Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!! >

God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!!

Notices

God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!!

Ok, Ive had this boat with the low water pick up Bravo drive ('99 model) for 3 Months and today is the second time Ive had problems. Today not 100 yards (thank God) from the landing I got on plane and proceeded to round a bend in the river and draged the lower unit through the sand (low water today). I knew as soon as it happenend. The passengers on the boat never felt it but I knew what I did. I came off of plane and everybody asked whats wrong?. I put it in neutral and reved it up and had no water pressure. All I said was I have to get back to the landing. So me missed the Boat Club cruise and didnt have anybodys cell number to tell them we werent comming. So I idled back to the landing and the high temp alarm went off just as we got there at 200 deg. I put it on the trailer and expected the outdrive intake to be pluged but it wasnt. Got it home and took off the hose from the sea pump and the entire hose is full of sand packed so tight that the hose feels like solid iron. I started drinking when I saw this (9AM) and we went to the destination by truck and met the club. We had a great time and our passengers were really troopers. They had fun any way.

The only thing I can think of to do short of changing the drive is to install a sea strainer. This probably wont help the sand situation but the first problem I had a strainer would have eliminated.

How much would it cost to change to a side water pick up or dual pick up lower unit?

Any other ideas?

Ron,
with a perfectly clean 70 hour 27 Fountain full of fuel with 5 lbs of sand in the engine.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only advice I can give you is this:

Stay out of the sand!

I've burnt up two impellers that way myself...

Ted
Old 07-20-2002, 08:25 PM
wilerty

I use an offshore pickup with a sea strainer. Works perfectly. If it picks up any sand I'll need a new outdrive.

Old 07-21-2002, 03:39 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Been there, done that, and yes, IT SUCKS!
Old 07-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Offshore pick-up???-------Are you refering to a transom mounted pick-up?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Banned

I have the same type of offshore pickups on my boat, and any time I run throught the least bit of floating grass, they become plugged and begin to overheat. Yesterday I had to send my girlfreind overboard twice to clear the grass, and once to pull me off a sandbar. Is there anyway to help prevent the grass from covering the intakes? It only takes a few strands to cause the temps to rise.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Anyone have an offshore pick-up mounted on a 27 Fountain? It gets pretty busy back there with the notched transom, K-planes, and hydraulic steering.

Ron
Old 07-21-2002, 09:58 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cuda, I'd say be sure you keep that girlfriend around. She sounds cheaper than a tow!
Old 07-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Registered

Ron,

Sorry you missed the run yesterday. Just got back from the camp. Heard Craig ran that Eliminator pretty hard out in the lake. Wish I had been there to see it. Also heard Julio got pretty tore up and was in fine form.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey rjcardinal

sounds like you need to get a water intqake pick up like too old.

I just installed one and it looks identical to too olds, buyt mine is angled on the rears it is 90 degreees to the bottom of the hull....

im going to write up an article about the installment of one and post it with pic's!!

ill send you a link!

cuda, I just poste don the donzi.net about your pick ups.

dont you have a piece of metal on the bottom of your intake to filter out the water intake???

Quick Reply: God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.