75k budget, what would you buy? >

75k budget, what would you buy?

Notices

75k budget, what would you buy?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75k budget, what would you buy?

My little 24 outlaw has served me well as a first time powerboat but it's getting to be time to move on to bigger/better things. This is an inland lake boat and will be trailered most of the time. I'm thinking something around 28-32 feet would be just about right.

Things I like
-good deadrise for a smooth ride when the lake turns into a washing machine
-drop out bolsters
-easy ingress/egress to water when anchored
-nice sunpad
-comfort for 4-6 people
-easy 60mph cruise
-full hydraulic steering
-k planes
-speed

Things I dislike
-glass windshields
-left handed throttles
-open bows

Things I have no experience with
-stepped hulls
-twin engines
-cats
-outboards

What would you buy? For some reason 29' kryptonites are really appealing to me, though they don't fit a lot of my criteria. 28' Active Thunders seem pretty nice as well.

Last edited by Crossett; 03-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a 32 active thunder going with a 28 won't be a mistake Pat builds one of the best boats in the world. Best part is Pat owns Active Thunder you call him he will call you back that alone speaks for itself!! Ask anybody on this board what they think about Active Thunders don't think you will here one bad thing!!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
My little 24 outlaw has served me well as a first time powerboat but it's getting to be time to move on to bigger/better things. This is an inland lake boat and will be trailered most of the time. I'm thinking something around 28-32 feet would be just about right.

Things I like
-good deadrise for a smooth ride when the lake turns into a washing machine
-drop out bolsters
-easy ingress/egress to water when anchored
-nice sunpad
-comfort for 4-6 people
-easy 60mph cruise
-full hydraulic steering
-k planes
-speed

Things I dislike
-glass windshields
-left handed throttles
-open bows

Things I have no experience with
-stepped hulls
-twin engines
-cats

What would you buy? For some reason 29' kryptonites are really appealing to me, though they don't fit a lot of my criteria. 28' Active Thunders seem pretty nice as well.

Single engine rough water boats:

Kryptonite(as u said)
Rage/Activator
Y2K
Pantera
Active Thunder

Twin engine less than 32FT

32 Active Thunder( Griffs boat in classifieds now)
31 Cigarette Bullet
31 Sonic
302/311 Formula
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Registered

Easy 60 mph cruise is going to be tough unless you don't mind running your boat a lot harder than I do. To me you're going to need something with twin 496 HO's or blue motors for that. Most single engine boats top out in the upper 60's, low 70's so if you do go with a single it'll take big power. Another big factor is how old of a boat you're will to get.

I would think used 32 Sunsation with HO's or 500 efi's would be a good match for what you want.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Easy 60 mph cruise is going to be tough unless you don't mind running your boat a lot harder than I do. To me you're going to need something with twin 496 HO's or blue motors for that. Most single engine boats top out in the upper 60's, low 70's so if you do go with a single it'll take big power. Another big factor is how old of a boat you're will to get.

I would think used 32 Sunsation with HO's or 500 efi's would be a good match for what you want.
Right now my 60mph cruise consists of pushing the stick all the way forward, trimming up to the sweet spot, and running ~25 miles up the lake. I would like it to be a good deal easier than that. I won't shy away from big power. I've wrenched on cars for most of my life, wrenching on boats isn't that different. As far as age goes, it's more a factor of condition. I would much rather pay more for a 15 year old boat that was maintained well than less for a 5 year old one that was neglected.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered

No brainer... Griffs 32 AT in classifieds if you want a real offshore boat with twins. Easy to trailer too!

29 Warlock for a single...

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 03-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

There is also a 31 Sonic listed with HO's. Nicest cabin in that size IMO...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
No brainer... Griffs 32 AT in classifieds if you want a real offshore boay with twins. Easy to trailer too!

My first thought also.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
No brainer... Griffs 32 AT in classifieds if you want a real offshore boay with twins. Easy to trailer too!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o50584-en.html

I agree. I have ridden in his boat at loto on the 4th of July at 65+mph in the loto washing machine and I can't think of many boats in the size range you are shopping that will give you the ride that a 32' AT will

Last edited by baywatch; 03-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
bwd
Registered

I always had a high regard for a friends 33 outlaw Baja. I think the windscreen was alittle forward giving nice cockpit space. Deep but not too deep for mild oceans and stirred up lakes. Very peppy with not a lot of power. Black motors were more than enough power for it. With a swim platform of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.