Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do the majority of Poker Run Incidents happen on Lakes? >

Do the majority of Poker Run Incidents happen on Lakes?

Notices

Do the majority of Poker Run Incidents happen on Lakes?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patyacht
Added Ozarks above.
I am not sure that the LOTO Fountain incident was part of a Poker Run. If it was it was late in the run and they were on a run to the first card stop. There is a lot of rough water boating on Shootout Weekend and there is some very rough water on that lake that weekend. Fifty miles per hour in that stuff can cause issues if you hit it wrong. Here is a link to some pictures that I found on the web.

http://2011lotoleavingshootout.shutterfly.com/17#38

Last edited by E Dock DD; 05-04-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added pictures link
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
SOTW
LOTO
Desert Storm
1000 Islands
Cumberland
Texoma

I can think of major incidents on all of them right off the top of my head.

It pains me to type this, but I can't help but think about it.

Why this grouping on lakes (both small and large); as compared to open water runs like FPC events, Chesapeake Bay, SCOPE, the Caribbean Islands... ??
Added Ozarks above.
Originally Posted by E Dock DD
I am not sure that the LOTO Fountain incident was part of a Poker Run. If it was it was late in the run and they were on a run to the first card stop. There is a lot of rough water boating on Shootout Weekend and there is some very rough water on that lake that weekend. Fifty miles per hour in that stuff can cause issues if you hit it wrong. Here is a link to some pictures that I found on the web.

http://2011lotoleavingshootout.shutterfly.com/17#38
Yup, the Fountain accident had nothing to do with any poker run and poker runs are permitted with a speed limit on Lake of the Ozarks like Griff said.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've been boating for over thirty years and I've never seen anything like it was leaving the Shootout last year at LOTO, at the end of the day when it started raining with hundreds of boats getting up and running there were 6'-7' rollers, the whole way from the 31MM to our house at the 23MM we could barely keep my Formula on plane and had water coming over the bow, it sucked.

But there were still idiots screamin' by us WOT, I've got video of some of these stupids, we couldn't believe it.

Last edited by 314joey; 05-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I've been boating for over thirty years and I've never seen anything like it was leaving the Shootout last year at LOTO, at the end of the day when it started raining with hundreds of boats getting up and running there were 6-7 rollers, the whole way from the 31MM to our house at the 23MM we could barely keep my Formula on plane and had water coming over the bow, it sucked.

But there were still idiots screamin' by us WOT, I've got video of some of these stupids, we couldn't believe it.
We saw a 400SS running full throttle and came a few feet from running over a small runabout that was disappearing between the rollers. Runabout was way too small for that water, but the 400SS was an idiot.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I've been boating for over thirty years and I've never seen anything like it was leaving the Shootout last year at LOTO, at the end of the day when it started raining with hundreds of boats getting up and running there were 6-7 rollers, the whole way from the 31MM to our house at the 23MM we could barely keep my Formula on plane and had water coming over the bow, it sucked.

It wasn't too bad for us. We just got a little spray over the bow twice. We did 30mph back and I allowed a little 14-15ft SeaDoo jet boat to follow in my wake so he didn't get swamped or beat up by the huge waves. I could have throttled up and left him but I felt sorry for him and his wife getting caught in that kind of big water.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Added Ozarks above.
That LOTO Fountain wasn't on the poker run it was coming back from the Shootout... Just the normal washing machine where people run over their abilities...
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Granted, it was on Lake Michigan, but is it 100% on LM, or part of a finger lake as well? And I'm certain that Marc will know... where on the run did the incident take place?

I'll go back and tweak my post, but we splitting hairs doesn't really make a difference.
The accident happened on open water. It had nothing to do with water size or conditions. The guy ran past the card stop, realized he had past the stop, and just decided to yank the wheel left at 130 MPH in a Vee bottom to get to the card stop. We were pretty close behind them in Rare Breed, and that's a day I'll never forget.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain4play
That LOTO Fountain wasn't on the poker run it was coming back from the Shootout... Just the normal washing machine where people run over their abilities...
Thanks to all for the correction. Never want to add where not needed. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBB725
Staggered???

I just take off with the big boys, or maybe before
Cheater
Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Umm,
Lake Cumberland.......Skater, Donzi
SOTW.........Outerlimits
Texoma.......Nortech, Eliminator
1000 Islands.....Mystic
Desert Storm.....DCB, Cigarette
Big Cat PR.......Skater Caused many others taken out...lucky
Not exactly a DCB eliminator show....
Added Big Cat PR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.