Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What caused fuel to get in my oil?  Could this have caused the engine to blow up? >

What caused fuel to get in my oil? Could this have caused the engine to blow up?

Notices

What caused fuel to get in my oil? Could this have caused the engine to blow up?

Old 07-31-2002, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UT
If you had bad rings or detonation holes in the pistons you would have oil burning out the tailpipes and/or enough blow-by that the bilge would be full of oil. There is a source of raw fuel being dumped into the crankcase. I would look for a stuck injector that is just pooring fuel into the cylinders and washing past the rings. Been there done that with blown power valves in carbs on aspirated motor. Good luck with the fix.
Robert
Old 07-31-2002, 02:20 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too much fuel pressure is usually the case especially in carbed motors. I usually run 9 lbs in carbed motors and am sometimes criticised for that much. EFI engines hold alot more fuel pressure than that if injected take Tonto's advice and look for the simple stuff overlooked 90% of the time. Good luck keep us informed.

Sean
Old 07-31-2002, 02:30 PM
Uncle Toys

Default Welcome from Temecula'a public library

When we left for the lake five weeks ago, I stoped our home dial up becuase we had signed up for a new high-speed service. You guessed it, not up and running yet. Typical

Audiofn - Why should I modify the engine? This is suppose to be a "simple," "bolt-on," "reliable," application!

KAAMA - Thanks, i'll page Wolff.

TurboJack - "Signs of detonation?" No, don't think so. They kept saying I ran it out of oil - something about the bearings being "blued." Never would have figured out the fuel in the oil if I didn't have twin engines.

Tonto - The confession here is that I don't know how much soot on the transome is normal vs. trouble

I honestly wasn't trying to be exotic. This was suppose to be in the mid range - right out of the sales literature. Reliability was the word I stressed in every single conversation. You all know I am not a moter/wrench head.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:42 PM
Registered

UT
Did you change the ECM when you put the super charger on? It sounds to me, and I am not a EFI expert by ANY stretch of your imagination, that you have a injector that is hung open. Either from a bad ECM or trash in the injector itself. Check the fuel/water separator to see if there is anything in it, cut it open if you have to. It wouldn't take much to make an injector stick open. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Any more ideas Stinson?
Robert
Old 07-31-2002, 07:59 PM
Uncle Toys

Tonto - Part of the normal install is the reprogramming of the ECM's. I'll keep my eyes on the old engine and see if fuel developes in the oil. So far, after ~5 hours, nothing yet.

Old 08-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

Toy's, When Blondie and I were on your Daytona the weekend befor it blew I didn't notice any extra soot on the transom. I would have to agree with you this was a bolt on application with no internal mod's.

Douggie Fresh
Old 08-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered

If the transom has any black on it, it may be too much.
Here is what I got from talking to an engine expert that trouble shoots million$ engines.

Detonation was not your problem

Bad rings not your problem. If you are having too much blow by the oil viscosity goes up not down.

Since we think the plugs were not showing rich & the transom not black the way the gas is getting in oil is after shutdown. Leaking injector/s. It is not uncommon for 2 motors to have same problem if they were build about the same time. When there is a bad batch a number of motors will have same problem. It does not take much gas to dilute the oil. Try running engine, pulling kill switch & see how long before fuel pressure goes down.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Uncle toys, I still am not sure of what caused your problem. BUT if you pulled off the superchargers and are running fine now, you do not have bad rings or injectors or you would still be having problems. I'm still leaning to whatever was done to the fuel system to supply more fuel. Perhaps pressure was boosted beyond what the injectors can handle. Stock pressure is around 45psi I think, which is already a lot. Keep us posted.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:42 PM
Registered

G4B- If I remember correctly the problem was noticed at about 20 hrs on the oil. So 15 more hrs to go.