Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/294608-looking-hones-sw-florida-does-fl-have-any-weird-boating-laws.html)

Scabby Jack 04-14-2013 06:52 PM

Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws?

Looking at waterfront homes in Cape Coral and haven't seen one performance boat there. All cruisers and fishing boats. All very quiet boats creeping down the canals. Is there a weird noise law or just the crowd too old for HP boats? If I bring my Superboat Y2K with dry exhaust will it be a problem?

314joey 04-14-2013 07:10 PM

My boat isn't a Superboat, but there's more performance boats around than you think, you've just got to know where they're at, check out the Ft. Myers Offshore (FMO) and you'll get a better idea what's going on down here.

We're out most weekends, lots of fun people and places to see, took a little time to know what's up, FMO is a great place to start, good luck.

cigboat1 04-14-2013 07:14 PM

Thats where old boaters go to die and clean fish guts ----wrong side of florida or a little farther south if you have to look on the west coast..... Also you will never get your money back if you buy there ......

Jim

Scabby Jack 04-14-2013 07:14 PM

Thanks and I will. I also found the state's website saying all boats must be muffled. Oh well.

skaterdave 04-14-2013 07:26 PM

trust me, theres NO noise laws.

put in at local ramp all the time, right next to guys cleaing fish guts. they love it !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZov0...ature=youtu.be

sprink58 04-14-2013 07:27 PM

I don't live over there so I don't know...but the perception over here is that Ft. Meyers is a normal place and Cape Coral is sort of like "City of the Living Dead". Naples probably has more millionaires per square mile than most places in the country and Marco Island is a beautiful place to go to the beach and relax.

Cape Coral like many places in Florida was originally set up as a retirement community for "The Greatest Generation". As they die out they are leaving the places to their "Boomer" kids who move in with rock and roll or sell them to Gen "X" ers. It's in a state of transition...sort of like Pompano Beach and Deerfield Beach over here.

We definitely have our noise Nazi's here in Florida. When I got into restoring my 255 Formula Liberator I got to the crossroads as to stay thru prop or thru hull. I studied it a bit and decided it wasn't worth the hassle to go loud so I keep it quiet.

Scabby Jack 04-14-2013 07:46 PM

I kind of liked how quiet it was in CC. It was a nice change.

northernoffshore 04-14-2013 07:50 PM

CC has strict local codes so storing your boat in your own yard on a trailer can sometimes be a problem.

skaterdave 04-14-2013 07:53 PM

only problem with the cape is has some laws about what you can park at your house and the lots are all the same size.

gets even more quite in a few more weeks. as for west palm and south nice beaches but traffic is alittle out of control especially the farther south towards miami. both have their plus-s depends on what your looking for.

314joey 04-14-2013 07:59 PM

I'm not sure about the fish guts, I haven't seen any of that yet and as far as which coast is best, it's the Gulf Coast, tons more to do, we boat from Punta Gorda (north) to Marco island (south) and plan on heading down to KW for a weekend trip soon.

Our boat is right behind our house, I guess you could boat on the east coast and go to the one and only stop on the way down to KW. lol :lolhit:

None of our neighbors say a word to me when we come rumbling in at night, they don't pay my bills.

We live over by Rumrunners.