Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater? >

Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater?

Notices

Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Impossible! Think about how they work. Surge brake trailers work by PUSHING against the tow vehicle. You can't stop faster by pushing it. You stop faster by PULLING it backwards, as you could with electric or EOH brakes. If your surge brake trailer is pulling on the hitch, the brakes aren't engaging. 101
Thanks I was well aware of how surge brakes work, but you are not quite correct. As you decelerate, you have to look at the truck and trailer as one unit, not separate. As you slow down to a stop, there is a constant deceleration and as long as there is deceleration, the trailer brakes will work. Mind you this is only a 27' boat, not really relevant for a 40 Skater as EOH are superior. I'm just saying surge brakes do work...trust me I've driven it.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Oh now surge brakes don`t work and you can`t pull a less than 15K load with a Diesel 3500 truck.. Oh man you gotta love the internet!
You`ll be fine. If it`s a 3.73 rear end it`ll be a bit of a dog stop light to stop light but no problems passing on highway.. more than likely its a 4.10 rear end and that will pull just great.
I prefer a DP tuner, and a fan assisted trans cooler myself for towing bigger loads with a 7.3l
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance won't cover if the truck is overloaded , that is one on a long list of no no's .