Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers? >

Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers?

Notices

Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers?

Old 07-29-2002, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers?

Anyone with any firsthand knowlege on just how "stock" the different F1 and F2 boats or factory cats are? Heck Are the raceboats anything close to a stocker the average guy buys off the showroom floor?
Old 07-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1999 Phantom is a stock boat and it ran in the F-2 class
Old 07-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gary864
My 1999 Phantom is a stock boat and it ran in the F-2 class
Gary, You've had to have been tearing up Lake St Clair by now, Hows that new toy running?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Lightbulb

One of the fastest F2 boats in APBA was the Ausome Boat raced by the Anderson Family(For Sale Now). It was a stock 35 Formula but still had the cabin removed. Most of boats running up front are " trick".

Brian H.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Registered

Playn: 88 on the liquid fill speedo at 4800 rpm's. New props due in this week. I have to get my GPS back from my brother he has had it for 2 years now hope he hasn't lost it.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

just how "trick"?? are these things the average guy could do??
Obviously no cabin and a lightwieght hatch but I hear of a "race" layup which to me means lightwieght but a Warlock guy in another thread says they add material in their Factory boats for strength. Then you hear the Fac 1 Baja was laid up by Skater!! what gives?? and the Fountains??
Old 07-29-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Lightbulb

Most race boats have extra bulkheads and maybe a different lamination schedule - definitely blueprinted bottoms. Strength is important as in a correct weight and a balanced boat. The Herbott F2 Boat - Scarab is pretty much stock I think. All Factory Classes have to meet a mininum weight requirement, so light is not always good when you could have a weaker boat with sand bags flying around. Just trying to help here. BH
Old 07-29-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

all f1 and f2 boats are availble to the public 100%. yes in most cases there is a special layup and extra bulkheads added because of the torture we put them through. but they are not one off. anybody can get one. the question is do you want cheap fast with no cabin. and yes all the tricks we use you can do to your boats to. the problem is most of you don't realize how much time and money goes into making these boats do what they do. and when i tell people to do certian things to there boat they usally don't because of time, or money or think it's just silly. for the few who have listened to some of us they know the results. ask thunderdan, got him a little over 6 mph with just a gear case change. it would be nice to do reasearch on one boat and then build a whole bunch but the problem is even if it is the same make not one boat is the same. you can get them pretty close but each one is diffrent and you have to dial each one in individually.

so yes if you are purchasing a boat ask the company about the poker run modles wich are basically the f1 and f2 boats we run today.the great thing about an f2 boat is you get a good boat running reasonable speeds with easy to maintain motors and bravo drives. alot easier on the budget when you break somthing.

Treadwell
Old 07-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is much stock about the F1 or F2 boats. First of all I do not race so I do not know first hand what is actually happening today. I do know I had some lenghty discussions with Scott Porter in 1998 about a 353 for the F2 class. It was not the same boat you would buy from the dealer for pleasure use. It would have had the cabin removed and crated for installation at a later date and gone through a "special" lamination schedule that was used to reduce weight. That was in 1998.

Today I think they are pushing the envelope even further with layups, drive selection, cockpits, ballast, stand off boxes, props, X-dimensions, etc.

I still think this is the way to go. Engines and drives is where the big bucks are and keeping with the "stock" sealed motors keeps the cost lower so more people can participate. F1 and F2 are not a poor mans sport. But look at the number of boats out there competing week in and week out. The F2 class is the place to be.

The outlaw classes on the other hand is where the real, race what you brought, thing happens. But ot many people want to go beat the crap out of their only boat. Go figure

I may not be right about any of this, but it is my perception.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:56 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightbulb

Today I think they are pushing the envelope even further with layups, drive selection, cockpits, ballast, stand off boxes, props, X-dimensions, etc.
In the factory V-Bottom classes (APBA RULES) Drives must be Bravos. Cockpits must have the steering wheel within 12 inches of factory location. NO BALLAST TANKS. Step Bottom boat CANNOT run stand off boxes. Props must be readily available. X dimensions are watched closley and you aren't allowed to run a high X. Staggered engines are NOT permitted. Herbotts boat is VERY stock and VERY FAST 33 SCARAB but it is also one of the smallesest boats in the class. Todd Welling's OLD 38 Fountain is still one of the best running boats in the class and STILL for sale at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.