Notices

Hey Michigan People.....!!!

Old 07-25-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Michigan People.....!!!

29scarab here! From Texas!

I posted about a week ago my contract was up and looking for work. Just found out yesterday I got a job at a power plant in Covert, Michigan!!!!

Anybody familiar with this area? I'm suppose to be there for a year. I'm suppose to be at the job site by next wednesday!!!

Anyone give me some help on:

Place to live
Closest Airport
Athletic Club
Food

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Shawn
Old 07-25-2002, 08:49 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well man I'll tell you what I know.....Covert is a hole! but your not fare from South Haven or St Joe.....Kaama might be able to help with some details he grew up near St. Joe. Your right on Lake Michigan dont get no better than that!will you bring your boat?
Don
Old 07-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Yep, Covert should be cheap living You might want to consider a 1/2 hour commute from South Haven
Seriously though, I haven't been through Covert in quite some time now. I must say it didn't look to prosperous the last time through (hunny, lock the doors) There are some nicer areas in the vacinity though and you are close to Lake Michigan too!!
Don't forget to bring the boat!!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

yo yo yo, 29scarab is in da haaaauuuuuse.

Yo, dog? Ya'll gonna gettin a crib in da hood?

Seriously, I'd live in South Haven or Coloma/Watervliet and drive in. Covert is not a high income area and in between Watervliet and South Haven on M-140. But you're 20 minutes or so from Lake MI in any event.

The closest athletic clubs are in St Joseph, Southshore and YMCA and one other gym. DOH, one in Coloma I forgot about, but just weights and aerobics, no fancy ceee-ment ponds er nuttin. Food, well, there's food everywhere. MOstly in that area, you'll have to drive to Coloma or South Haven though.

If you live in St Joe, it's a 30-40 minute drive, though. But finding a house/apartment in St Joe area will be easiest. If you want more info or help, email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help a brutha out

Mark
Old 07-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I appreciate the feedback guys!!

It sounds like I St. Joe or South Haven is the way to go all around. I tracked directions on mapquest and it looks like about a 1250 mile ride. I'll be leaving monday and should be there by tuesday sometime.

If I rememeber correctly from when I was Chicago it started getting cold sometime in August up there. I'm going to find a place to live before bringing the boat up. There ought to be plenty of places to store the boat up there.

Thanks again!

I'm definitely going to look some of you guys up when I get there!!

Shawn
Old 07-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Default Cold In August??

Shawn,

What's cold, anything below 75 degrees? LOL . Hell it don't get cold until November(still boating season, though).
Old 07-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

29Scarab,

WELCOME to MICHIGAN Shawn! I think I know exactly where you're going. They're just completing a new power plant that's just outside and north of the little town called Covert. You can see the new plant from the highway---I pass by there ALL THE TIME! This new plant is very close to the Palisades Nuclear Plant. If I were you, I would prefer to live in St. Joe---If you drive at 75mph it might take you only 15-20 minutes or so to get to your new work place. South Haven will be a little closer BUT, South Haven doesn't have NEAR the harbor and facilities as St. Joseph does. South Haven is a nice place to visit, but extremely tight and that makes it VERY crowded there---not a very big harbor area at all. St. Joseph is much more open and vast than South Haven. Plus, you'll see more of the performance boating crowd in St. Joseph. But who knows, perhaps you might like South Haven more. Either way, you'll love the fresh open waters of the Great Lakes, HUGE sand dunes and sandy beaches of Michigan!

Mark/KAAMA
Old 07-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

KAAMA

Thanks for the welcome! How about apartments or house rental.

Looking for something down the middle for price range. Don't want to live in a dump, but don't waste money on something that is not mine.

Plus, I get to pocket all the extra expense money!!

Furnished or unfurnished 2 bedroom or large 1 bedroom apartment??
Old 07-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Covert is a dump like everyone said, but it is real close to South Haven and Lake Michigan. I have some friends that live on the lake between South Haven and Douglas that may be able to locate some rental property. PM me if your interested.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:04 PM
flylevel

1) Find a house in South Haven with property.
2) Build a large Pole Barn.
3) Hang out at Caption Lou's.
4) drink Rum Runners.
5) Be Happy!!!

Quick Reply: Hey Michigan People.....!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.