Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Freakin Engine Builders... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/293932-freakin-engine-builders.html)

Jackdonz 04-02-2013 09:11 AM

Freakin Engine Builders...

Sometimes I just cant stand engine builders... whether its a actual engine shop doing it or someone that does it on the side at there house making extra money. Me being unlucky/dumb I guess Ive experienced both. WTF is the deal with engine builders not returning phone calls, emails, texts, etc!?!?

Because I recently moved here in Michigan, I didnt know many honest people for who to go too for my engine build. Its my fault for not going on the forums and asking where to go... ill take the blame for that.

So... the deal is that in January I dropped off my sbc short block(400sbc) for it to be rebuilt from a builder that was local and had a good rep form the local marinas. He would supply the recommend parts and use the aluminum heads I had. I stopped by his shop on the March 15th to drop off my aluminum heads I wanted to use and he said he would have a price on everything else the next day and the motor would be ready to go at the end of March. Thats the last Ive herd from him after giving him 3-4 phone calls and 2-3 text messages Over the past 2 weeks. No money has been given to him... I would just drive up to his shop but i am in and out of town for work. I know he is alive and well from word of mouth from my outdrive guy. Whats the next move in your peoples eyes... Ill have some free time this Saturday to go up to his shop, but thats it. This is the second builder that's done this to me and Im SICK of this. I WISH I KNEW HOW TO BUILD ENGINES!!! just do it myself!

Sorry... I had to vent a little...

TC G 04-02-2013 09:21 AM

It's time to spend some time at his shop.

chrisf695 04-02-2013 09:22 AM

Go up there Saturday and pick up your shi*t and take it somewhere else. Obviously hes not interested in building an engine for you.

Take it to Kent Housler in waterford, he built my 406sbc for me and it rips. His shop is called affordable marine.

innerrage 04-02-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by chrisf695 (Post 3897154)
Go up there Saturday and pick up your shi*t and take it somewhere else. Obviously hes not interested in building an engine for you.

Take it to Kent Housler in waterford, he built my 406sbc for me and it rips. His shop is called affordable marine. Looks like your in the same city as him.

+1 get your stuff back asap

PRIMECUT 04-02-2013 09:29 AM

Go up there and pick up your stuff, if theres no communication now you can only imagine once your engine is torn down and you stroke the deposit check. Is'nt Dave @ Wesco around your area ? have heard good things

chrisf695 04-02-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PRIMECUT (Post 3897164)
Go up there and pick up your stuff, if theres no communication now you can only imagine once your engine is torn down and you stroke the deposit check. Is'nt Dave @ Wesco around your area ? have heard good things

I think Dave is in the grand rapids area... Holly is kinda by grand blanc...

Jackdonz 04-02-2013 09:36 AM

How long can it take to build a motor? My last motor took 2 weeks and I had plenty of communication with my builder when I lived in Chicago.

bcfountain 04-02-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TC G (Post 3897152)
It's time to spend some time at his shop.

Rite on w/that
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Uncle Dave 04-02-2013 10:18 AM

Go pick up your sh-it.
It will only get worse once he has your money.

Also as another guy with a 406 let us know how the build goes.

Ive got a 21 foot tunnel running 90 with mine on pump gas and always interested to see different builds.

Uncle Dave

fantastixvoyage 04-02-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jackdonz (Post 3897172)
How long can it take to build a motor? My last motor took 2 weeks and I had plenty of communication with my builder when I lived in Chicago.

Actual build should be around 2 weeks but then you have to factor in any backlog. The good shops always have current projects but they should be very upfront with you on timing.

And not responding to calls/text in a timely manner is unacceptable in this day and age. Again, call me if I can be of any assistance...PM sent with my #.

Neil