Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nothing ever goes right!!!!!!  Transom assembly doesn't fit!!! >

Nothing ever goes right!!!!!! Transom assembly doesn't fit!!!

Notices

Nothing ever goes right!!!!!! Transom assembly doesn't fit!!!

Old 07-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing ever goes right!!!!!! Transom assembly doesn't fit!!!

Seems I have an 89 transom assembly. One I got to replace it is a 90. It has the drive reseviour hose, my old one did not. Well, the inner plate doesn't have a hole for the fitting to come thru. Could not figure out why it would not go on. Pushed, shoved, even kicked it once. Would not go any further.

Can I simply grind out the material from the inner plate to let the fitting come thru??? Seems to me it wouldn't hurt anything in that area. BUT, I don't own a grinder. Tinkerboater, what are you doing tomorrow night?? Or Thursday night??? I need an electric grinder. I don't have air at home. I have a dremmel, but that would take like all night and several bits. A good grinder should be able to do it in about 10 minutes. Don't need much taken off, maybe the size of a quarter.

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! When will something go RIGHT??????????

Last edited by Waterfoul; 07-23-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:55 PM
VIP Member

Mike,
Keep cool buddy!!!! Look at the bright side, now you will always know if the drive has oil and what shape it is in. Sure its a little more work but worth it in the end.

Dave
Old 07-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Only problem is I don't have the tools to do the job. Love to go out and buy a grinder, but I'm so broke at the moment that I can't afford to pay attention!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a rough file you would be amazed how fast it will eat through that stuff. Only problem is with it being alluminum the file clogs up fast. So to clean it if you do not have a file card just keep some steel around that you can file once the file gets clogged up. Go file the steel and the alluminum will pop out. Use a harf round and you sould be set. Of course this is assiming that you can do this. Did you not get the inner transom plate with the transom assembly? Or are we talking the actuall transom of the boat that is getting in the way?

Jon
Old 07-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

No Jon, I don't get the inner plate with the outer assembly. The previous owner is still using the inners. In his.....gasp......Formula.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the matter with a bird!!!! Well do the file thing. Like I said you will be amazed at how fast it will go. The rougher the file the better. When you are done you can smooth it out with a less aggressive one.

Jon
Old 07-23-2002, 11:51 PM
Registered

Mike I have air and a grinder. It is actually a cutting wheel but if you need you can buy a bit.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike,
You or one of your neighbors must have an electric drill, you can drill a bunch of little holes next to each other and break out the piece and then file it smooth or just use a big bit to drill the hole.
Or like Jon suggested a file will cut it very quickly. Even with air tools and die grinders I think that it's still easier to use a file and a hacksaw for alot of things.

Hope it goes OK,

Caleb
Old 07-24-2002, 07:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

They make mills than can be chuched in a drill, A little slower but a lot faster than a hand file. - If the drill will reach.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:33 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You shouldn't be needing a large hole. Drill up to 1/2" and then use a coarse rat tail file to open it up the rest of the way. Won't be that much work. To determine the location, try putting some never sieze on the nipple and then slide the plate on. The never sieze will transfer showing exactly where to drill the hole.

Quick Reply: Nothing ever goes right!!!!!! Transom assembly doesn't fit!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.