Notices

Bad news for SBI Sarasota races

Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad news for SBI Sarasota races

In todays local paper

SARASOTA - The director of the Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix said organizers might pull the plug on this year’s festival after Sarasota County officials refused their funding request.

The county offered $28,500 on Tuesday to help cover the event, which has brought high-speed boat races and big crowds to Sarasota every summer for nearly three decades.

That is an increase from previous donations — the commission agreed to compensate for a $10,000 loss of state money — but far less than festival organizers were hoping for.

Suncoast Charities for Children asked the County Commission to give $100,000 to the 10-day festival, which is a fundraiser for their programs that help children with special needs in Sarasota County.

Festival Director Lucy Nicandri said the charity has seen a drop off in event revenue over the past few years. Last year, the charity made $57,000 compared to its 15-year average revenue of $90,000, she said.

“Why not go do a golf tournament and raise almost $100,000?” she asked.

The charity’s board is going to decide in the next few weeks whether to cancel this year’s event, scheduled to start June 29.

The community needs to buy into the festival to keep it afloat, Nicandri said, adding that other Florida cities would love to have it.

“It’s really going to be left up to the public,” she said.

County commissioners voted 3-2 against giving the event more than $28,500. Commissioners Joe Barbetta and Carolyn Mason wanted to cover the charity’s $79,200 sanctioning fee.

“It’s just been going on for 29 years;it’s expected by the community,” Barbetta said.

The county’s tourist tax collections are strong and the commission could perhaps take funding from that source, he said.

Commissioner Nora Patterson said additional tourism revenue has been used to fund efforts to make the area a competitive rowing hub, and it is a bad time to take money out of the county’s general fund.

Giving $100,000 to the races is like giving it to Suncoast Charities, Patterson said, and there are other organizations in the county that do not get a boost from local government.

She called $28,500 “probably the best we can do,” even at the cost of losing the event.

“I would not change my vote,” she said.

Mason said Suncoast Charities has scheduled individual meetings with commissioners and the group could revisit the issue.

Although these are lean budget times, the economic impact of the event is critical to Sarasota, Mason said.

Last year, the Grand Prix had a $14.3 million impact on the area and onlookers from 103 countries live streamed the event, Nicandri said.

“I don’t think we can afford to lose it,” Barbetta said
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I don't even know what to say, I grew up in Sarasota and Have seen the races nearly every year of my life. My father along with gulf wind marine used to race in the "run whatcha brung" class back in the day... I guess it was only a matter of time.... Total bummer.

Anyone have any more pics of back when it was APBA??? I'm sure you all know the famous picture... Was up in the Boat house for years... Rumors have it that the picture was stollen...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

I remember that pic hanging up on the wall..
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"Commissioner Nora Patterson said additional tourism revenue has been used to fund efforts to make the area a competitive rowing hub, and it is a bad time to take money out of the county’s general fund."

Here's a question for the commish'- how much money was spent creating a rowing "hub"; how much money does rowing bring in and who benefits from that revenue?

Last edited by Powerquest230; 03-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Sounds like good ol American politics at its finest........
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
bwd
Registered

Default Hope for the best

Almost every year where I live the trigger is pulled on a public appeal for money." The coffers are empty, we cant have the fireworks for the 4th" is what the papers read. Let's hope a media blitz and a large advertised meeting nets the same good results for Suncoast as it tends to for my area. Let's everbody have happy thoughts for a good race and all the other festivities that follow. The 50,000 people I saw watchin the parade last year want it, lets hope they get it. Brian W
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Is there a group of wealthy land owners that don't like the event? A group like this killed a festival in our area.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Registered

Sarasota just got anew police cheif , If she can get her mouth in it, u will lose the whole event. She just retiered from my town. We couldn't wait to get rid of her.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

So the event had a $14.3 million area impact but the charity only made $57 thousand. Numbers seems odd.
ed