100-mph Chaparral Project Update: Major Hull and Deck Surgery Underway

Notices

100-mph Chaparral Project Update: Major Hull and Deck Surgery Underway

Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

88VILLAINiii,

Although a big part of me thinks you're crazy for sinking so much money into that hull, another part of me congratulates you for following your heart.

That said, please be careful. It's very easy to over-power many hulls - yours included. This will manifest itself several ways. First, you may find some evil handling traits at higher speeds. (That hull just wasn't designed to go that fast.)

Second, you will find the limits of the hull construction - which can be equally dangerous. True high performance boats utilize very different construction techniques and materials. They need to because their hulls are hitting things (waves, etc.) at much higher velocities and have to be able to withstand that kind of abuse. So even if you attain your goal of 100 MPH on relatively flat water, beware running that boat hard in bigger water. It may just come apart around you and your passengers.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
I think its a cool project...but In everything that's happening in the offshore world...a 21 Chaparral is "news worthy"
That might be a tad harsh....Matt and crew do a great job...but yall know what I mean
I thought its a cool boat. But this news? Is not a whole lot different than the hundreds of projects anyone can follow on this site.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
88VILLAINiii,

Although a big part of me thinks you're crazy for sinking so much money into that hull, another part of me congratulates you for following your heart.

That said, please be careful. It's very easy to over-power many hulls - yours included. This will manifest itself several ways. First, you may find some evil handling traits at higher speeds. (That hull just wasn't designed to go that fast.)

Second, you will find the limits of the hull construction - which can be equally dangerous. True high performance boats utilize very different construction techniques and materials. They need to because their hulls are hitting things (waves, etc.) at much higher velocities and have to be able to withstand that kind of abuse. So even if you attain your goal of 100 MPH on relatively flat water, beware running that boat hard in bigger water. It may just come apart around you and your passengers.

Good luck with your project!
X2, this is a much better way of saying what I meant. Good luck villain!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Wink

I can remember back when I was ordering parts to build my SBC some of the vendors here thought I was crazy because everyone that was anyone built BBC for boats . Oh how times have changed . As long as your thinking doesn't conform to conventional wisdom people will be quick to judge and throw stones , mia culpa . Good luck , have fun and most of all be safe . Life is short so we've got to do the things that make us happy .
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
I thought its a cool boat. But this news? Is not a whole lot different than the hundreds of projects anyone can follow on this site.
Is this "news?" No, this is a project story. Speedonthewater.com does a lot of news stories. News, by definition, has a different set of criteria.

Yes, there are hundreds of projects out there, so many that one site cannot possibly follow all of them. At present, speedonthewater is following a number of different project stories at various levels. But I would gently ask you: What other web site is trying to follow even a few of them? I'm not talking about an offshoreonly member posting about his own project, which is very cool and worthwhile. I'm talking about a a news and feature site including some project coverage. That we can't possibly cover "hundreds" of them does not diminish the significance of those we do.

Obviously, the project is of little to no informational value to you. Fair enough, but keep in mind the key words—to you. A lot of people like it, a lot of people don't, which in a way makes it a perfect project story. From a journalistic standpoint, I like this story because it is as grassroots as it gets.

If you have a project you'd like us to cover, we're not exactly hard to reach and we're good about returning phone calls and emails. Feel free to contact us here or through the speedonthewater.com site.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 04-24-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Registered

The strength of the Hull is not a problem with the older Chaparral boats. They were not lightweights. Construction of them was second to none. The Deep V hulls the were made from is still copied to this day, they were cutting edge for their time. I know mine weighs in at a stout 5200 lbs, construction of these was not spared. Very well built boats in the time they were built. Almost every inch of this this boat is 1.5" thick. and nothing seems to flex on it. The older Chap boats are no joke, and stand up to the test of quality. Very few VillainIII were built, they were pretty pricey in the day. And are very sought after to this day.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Villian III
Being the owner of an 88 VillainIII boat I can appreciate what the OP is doing. Although my boat looks alot different than his, mine has a molded in swim platform, and a different windshield. Just before I purchased the boat the transom and stringers were replaced, along with complete interior re
upolstery. More money was put into the boat 2X over than what iI purchased it for. It also has the stock 7.4L power plant in it and has no problem getting to 65 MPH with 70 gallons of fuel and all the cargo and passengers on it. I looked for a long time before I found the right one, and this was the boat I was looking for, love the lines and performance of this one.[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck, cool project. Buddy had the same boat, and ran 64 and some change on the GPS with 3 of us ( all 225lbs, and a full big igloo cooler) Boat was fairly stable as well, seemed to be built well.

John jr
Attached Thumbnails 100-mph Chaparral Project Update: Major Hull and Deck Surgery Underway-532075_4320869139181_1159867863_n.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
If putting 4x the NADA value in a old boat to make it brand new again dumb and a bad investment, that makes buying a new boat off the showroom floor a smart investment. lol

I hope your project is a success!

XT
So true, those new ones are gonna bring every dollar someone spent on it back when sold.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Is this "news?" No, this is a project story. Speedonthewater.com does a lot of news stories. News, by definition, has a different set of criteria.

Yes, there are hundreds of projects out there, so many that one site cannot possibly follow all of them. At present, speedonthewater is following a number of different project stories at various levels. But I would gently ask you: What other web site is trying to follow even a few of them? I'm not talking about an offshoreonly member posting about his own project, which is very cool and worthwhile. I'm talking about a a news and feature site including some project coverage. That we can't possibly cover "hundreds" of them does not diminish the significance of those we do.

Obviously, the project is of little to no informational value to you. Fair enough, but keep in mind the key words—to you. A lot of people like it, a lot of people don't, which in a way makes it a perfect project story. From a journalistic standpoint, I like this story because it is as grassroots as it gets.

If you have a project you'd like us to cover, we're not exactly hard to reach and we're good about returning phone calls and emails. Feel free to contact us here or through the speedonthewater.com site.
We need all the coverage boats can get Matt, and you do a fantastic job of creating interesting topics. The things learned from projects such as this can make people wonder about their own, or even decide it's not their thing. But the only way to find out is to read about it, or venture into the dark world of the unknown.

I'm following this project only because you have decided to cover it. I know I will Never do such a project myself, but I enjoy reading about it. The world is a big place. Boating is quite vast in the differences between hull styles, mission and purpose. People of all boating preferences benefit from reading all kinds of articles about boats in general, and projects like this are not covered hardly at all.

I like it to people that read Popular Mechanics articles, maybe even read about fast cars they will never own. But boating is pretty special, because each type of boat has a purpose of some sort, and you never know what might interest you as being Cool. It's always fun to read about something new and interesting, especially when an everyday guy is doing it. People on this site should be interested, as it specifically relates to speed and modifications. And mostly, because it involves a boater showing something he would like to do.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Who cares what the $$$ cost to make X boat go X speed. Thats what it is all about. some of you guys are _______________________

John jr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.