Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Box anchor in Great Lakes, specifically Lake Michigan. >

Box anchor in Great Lakes, specifically Lake Michigan.

Notices

Box anchor in Great Lakes, specifically Lake Michigan.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box anchor in Great Lakes, specifically Lake Michigan.

I have a fortress FX-11 anchor for my velocity 260 right now and absolutely love it, minus the size. I boat primarily in Chicago and normally anchor in protected waters where holding power isn't a huge deal. During the bigger events I'm out in open water and need to keep the boat held solid in 5-6' swells with other boats in close proximity and 30ish ft of water. The fortress held me for 8 hours in 6 footers during the air and water show last year with zero issues. I've got 150' of line and 10' of 1/4" chain hanging off the anchor. It's a good time yanking the SOB back in the boat!

I'm considering a box anchor for the space savings but wanted some first hand experience in similar conditions before spending the money.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Large Box Anchor Holds my Top Gun Straight Bottom. No problems. Its a little bulky and heavy, but it gets the job done. When I put it out, I can have a few boats tied with me and it still has tons of holding power. You won't be disapointed. I am sure others will chime in. Best anchor out there.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Depends what you've got on the bottom. I have seen a box anchor fail miserably off the city...won't hold at ALL if you land it in a weed bed...and there's a lot of that in the Playpen and in the general area you'd be anchoring at for Air and Water. Ask OSO member JaimeB...couldn't get his Cig to set at all a couple years ago using a box...ended up just rafting off me.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. I don't even want to chance it with a box then. The fortress I have is oversized for my boat and absolutely will not pull out. Last summer while out with a friend on his boat we lost a prop as a storm was rolling in. he has a fortress as well. the anchor held in 8' while waiting on a tow. it ripped two cleats off the boat without lifting. I was immediately sold on buying one. Also sold on never letting other people do my maintenance haha. We had some bad times on his boat last year. Lost a starter, that prop, and blew an oil line all in a three week span.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

My large box anchor won't hold my 31' Sonic on a muddy river bottom. The wind actually blows me upriver!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Large Box Anchor Holds my Top Gun Straight Bottom. No problems. Its a little bulky and heavy, but it gets the job done. When I put it out, I can have a few boats tied with me and it still has tons of holding power. You won't be disapointed. I am sure others will chime in. Best anchor out there.
Are you using a chain, and enough line? Suprised to hear this
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LOVE MY BOX LOL, i boat in a river with sandy bottoms. It never moves, and every one of my boat buddys bought them a Box too, after seeing how well my worked!!

Skydog
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The Box Anchor is advertised as not needing chain. It suits it's design too. If tide or current swaps you 180*, the Box Anchor is designed to flip over and reset, as it has a built in bar that is used as a lever, and takes the place of the chain.

That said, in heavy weed beds, the Box Anchor is useless. On the brackish river waters of the Mid-Atlantic we have 'hydrilla' seaweed and it's even damn near impossible to walk on, much less set an anchor though. It can be 1-6" thick of walking on a loosely dense sponge like material.

I've only had one instance when I could not use my Box Anchor, and it was in a thick hydrilla bed as described above. Notable: NO ONE was able to get an anchor to set that day though! Beaching was the only option.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I had a medium box anchor (well actually still do and will be for sale) and while fine for my 33 Baja in the calm it will not hold when the waves kick up. I now have a Fortress for the Cig.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aluminum fortress here on Lake Michigan. When you can't get it out,you need to drive over the top of it it will come right up

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.