Notices

Gale Banks / Ford PSD

Old 07-29-2002, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gale Banks / Ford PSD

Anybody using the Gale Banks exhaust brake on the Ford Powerstroke or other diesels? It is called the Banks Brake. I know that there are other companies that also build great exhaust brakes, but I would prefer to stick with GB as I have not had any problems with their products over the years. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw your post and noone stepped up to help so I will .I honestly haven't installed one . I use the western diesel turbo brake .It's just wiring .no cutting /welding exhaust and no exhaust leaks ! And it's cheaper too . I do sell banks ,BD, ATS, Super chips and dioblo too . And more to come . If you want ,e-mail me and I'll give you a price on what you want . And I'll talk to my tech that has done the banks brake and see what he says about the install .

JOE [email protected]
Old 07-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any experience with the Banks unit, just second hand knowledge from others that have installed them, and they have been happy with them. We are more familiar with the US Gear brake and it has been a very trouble free unit. My 02 is to stay away from the "waste gate" actuated ones (ie. the electrical ones Boot is talking about, no foul intended Boot, just our experience). They are not as efficient as the true exhaust brake and some dealers are scoffing at warranty issues when these are installed. Boot, are you getting negative feedback on chip installations pertaining to warranty issues yet. The dealers are really CRACKING down on vehicles that are equipped with chips. Trans failures and such are being black flagged left and right because of chip installations. The dealers are being required to submit all performance enhancements done to vehicles and consequently, when a vehicle has a failure, inspections are being done at the factories. In turn, the corporate office is taking it out of the hands of the individual dealer and requiring them to stay "honest" about warranty issues. They are also doing many field inspections, which is tying the hands of many service advisors. Just a heads up on the current issues that are happening here. The MM act that so many throw up to the dealers is being thrown right back at them. The chip is, in the factories reasoning, the reason the transmissions are failing, therefore voiding factory warranties. This is way off the original topic, sorry, but I was interested if Boot has had any feedback. Thanks, Sam
Old 07-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Sam , No I'm not having any problems with warrenties . The Ohio Ford dealer that sells Centurion's put Western diesel stuff on everything and they are a dealer .They have no problem with warentee issues . Downs ford in NJ is the NJ distribution center for super chips they have no problem with it . 2 dealers in south jersey install chips on all the new trucks on the lot .The problem I have with them is they tell the customer it is a "FORD" chip ! We know thats Bull**** ! The problem is the dealers from what I see .The local one hear says it's impossible to get access to the computer codes to do it and it will blow up if you do! Well thats Bull too ! Some just like to give a hard time on everything . Others could care less . This local dealer gave me a hard time for a brand new trucks window motor not working. They said it was because I pulled a trailer !!!! WTF!!!
I figure , either take the chip out before sending it back to be safe or just call ahead and ask what they think .If it's a problem take it else where . Maybe call the chip maker and ask which dealer sells there chips and take it there ! You should remove chips anyway ,because it will give bad redings to there scan tool and may overlook an actual problem you want fixed .

HAPPY CHIPPING ! JOE
Old 07-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, this "new" obstacle is just recently being enacted. We have installed literally hundreds of chips and really never had a problem. We always tell the customer to remove the chip and we have had very few problems when initiating warranty work. Obviously if a person has an alternator problem or like you said a window problem it is of no consequence. Problem is not chip related, case closed. Where it is getting controversial is, say you have a trans failure, they, the dealers are being requested to relay any performance enhancements to the factory and also run codes and inspect PCM for wax removal (required for chip install) and if these mods have been done they are declining warranty work. These procedures are a requirement and regional Service Advisors are making sure the regiment is followed. The reason for warranty decline is the enhancement (ie. chip install) has directly caused failure of trans through increasing HP and changing the shift dynamics of said trans. You and I know this is "bunk", but it is something I am keeping all my customers informed of. Very good case in point, a very good freind was denied warranty on a 02 Excursion. It had a 75 HP chip and that was it. 10000 miles and the trans failed. He removed the chip but it was still obvious it had been chipped. He owns a body shop and does over a million$ in parts each year with this dealership. Think he was mad!!!! They did get it resolved, but he still had to pay $400.00 for resulting work. I talked with 3 service managers that are personal freinds and they say it is getting very hard to warranty anything that has been "modified". At one point I would tell people the chip would not cause warranty issues. My "new" stand is that any mod can cause warranty issues and a great big disclaimer is attached to all invoices. This may be isolated to the area we are in but I have contacted said freinds (service managers) that are out of this area and they all concur, FOMOCO is cracking down. Good luck, Sam.