Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
tell me about volvo IPS drives. good, bad, ugly ? >

tell me about volvo IPS drives. good, bad, ugly ?

Notices

tell me about volvo IPS drives. good, bad, ugly ?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tell me about volvo IPS drives. good, bad, ugly ?

First of all, NO , not for go fast boats. You may have noticed we have a project going on and we may use these for it.cant find spec, been waiting for call from volvo direct.....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, they sold 15,000 of them in 8 years, and pretty much own the big cruiser market. From the crank nut to the prop nut, they are 100% Volvo Penta; no partnerships, no finger-pointing. Systems are well integrated into the NMEA2000 universe. Installation specs are tightly controlled between VP and boatbuilders to ensure that no problems arise.

Volvo Penta IPS web site home page

IPS engine power options

Last edited by C_Spray; 04-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boot
First of all, NO , not for go fast boats. You may have noticed we have a project going on and we may use these for it.cant find spec, been waiting for call from volvo direct.....
No, not for "go fast". I didnt notice...what is this project you speak of?
When you say "these": do you mean IPS 1, 2 or 3?....Which engine?
Cant find spec? What "spec". What is it exactly you are looking for?
Been waiting for a call? From whom? Whom did you reach out too? Are you an OEM, Dealer, Repower candidate?
Back to your project question...feel free to PM me....My brother's best friend's cousin, knew a guy that met someone that once drank beer with a guy that retired from VP.

Last edited by High Cetane; 04-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Well, they sold 15,000 of them in 8 years, and pretty much own the big cruiser market. From the crank nut to the prop nut, they are 100% Volvo Penta; no partnerships, no finger-pointing. Systems are well integrated into the NMEA2000 universe. Installation specs are tightly controlled between VP and boatbuilders to ensure that no problems arise.

Volvo Penta IPS web site home page

IPS engine power options
thanks C spray. looks like it might work, but Ive been away from boats so long I haven't kept up on the local gossip. You know the boat world. things change ! Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by High Cetane
No, not for "go fast". I didnt notice...what ie s this project you speak of?
When you say "these": do you mean IPS 1, 2 or 3?....Which engine?
Cant find spec? What "spec". What is it exactly you are looking for?
Been waiting for a call? From whom? Whom did you reach out too? Are you an OEM, Dealer, Repower candidate?
Back to your project question...feel free to PM me....My brother's best friend's cousin, knew a guy that met someone that once drank beer with a guy that retired from VP.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ater-help.html

heres a link to the idea. long and short we gonna build large steel modular boats for a comercial platform. and then some yachts. starting at about 80' long and 35' wide, three stories tall. weighing maybe 100k lbs or so. no need to go fast. just very manuverable. I come from speed. I know bravo's , speed masters , and arnesons. dont know much about slow. oh and they are all "green". No , not the color, but easy on the planet. solar, wind, hydrogen , water treatment, and mostly all recycled material for construction. Oh, and inexpensive by comparison to other same size vessels.
The call I am waiting for is from Scott Bond and Volvo. I had called one of their biggest installers and he put a call into scott. Just waitin........

Thanks,Joe
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Biggest Installers? Wow...
Uhm anywho, sorry to dissapoint, but you might want to look for another Power option. The only engine even in the neighborhood is the D13 which coupled to an IPS3 ("IPS1050") has only a rating 4) in Commercial.
Right now their goal is Pilot Boats and fast response hulls. Your application is neither of these. Which brings up the other dealbreaker:
Propping.
They only have wheels (& ratio)that go as low as 28kts in IPS3, nothing for non-planing hulls.
Good Luck-
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by High Cetane
Biggest Installers? Wow...
Uhm anywho, sorry to dissapoint, but you might want to look for another Power option. The only engine even in the neighborhood is the D13 which coupled to an IPS3 ("IPS1050") has only a rating 4) in Commercial.
Right now their goal is Pilot Boats and fast response hulls. Your application is neither of these. Which brings up the other dealbreaker:
Propping.
They only have wheels (& ratio)that go as low as 28kts in IPS3, nothing for non-planing hulls.
Good Luck-
Hi, thanks for the info. The problem with talking in type is you can,t tell if some is being sarcastic or really interested in helping..... sometimes people don,t have all the fact or details. Sometimes it still a secret to obtain a patend on. You sound like you have some knowledge . We arejust buying drives , we have the power covered. You say 28 kts minimum? If we slowthe engine or input shaft, that would slowit down, right? Or, maybe your right. Thats why i am waiting for their call. Maybe i need to go elsewhere. Z drive or azipod... thanks for playing along. Joe
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boot
Hi, thanks for the info. The problem with talking in type is you can,t tell if some is being sarcastic or really interested in helping..... sometimes people don,t have all the fact or details. Sometimes it still a secret to obtain a patend on. You sound like you have some knowledge . We arejust buying drives , we have the power covered. You say 28 kts minimum? If we slowthe engine or input shaft, that would slowit down, right? Or, maybe your right. Thats why i am waiting for their call. Maybe i need to go elsewhere. Z drive or azipod... thanks for playing along. Joe
Your welcome.
Agreed, talking in type can indeed create ambiguity. I'm still at a loss as to why you would call another OEM, and ask to be relayed to Volvo's Field Service Rep. And then, you're put off when said field rep doesnt ever call you(?).

From what I've seen & been told, all "installers" (including your "biggest") actually have a Volvo Application Engineer onsite, thruout every build, at their beck & call.
This individual is a rep of their Sales dept & would love to get a sale, if applicable. Its a small band of builders out there, so engine guys are hungry.
But, I digress.
VP doesnt sell just IPS drives. Your OEM contact should have told you that.
I hope that clears it up and that you find what you are looking for elsewhere.
"Playing along"?....whatever.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Registered

Thanks, the reason i call another installeris because iwas allover vp`s site and cound find no REAL contact number. They dont makeit easy.thanksfor the info.