Peppers To Run Superboat Class With Mercury Racing 525 Engines >

Peppers To Run Superboat Class With Mercury Racing 525 Engines

Notices

Peppers To Run Superboat Class With Mercury Racing 525 Engines

Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
Not all the racers in the Cat Lite ran 6's. Some of them ran XR's. I imagine Pepper's is running with XR's at the moment? I can see purchasing 2 new 6's (with extra parts), two new engines (with extra parts), a couple sets of new props and all of the cost associated with re-rigging the boat would get you up over the 100k mark real easy.... But you are right, net they could probably come in well under that 160k total if they can sell off some of the old equipment.
i thought they ran #6's. looks that way in the pic in the story. don''t think anyone had run xr's over the last several yrs.

i know in the beginning a few ran xr's, since the 6 took more HP to spin, but after a few boats spun out and ripped the XR right off everyone got away from them.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice to see Peppers back in the mix, a great Team and I wish them all the best for 2013.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
matt, wish you and your fellow "journalists" would ask alot more questions. and do a little fact checking.

just from what i've read all 3 classes are gone - 525 lite, 750 better known as supercat and 850 merc atleast in SBI.

they consilidated all into "700"-ish HP class. basically taking the compression out of the 750 motors and lowering the RPM.

as for drives, all the classes ran #6 merc's, so other than a few having to do gear changes no big deal.

same with props, actually the 525 guys had to have a bigger selection since i think they allowed different gear ratios. were as the old 750 was limited to 1.61 only.

ever been around teague while testing ????? he had 2 guys with hand carts as prop-toters. and again the old 750 guys were limited to 34 pitch so actually alittle less of a selection.

the 160k in cost i think is slightly exxageratred by about 100k plus add in selling the 525s.
Skaterdave,

First, thanks for your input. Now, a few facts:

1. This was a story about one race team's plans. It was neither intended nor designed to be an exploration on what, in fact, is the consolidation of three classes into one in SBI. (If you disagree with that assessment of what has happened, please contact Tony Marcantonio or other Superboat class racers.) While the class specs do not list a maximum horsepower output, the people I have spoken with estimate it to be approximately 750.

2. All news stories cannot be all things to all readers. Again, I was not looking for a comprehensive, in-depth evaluation of the Superboat class and its ramifications. However, much, though certainly not all, of the information you noted was covered in my previous two stores, which you will find under "Related Stories" at the bottom of the piece.

That all the class specs and options and so on were not listed in any of my stories also is by design. These stories are written for a general go-fast boating enthusiast who may or may not share you intense interest in offshore racing. For those who wish to delve into the nitty-gritty of the class specs, they are available in downloadable PDF form of the SBI site. (A link to the site is in included in all of my stories.)

3. If you believe Mr. Stancombe exaggerated the cost of the engine upgrades, I would suggest you take that up with him directly.

Last, I have approached this topic with a balanced approach. My first piece covered the announcement of the class consolidation and quoted a participant not just in the class but in its revision, and his quotes were very positive. My next piece was an optimistic commentary about the class. The piece that went live today on Peppers Racing presented another take from a well-known racer whose original class, at least in SBI, no longer exists.

Beyond all that, I'm not sure what you want me to do. But I am legitimately sorry you're disappointed with my reporting, fact-checking and general journalistic skills. The subtext of your post, at least from my reading, seems to be in "defense" of the class, which is odd because I was not attacking it. I was simply reporting on another team's take, though admittedly less than positive, on it.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 03-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great response, Matt. You can always tell when its winter time on OSO.. Everyone gets hateful and negative.. about EVERYthing.. Just a few more weeks, guys!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Racer
Racer

matt, wish you and your fellow "journalists" would ask alot more questions. and do a little fact checking.

just from what i've read all 3 classes are gone - 525 lite, 750 better known as supercat and 850 merc atleast in SBI.

they consilidated all into "700"-ish HP class. basically taking the compression out of the 750 motors and lowering the RPM.

as for drives, all the classes ran #6 merc's, so other than a few having to do gear changes no big deal.

same with props, actually the 525 guys had to have a bigger selection since i think they allowed different gear ratios. were as the old 750 was limited to 1.61 only.

ever been around teague while testing ????? he had 2 guys with hand carts as prop-toters. and again the old 750 guys were limited to 34 pitch so actually alittle less of a selection.

the 160k in cost i think is slightly exxageratred by about 100k plus add in selling the 525s.
Welcome to my world Matt LOL!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Skaterdave,
Last, I have approached this topic with a balanced approach. My first piece covered the announcement of the class consolidation and quoted a participant not just in the class but in its revision, and his quotes were very positive. My next piece was an optimistic commentary about the class. The piece that went live today on Peppers Racing presented another take from a well-known racer whose original class, at least in SBI, no longer exists.

Beyond all that, I'm not sure what you want me to do. But I am legitimately sorry you're disappointed with my reporting, fact-checking and general journalistic skills. The subtext of your post, at least from my reading, seems to be in "defense" of the class, which is odd because I was not attacking it. I was simply reporting on another team's take, though admittedly less than positive, on it.
i'm not dissapointed or attacking or being defensive, just pointing out that the story raises some questions and could have been better explained in some aspects.

for instance where does $160k come from ?and yes you let them expand on out that, just that some of the costs seem inflated.

when you reference 750 most refer to supercat 750, (old APBA spec class) which has been changed. i know you talked about 750 story from the links you provided in previous stories, but...........
when you say pepper's is going to run in 750 it might confuse the layman that the old class is still racing.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

i'm not dissapointed or attacking or being defensive, just pointing out that the story raises some questions and could have been better explained in some aspects.

for instance where does $160k come from ?and yes you let them expand on out that, just that some of the costs seem inflated.

when you reference 750 most refer to supercat 750, (old APBA spec class) which has been changed. i know you talked about 750 story from the links you provided in previous stories, but...........
when you say pepper's is going to run in 750 it might confuse the layman that the old class is still racing.
Fair enough. Reporting can always be clearer, mine—most definitely—included.

Sorry for any confusion my stories might have caused. My feeling was (and is) that they were pretty clear but the facts don't always square with feelings. Especially for a journalist, it never hurts to be reminded of that.

So thanks again.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
Not all the racers in the Cat Lite ran 6's. Some of them ran XR's. I imagine Pepper's is running with XR's at the moment? I can see purchasing 2 new 6's (with extra parts), two new engines (with extra parts), a couple sets of new props and all of the cost associated with re-rigging the boat would get you up over the 100k mark real easy.... But you are right, net they could probably come in well under that 160k total if they can sell off some of the old equipment.
Show me. I tried 60k props, 90-110 for engines, actual quotes. My math says 170k, without gear change !
The truth hurts. Oh and I'm going to sell my wheels too... No one but us catlike guys really use 38,39,40& 41p wheels at 10k each set.
Math doesn't lie
Scorpion 55k each engines
My guy at 44k each
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

then you got the whole issue if they're running legal 525's. with a little work could bring them up to about 630. run the boat under weight and should be able to run with em
If you question my engine legality , I will tell you this. They have not been touched,altered or no upgraded ecms. I'll go to my maker knowing I never cheated. Ever !
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by racesdad
Show me. I tried 60k props, 90-110 for engines, actual quotes. My math says 170k, without gear change !
The truth hurts. Oh and I'm going to sell my wheels too... No one but us catlike guys really use 38,39,40& 41p wheels at 10k each set.
Math doesn't lie
Scorpion 55k each engines
My guy at 44k each
Not to knock your guy, but Scorpion builds one hell of a motor just ask the teams he builds for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.