGE A PART..LET ALON KILL OUR BACKS TO WORK ON THEM..

OK SARCASM OFF....
Trust me, I HATE the serviceability on all new cars. But doesn't Ford make you just take the cab off haha?

I work in product development, but not actually engineering. I curse our engineers every time I have to work on something haha! It's not easy to cram as much stuff in these days.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MIskier

I think perceived quality of the nearly all the post 08 launch cars is actually very good of anyone that gets in. Interiors from GM have been a huge improvement, and most of the media would acknowledge this. However, perceived reliability is still less positive. The GM of the 90's where crap fails all the time still lingers. In reality all cars these days are good. The worst brand today in 3 year reliability (JD Power), Land Rover, is better than the average was in 2002. The average today is better than the best then. In other words, statistically all cars are basically good enough that reliability will be more than adequate for most. The toyota's of the world keep going on perception alone.

That sounds awesome for your work. Congrats. Working in the industry you love makes work that much better. I'd love to work at any of the high performance boat companies, but doubt many will pay what I'd take to do what I do haha.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
When I see a Toyota truck that pulls as often as my F250 with 380,000 miles and still be reliable, drive, and look as good as mine we will talk... I just cannot see a 1/2 Toyota doing what my truck does and last that long, the other things in my truck are very beefy parts that last... springs, rear end, tie rods all that kind of stuff... I see MANY Super Duty Fords with 200++ thousand miles all the time.... don;t think I ever saw a Toyota truck with them miles or more..I am sure there may be a few... but I never seen one
Tacoma's are famous for being bomb proof, many around with hundreds of thousands of miles (still hauling terrorists). However, they don't have the stresses of a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
I think perceived quality of the nearly all the post 08 launch cars is actually very good of anyone that gets in. Interiors from GM have been a huge improvement, and most of the media would acknowledge this. However, perceived reliability is still less positive. The GM of the 90's where crap fails all the time still lingers. In reality all cars these days are good. The worst brand today in 3 year reliability (JD Power), Land Rover, is better than the average was in 2002. The average today is better than the best then. In other words, statistically all cars are basically good enough that reliability will be more than adequate for most. The toyota's of the world keep going on perception alone.

That sounds awesome for your work. Congrats. Working in the industry you love makes work that much better. I'd love to work at any of the high performance boat companies, but doubt many will pay what I'd take to do what I do haha.
Thanks! It's easy to find jobs as a Nav Arch or Mechanical Engineer all day long in the offshore and commercial industry where starting salaries for new grads run from 60-80k, the small recreational boat market on the other hand is pretty difficult to find something in that range.

What sort of PD&E do you do for GM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.