Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1000 Island Poker Run? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29476-1000-island-poker-run.html)

GRH 07-24-2002 01:43 PM

1000 Island Poker Run?

I am hoping to attend the 1000 Island Poker Run August 23-25 and want to bring my family.... wife& 2 kids.... having never satyed in that area, AlexBay, I have no idea where to try to make resevations.... obviously I'd like something with dock facilities... Any help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks - Gary.;)

Shane 07-24-2002 01:45 PM

Gary call me on this. I have all the info you need.

Shane:cool:

EvilTwin 07-24-2002 03:40 PM

Gary,

My girlfriend and I are also going up for that weekend. It would be nice if we bumped into you up there, as it will be my first time as well. I saw you on Sacandaga sunday in mosquito bay (nice name). I wish I didn't have the company on my boat, I would have liked to have talked to you.

Shane,

Are you going to the poker run? I too would like some information on places to stop and see.

Thanks
ET

Shane 07-24-2002 03:48 PM

My wife and I were originally going to run my Skater together in the run, but then my wife's step brother decided the 25th was a good day to get married. I MAY have gotten the green light to go and run with a friend in his 28 Skater. Not 100% sure yet. She will let me know shortly. So as of now I MAY be there and I MAY NOT.:) :( HOPEFULLY it will be:). I spoke to Gary and since he will not be entering and bringing the whole family, Alex Bay is the place to stay. The run begins and ends in Gananoque, Canada and that is whee most of the boats will be parked. If you are looking for a family destination Alex Bay is the place. If you are just looking at doing the high performance boat thing then go over the bridge to Gananoque. Your money goes MUCH further over there as well.;)

In Alex Bay the RiverEdge is teh nicest place by far but there are MANY other really nice and quaint places as well. Hop on the chambers web site and look around. Tuff finding rooms though. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Hustler 26 07-24-2002 11:56 PM

Sorry but the Riveredge is booked for that weekend. Something about a convention. Try Pine Tree Point or The Edgewood(not closed yet) . For a cheap clean room in the heart of A-bay try the Ship Motel. It is within walking distance of all the fun spots. Almost forgot, you might try Bonnie Castle Resort.

GRH 07-25-2002 08:57 AM

ET - Are you bringing your boat to AlexBay? I had both my kids with me when I saw you in "Stump Alley" (Mosq. Bay).... that area scares me a bit.... very shallow with lots of "land mines" hidden on the bottom... I'll be at the camp all weekend if your around stop down... Maybe I should participate in the run... If SHANE can run his 24 Skater there should be no trouble enttering the 24 SUPERBOAT... I thought that event had a 26' minimum? SHANE... any comment....

Shane 07-25-2002 09:02 AM

NOPE!:p :p :eek: :eek: :o :o

Team V 07-25-2002 09:40 AM

Actually there is a 28' minimum length requirement. I also heard it is going to be strictly enforced from now on, due to an incident on the June run.
I ran in a little run up there this past weekend with 30+ boats, let me tell you, it gets ROUGH. I couldn't imagine running with over 100 boats, even if they do split them up. I talked to guy's who rode in 30+ length boats on the June/August runs who said there is no way they can hang with the big guys. Just stayed back and took a beating from their wakes.

Shane 07-25-2002 09:46 AM

Shane and Hot Boat's reply:

WHATEVER!;)

Team V 07-25-2002 10:03 AM

Let me clarify, I'm not trying to talk anybody out of entering... by all means, run if you can, it is a total rush!
But if you have a glass windshield.. be prepared for it to be laying in your lap by the end of the day!

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 11:02 AM

Gary,

Yes I am bringing the boat with me. We are putting in at Keewaydin State park Marina (just down from Alex bay). I too would love to enter it, but I am just going to be a spectator. I am going to be there from 8/22-8/26. If we could meet up somewhere that would be great (we can all get lost together). This weekend I hope to be out on the lake. As long as my boat is done, I am having the exhaust done this week. It should be done. I hope to finally meet you officially. I think Shane should come up to the real lake, that is if he isn't too scared!!! LOL. I would like to go to Lake George at least once this year, but I hear horror stories of being ticketed for loud exhaust/speeding. I don't know to what extent this holds true. I would like to go though if Shane can keep me out of trouble. I hope to see you this weekend Gary.

