Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Your Boat is about to hook... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29333-your-boat-about-hook.html)

Bill272 07-22-2002 04:25 PM

Your Boat is about to hook...

What do you do??

There's been too many unfortunate posts about accidents and people getting hurt this year. Is there anything you can do if your boat is about to hook? Say you launch off a wake, pull back on the throttles to avoid overrreving, you're airborne and your bow is headed to port and you know you will land a bit sideways. I would assume you would cut the wheel to the right and get back on the gas when you hit. to hopefully straighten it out upon re-entry. I'm asking because I have no idea really what you should do in this situation. Will this help, or are you SOL at that point?

Iggy 07-22-2002 04:53 PM

Good question.
I would probably mess my shorts at that point. :eek:
Honestly, I don't know what I'd do.

I'm sure we could all come up with good suggestions but I think only someone that's actually been in that situation could answer it or handle it properly. Someone like a professional driver or throttleman.

Rick252 07-22-2002 05:25 PM

I normally say a quick prayer and add " OH CHIT" at the end. This usually comes before the wife knocks the #*&& outta me.

Hey Bill, let me know about that 340 Vyper

Tinkerer 07-22-2002 05:27 PM

RICK252-- our wives must be related. RFLMAO

Pantera1 07-22-2002 05:32 PM

Hit the gas !!

Slam dem throttles and ride it out ..or garb your ankles:D

Griff 07-23-2002 01:58 AM

I would think that you would want the drive as straight as possible when you land----as it should be when you launch also. The boat won't turn to port in the air unless you were turning to port when you launched. If this is the case, then sqaut down low in your bolster and hang on :D I would still try to straighten out as much as possible for the landing.

Laveyman 07-23-2002 03:53 AM

I don't think there's a darn thing you can do if you're already going sideways while airborne. Even if you turn the outdrive the opposite way to counteract, by the time the outdrive is able to take effect, its too late.

Think of it this way...You have the entire length of the hull pushing the boat sideways as you come back in contact with the water, and only the outdrive trying to turn it back. Your best bet is to keep the outdrive straight and hang on for dear life!

I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks back at Havasu. The boat hooked and threw my girlfriend across the boat into the dash & steering wheel. Cracked & bruised a few ribs.

cobra marty 07-23-2002 04:54 AM

First you say it, and then you do it.

Laveyman 07-23-2002 04:57 AM

Originally posted by cobra marty
First you say it, and then you do it.
???? You wouldn't mean OH S%$t!!!

Wally 07-23-2002 09:14 AM

Speaking from experience from the one and hopefully only time this happened to me, i dont think there is much of anything you can do.
It all happened so fast in my case i didnt know what happened till i found myself sitting on the floor in the middle of the boat holding onto the steering wheel and a pair of bent throttles! :eek:
My buddy who was in the passenger bolster almost went overboard! Luck for him he was holding onto the "OH Chit" handle on the side of the bolster. He said he almost busted his elbow slamming against it. Needless to say after it all we looked at each other and went straight for the Adville cause we knew we were gonna be hurt'n later after that ride!!!