Notices

42' vs toyota

Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by showtime83
While I agree with everything you have posted, the only thing I slightly disagree with is "I'm sure a few UAW guys w/ overtime match my salary, which is crap." I can think of a couple of tradesman that deserve that money. The tool and die makers, machine repair, and millwrights. With any place of work I am sure there is bad apples in the group, but the majority of those guys work, and work hard. They are all very talented individuals and great trades man. I think it is a shame that the talent and trade is being lost as more are retiring. In regards to current UAW pay, I do not know what it is. I have been told that the new contract line workers are only making around 15 dollars an hour.
+1. My Dad was a millwright with Cat for 42 years. His trade skillset is in such demand that after retiring, Toyota brought him down to Tennessee to help them out. To say someone like him should not make the salary of an office worker with an MBA, etc. is nearsighted at best.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on what is shown in the Vid.

1st off, that is a new Baja 405 located at Cape Harbor, Cape Coral. The 405 is nothing more than the old 38 Special with a 3 foot fiberglass swim platform on the back.

2nd, that is as far as that boat was going, It sits outside the enclosed dry store building on the ramp to the water.

They are hoping to sell that boat, been sitting there at least 6 months now.

Since it is season here, perhaps someone wanted a test drive? I was at Cape Harbor, (Rumrunners Rest.) three weeks ago and it was still sitting there for sale.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by showtime83
While I agree with everything you have posted, the only thing I slightly disagree with is "I'm sure a few UAW guys w/ overtime match my salary, which is crap." I can think of a couple of tradesman that deserve that money. The tool and die makers, machine repair, and millwrights. With any place of work I am sure there is bad apples in the group, but the majority of those guys work, and work hard. They are all very talented individuals and great trades man. I think it is a shame that the talent and trade is being lost as more are retiring. In regards to current UAW pay, I do not know what it is. I have been told that the new contract line workers are only making around 15 dollars an hour.
Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
+1. My Dad was a millwright with Cat for 42 years. His trade skillset is in such demand that after retiring, Toyota brought him down to Tennessee to help them out. To say someone like him should not make the salary of an office worker with an MBA, etc. is nearsighted at best.
What can they make outside of UAW? If they can pull up and make over 100k outside of the UAW then they make what they likely deserve. If a contract has somehow got them there with no other option to make that money......then maybe not.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Default UAW sucks

The American car companies are making inferior cars. Here's a list of problems with my 2011 F-350 with 50k miles:
2 Water Pumps, exhaust sensor that shut the truck down, turbo hose that blew apart, $1600 radiator, power rear window, and a stereo that randomly quits working.
I will never buy another vehicle from the "big 3."
I also hate the union thugs that build them. They have made the bed they lay in.

QUOTE=rlj676;3882347]What a crock of crap. The Japanese gov't has for years supported their OEM's, ours has **** on us until the bailout.

You are posting utter lies to justify your foreign purchase. Why don't you look up GM, Ford and Chrysler employment. First of all I believe you've overstated toyota by 10k ish, but either way GM employs 90k Americans to sell a similar number of cars. Ford over 60k to sell less. Before anyone gets cute and blames this on efficiency, Toyota claims to employ over 300k global people vs GM's 250k or so. Foreign companies per car sold employ less than 50% of the people, which is then multiplied by the supplier effect, etc.

Keep justifying buying foreign crap because they sell you a load of crap while wrapping themselves in the American flag. Americans are fools and they know it and exploit it.

Please feel free to post how the Big 3 have moved production while others build here, the reality is laughably the opposite. The VAST majority of domestics are built in the US, a much smaller bit of transplants. All they have to do is put "made in USA" on the one or two models in a commercial and this is the crap "Americans" spew to justify their purchase.

The tundra is junk. A country that can't buy enough bland Camry's still buy 1/6th the tundra's they do F150's or GM's each.

Edit: adding a link, aka a clue http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...s-workers.html[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 255 Likes on 110 Posts

Opionions are like a**holes we all have one, but it doesn't me we should share it with everyone... Enjoy your pos riceburners....
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Well said! With all these "facts" the biased big three lovers are trying to push, let me ask a question.....why do the big 3 continue to LOSE market share?