Later,

Chris (ET)

Shane 07-25-2002 11:53 AM

Chris,

Noise is a bigger issue than speed. If you have silent choice you will be fine, just shut teh thru hull exhaust off when coming in to shore. As far as speeding goes, just use your head. If you are not running 80 on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, down the middle of the lake through the sail boat races you are okay. You just need to pick and choose where and when you let it all hang out. I would love to have you guys up to my house. Let's try and make it happen. The weekend of August 9,10 and 11 there are vintage boat races in the village. You know, the old gold cup and hydro's? Maybe a gathering that weekend would be fun. What do you guys think?

GRH 07-25-2002 12:21 PM

SHANE I'd luv to come up that weekend!

ET - I'm trying to find someplce to stay in ALEXBAY.... where are you staying?

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 12:24 PM

Shane,

That sounds great. I would like to be on the lake with a boat instead of always on the ice with the sled. I'm up for it, and it would be great if we got a few more to join us. Thank you for the offer. That means we have to get you to Sacandaga. This weekend?

Chris

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 12:37 PM

Gary,

My girlfriend and I are staying on the boat at Keewaydin marina. It is not going to be an extravagant long weekend. I hope it is nice. It has a pool, showers, bathrooms etc. Nothing fancy but it gives me a place for the boat and puts me close to alot of the action (I hope). They have security on the docks and Shore power (not that I need it). For my boat it is $22.50 a night. Not bad and I think it will be a safe place for the boat. I am kind of picky about that. I understand you will be with your family, so I'm sure this doesn't help you much. I'm sure you will be staying at a much better place than I. Shane will be much more helpful than I. I'm sorry I couldn't help anymore, but I'm a newbie at alex bay myself. I have maps and travel guides to help me. I think we should take Shanes offer that weekend and get together on Lake George.

Chris

Shane 07-25-2002 01:45 PM

So what is going on this weekend? I don't really have any plans other than painting my gearcases Saturday. If I paint them Saturday do you think I can run them on Sunday? I am just wondering if teh paint will be hardened enough by then. Then are you guys up for coming for the races? let me check with the ole 'ady and see if she has any agenda. Usually she doesn't. I'll let you know shortly.

Shane

Shane 07-25-2002 01:50 PM

Have gotten the all clear! Wife is leaving for Colorado Sunday night. The parents are coming up for the race as well. Should be alot fun. We can work out the details next week. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the lake soon.

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 01:55 PM

Shane,

Depending on where you paint them (in garage, outdoors) they should be ready. They will dry alot faster inside out of the humidity (which it is going to be this weekend). Paint them early Saturday and come up to the lake on Sunday. Or just come up without the boat. My boat might be able to carry 4 people.;) Your welcome to ride with us. We can meet up with Gary. I will show you around the "Real Lake". Let me know what you think.

Chris

Shane 07-25-2002 02:11 PM

Chris,

I will PM you my phone numbers. Call me and we can formulate a plan. I was thinking that we can talk Sunday morning first thing. If they are dry I can bring the Skater if not, maybe hop on with you and Gary and bum a ride for the day;) For the races you guys can ride with me:D

GRH 07-25-2002 02:43 PM

SHANE - if you have a light.... put it on the gearcases.... it'll help it harden.... BTW.... gearcases are faster in primer then when painted..... paint never seems to stay on long anyway.... bring the boat.... launce at Edinburg Marine... $10 for the day includes parking.... nice easy launch there.... no wind & a dock.... if not...I'll PM you our camp #.... call Sunaday morn & I can give you directions to the camp.... 5 min. from Edinburg Marina.....

ET - your boat plane off with 4 aboard?:D ;)

Shane 07-25-2002 02:53 PM

With all the offers, not knowing the lake, and painting my drives Saturday, maybe hooking up with you guys Sunday late morning and bumming ride would be best (with fuel money in hand of course)! I will have to go from Lake George to Niskayuna first cuz we are dog sitting my parents yellow lab for a few days while they go to Canada. So I have to drop him off at our house first then shoot up to the "pond" uh, I mean Sacandaga.:p

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 02:58 PM

Gary,

It does slowly with the two in the back seat paddling. Shane I hope you can row fast.:D I also have a place five minutes from my house. It is the new State boat launch. BIG and beautiful launch and there is no charge. Great parking.

