Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What caused fuel to get in my oil?  Could this have caused the engine to blow up? >

What caused fuel to get in my oil? Could this have caused the engine to blow up?

Notices

What caused fuel to get in my oil? Could this have caused the engine to blow up?

Old 07-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you are running the stock EFI. What did you do to get the extra fuel to run the super charger? Is the pressure boosted? Is it high enough to leak past the injectors? It takes a LOT of gas in the oil to blow an engine. The chances of a bad injector or a fuel leak happening to both engines is slim. Look to the mods to your fuel system and you will find the culprit. Good luck, sorry to hear of the repeated problems.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Uncle Toys,

I'm sure you may have seen me mention this guy's name a few times in the past----Bruce Wolff (S.W. Michigan) has solved SEVERAL problems with the Whipple charger set-ups. Bruce is an excellent trouble shooter when it comes to jetting/tuning, timing, EFI, etc. He just fixed a dude's boat with a pair of big block whipples in it----it was WAY too rich! The guy had apparently taken it to 2 other shops with no positive results before he took it to Wolff. Bruce fixed the problem and the guy is very happy from what I understand. I don't know who the guy is who took his boat to Bruce, but apparently he got Wolff's number from this forum when I posted it in a thread for someone else who was having problems. Wolff used to work for John Lingenfelter years ago and did a lot of trouble shooting/track tuning for John's cars at the strip. He's very knowledgable and perhaps he might be able to tweek you in over the phone without looking at it being that you live in CA. Anyway, might be worth giving him a call. Wolff's shop # is: 616-422-1090 8-5 Eastern time

Hope everything works out for the best with you and your boat
Old 07-30-2002, 12:42 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'm not real familiar with this small block installation...most carburated small blocks have a block mounted fuel pump. Do yours have a mechanical pump? Often what happens is that the diaphram ruptures causing fuel to leak into the crankcase. On marine engines there is (supposed) to be a hose leading from the pump up to the carb to prevent this from happening.

If you have a electric pump (which I assume you do) what was the pressure set to? If the pressure was set really high, I suppose it could overwhelm the injector and cause the motor to run really fat. But for that to happen you'd know it because the motor would run like chit.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Uncle Toys,
Sorry to hear about your missfortune with the new motor. Hope everything works out for you. See ya round'
Old 07-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Registered

I am assumming last motor you had bottom end problem. Gas in Oil does not do any bearings any good.

If I remember Cat & Mice blew the bottom out of a small block alos. Does he have the same engine.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Morning Joe,

Looks like you have a lot of good ideas here and a few places to start. I wish you the best of luck and hope all is resolved soon.

Shane
Old 07-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Uncle Toys

Cig1 – I’m starting to think you are on the right track. Talked to a guy today who thought the 6.2 Merc engine is not suitable for blowers. Something about the rings not holding up to the pressure. I need to track down someone at Merc to talk to about this.

Audiofn – Your right, the blocks couldn’t be more stock.

Turbojack – Yes, your right, we smelled the gas on the dip stick. I never would have thought about trying that, but the mechanic that was on board is a very senior moter & blower guy and he picked up on it immediately. When Semper pulled the plugs they didn’t look bad, but then, at that time we were still looking for evidence of top-end damage. We were no where near starting to think about fuel in the oil. As far as the rings, isnt it beyond probability that two new Merc engines came out with bad rings? I have a bunch of pictures from Fresno I will dig out. “Do you ever check the oil.” Yes, I am fairly anal-retentive. With total time of 71 hours, I have had the oil changed three times. The good thing for my case was that when I filled up the gas four days before the blow-up, I had a member of this board on the boat with his wife and kids. While I was filling the tanks, he did the oil check. Cat & Mice started with the same 6.2’s, but they were modified a lot, plus he was running a lot more boast.

BruceK & Cord – They are EFI.

GO4BROKE – Your way past my technical ability. Maybe Dustin can address your questions.

KAAMA – Great idea, I’ll give him a call. Thanks!

What do you guys think (in general) the chances are of a stock small-block Merc, with low hours, blowing up because of fuel in the oil?

Old 07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Uncle Toys: If the rings went out on you I would guess VERY GOOD!!!! The good news is that if you do a rebuild and use better pistons and rings (maybe sevear duty valves) You should be good to go. There are plenty of reliable blower motors running out there. You just have to find the right combination.

Jon
Old 07-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Uncle Toys,

FYI, I think Wolff has a good friend that works for Merc Hi-Perf Division who knows all about the computer systems that come with Merc's engine packages, etc.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Registered

UT- Heading out to lake tommorrow to meet up with a guy that one of the trouble shooters for wakasha (spelling) engines. They build industrial big motors. I will ask his take on this. He is the one that taught me about detonation. Mater of fact the company he works for is the one that make the motor to test octane of gas. While I am on the subject of detonation it can make a motor's bottom let loose. I never had that problem. I just was (hopefully) hell on pistons, cyld. walls, heads & valves

What do you guys think (in general) the chances are of a stock small-block Merc, with low hours, blowing up because of fuel in the oil?
Can it happen? Yes. I am curious if the pistons show any signs of detonation at all. Between the two (detonation & gas in the oil) then maybe.

Quick Reply: What caused fuel to get in my oil? Could this have caused the engine to blow up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.