Don't tell me it is marketing, because the big 3 advertise more than anyone. And it's not price, cause Honda, Toyota, and the euros are all more expsensive, he'll even Hyundai is now more expensive. The big three have a higher list to cost ratio, and offer large rebates and still get outsold. The American public has turned to quality and value. If it wasn't for program cars and rentals the big 3 car numbers would be HALF what they are.

Any one that doesn't think a toyo or a Honda wil outlast an American counter part on all fronts simply has never owned one, or talked to people that work on them.

Bottom like, they all last, they prob will all reach 300k miles. But your repair bill on the path to 300 will always be higher higher with the big three, its a fact.

Stop in an autozone and ask them what they sell more parts for out of the top selling 4 cars, Camry, accord, Taurus, impala.
Sorry to use your post as an example, but this is the mentality I mentioned through several posts.

I know it sucks, but read through all of the posts prior to this one then comment. Nothing wrong with buying a Toyota, just make an informed decision. Reading reviews in US rags isnt research, go forums for that particular vehicle and see what the common issues are. You will be shocked at the issues as well as how the owners justify that they made a sound investment in their purchase. Brain washed ( ignorent) is what I see.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
Tacoma's are famous for being bomb proof, many around with hundreds of thousands of miles (still hauling terrorists). However, they don't have the stresses of a 3/4 ton truck.
Had to lol at the emoticon, well played! Not ALL of them were " bomb proof " however. See link, or better yet, google it yourself. http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...rusty-tacomas/

So many pages of forum members feeling like they were screwed by Toyota. BTW, the problem didnt go away in 2000, just need to dig a little further. If the big 3 had a " supplier" have an issue like this does anyone think for 1 minute that they would get a free pass? The supplier didnt provide the spec for the part and dam sure didnt offer to pay more for a higher quality part.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
A couple of more observations here. First, everybody hurling grenades at the Tundra for being a ½ ton truck seem to be driving ¾ or 1 ton trucks. If memory serves me correctly, Toyota markets the Tundra as a ½ ton pickup and nothing more. So you’re not comparing apples to apples when you say your 1 ton GM, Ford or Dodge will pull more. BTW, I have it on good advice that Toyota will be coming out with something heavier duty soon.

Second, the same folks with grenades seem to be lifetime drivers of whatever brand they’re backing. Until you’ve owned a different brand and put it to the test of miles of towing, hurling insults is kind of pointless. And the number of Toyota vehicles out there with well over 100,000 miles on them might surprise you. Just ask the guys from Top Gear (UK) what happened when they tried to kill a high mileage Toyota Hilux (Tacoma here).
Along the same lines as I mentioned earlier, read all of the posts.
When Toyota willingly advertises their product towing a space shuttle, towing a trailer up a lame CGI ramp on fire and stopping at the edge, the voice in the ad's are pumped in by a lame ass fake Texan accented guy trying to be big and bad etc, dont tell me they arent trying to touch the 3/4 - 1 ton market. I always laughed at their attempts at hitting the big 3 in the wallet again. In my mind it just dispalyed how out of touch Toyota is with what is expected of a truck in the US. I have freinds with new Tundras and they like them, but understand they are 1/2 ton trucks. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless the cams went flat or the tourqe convertor grenaded and took out the transmission or the tailgate folded up when they loaded quads or...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

This isnt a bash forign manufactures thread from my standpoint. It's more informative than that and I hope no one walks away thinkng they cant speak their mind. Just make sure your opinions are informed.

If the truck pulling that boat out of the water was ANY manufactures 1/2 ton it would have been ripped to shreads, but it seems that their is some pent up frustration for Toyota which has brought about a healthy conversation about brand preference.
I dont hate forign manufactures, just want consumers to understand why they would rate a forign manufacture over a US manufacture. In my experience it has to do with mittle research other than reading US rags that are run by forign car lovers. Dont believe me? Check out who's driving what in three of the US largests automotive rags as long term drivers or better yet, what do they own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.