Shane 07-25-2002 03:01 PM

Chris,

State launch. Big and wide (like I prefer my women:eek: JK) Why don't we all touch base Saturday night? Did you get my PM?

GRH 07-25-2002 03:03 PM

SHANE - Chris is right about that new launch.... it great... but if you're towing from LG you'd have to drive half an hour past Edinburg to get to it.... If you're towing from Niskayuna.... The State ramp is closer....

ET - I have a paddle & I'm pretty fast....;)

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 03:07 PM

Shane,

I do have your numbers. I will call you tonight. Labs are great dogs. I have a black Lab. You have many options and whatever I can do to get you up there let me know. What do you think Gary, if he comes up he may want to sell his house on Lake George and find a place on Sacandaga!!!:D

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 03:13 PM

Shane,

Sounds good. I will call you.

Gary,

Don't you know, the men never paddle! The women are suppose to do that!:D :D I will Email you my numbers so we can get in touch.

Shane 07-25-2002 03:13 PM

Would you guys mind if I just rode along with one of you for my first time on the lake other than on a snowmobile? I would feel more comfortable not knowing the waters and such. I have to Niskayuna first to drop off mom and dads dog so where would be best to meet you guys? At the park? I will be contributing to the gas fund so please do not think I want a free ride. I have just heard so many horror stories about the stumps and shallow waters that I am a bit apprehensive until I get a littel acquainted if you know what I mean.

Shane 07-25-2002 03:15 PM

ET,
Call me tonight in Niskayuna. Tomorrow night I will be at the races in Malta helping out a buddy who is/was in the points lead in the 358 Modifieds.

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 03:32 PM

Shane,

If you are coming from Nisky, go right to my house. It is one of the first parts of the lake you will come too. You are more than welcome to ride with us. We can pick up Gary at his house. I found it a few weeks ago by boat. If that is alright with Gary. I will call you tonight. No money necessary.

Shane 07-25-2002 05:02 PM

ET,

THANKS! That sounds great. What time is good? I look forward to speaking with you tonight.

wwwTOPDJcom 07-25-2002 08:52 PM

Any place left to stay I usually stay at the fishermans wharf
but I was up there for the 4th and no rooms left
need dockage for my 25'er Im not coming without it!
camping would be ok but need to be in the alex bay area

hammereab 07-26-2002 03:21 PM

Topdj, give Otter Creek Inn a shot. I'll be staying there. They have dockage and it's clean and cheap. 315-482-5248

BORDERLINE 07-26-2002 04:48 PM

hey guys if you want to stay on the canadian side try the Glenhouse Resort. 613-659-2204. Its half way between the bridge and Gan (approx 5 miles to town) and good dockage as well as awsome food. Indoor and outdoor pool, hot tubs ect.
I think rates are pretty reasonable.

If anyone needs a dock slip with power I believe mine will be free that weekend.

hammereab 07-26-2002 07:23 PM

Topdj,I forgot to mention that Otter Creek is in A-Bay.

Bo 08-07-2002 11:19 PM

Lake George

Hey everyone where is the action this weekend? I am from the Albany area and may go up to the LG or Sacandaga area this weekend if we get my drive back together. Let me know It'd be cool to meet some other OSO members. Cya
Bo

otis311 08-08-2002 07:58 AM

Bo what happened to your drive. You baby that boat way to much to be breaking stuff

Bob

Shane 08-08-2002 08:15 AM

Bo,

I will be at my home on Lake George Saturday with Evil Twin and his MUCH BETTER half. We are going to the races in the village. I am not sure (highly unlikely) that I will have teh new bearing and bearing carrier in the Skater so i will probably be with him and Diane in their Baja. Laster and his otehr half will be there to and I don't know about OTIS311, he never got back to us. GRH HAS to be at a block party because his boss, uh I mean wife said so!hahahahaha:p :p :p :p

Luvoffshore 08-08-2002 08:21 AM

I'm there

I'm going to be there from 8/22-25. It sure would be nice to meet up with some OSO people. I'm at the Edgewood under last name Cosselman. I expect to be at Cavallario's Friday night for a big bash from what I have heard! :D :cool:

EvilTwin 08-08-2002 09:16 AM

Bo,

I just called your cell and left you a message. Give me a call at work. Frank came up to my house last night and did a few things to the boat then we took a spin on the lake. I think I got him hooked on Sacandaga. You have to come to the "Big" lake. Let's get together this weekend.