New top speed run today!!!! >

New top speed run today!!!!

Notices

New top speed run today!!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New top speed run today!!!!

Finally found a spot on the trim where the boat just settled down and went straight and very controllable so after dinner two friends and I left the girls at the dock and went for a quick run to try the boat on its first top speed run since I've owned it and new motor. Well, I only had my 30p bravo on so when I got 5800-5900 rpms I pulled the throttle back a little so it didn't over rev. I didn't want to go past 5800, but it had the power to. Either way the boat felt awesome!!!!! On the hand held GPS it was reading 97-98 mph. The slip seems low, but I'm not sure. Maybe the GPS is off a bit? I'm going to buy one to mount in the boat now that I have it going and get rid of the hand held unit. Either way it was crazy fast. Boat needs a different prop fr sure so it doesn't over rev. Plus the 30p bravo 1 has horrible slip at mid range. I'm using the slip calc on mercs site and its showing I'm in the 35% at 35-3800 rpms. Doesn't bite at all in mid range. Either way it was nice to finally figure the trim out to make a full out run with out having chine walk. I found it by accident. I normally run at neutral drive hieght, but at neutral it is a good bit of work to keep the boat on the pad. Well I trimmed up a little further and all the sudden the boat rised up on the pad and just leveled out. I let go of the wheel at 70 and it was dead straight!! Once I found that spot I tried it on a high speed run and the boat was on a straight solid charge!!!! Conditions were no wind, flat glass calm right before dark and not a boat in site.

Either way, it was a good time and look forward to a bigger prop.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Wow that's awesome congrats!

I have been in another members boat like yours at 88mph and WOW is that SCARY fast feeling.

Enjoy and be safe!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

It has been a scary experience, but I have gotten better at controlling the boat, but still had a bit of trouble. Once I trimmed up a bit more its like the nose came up the boat lifted and it was on rails. Not sure what changes at that trim spot (that's now marked on my gauge...lol) but the boats attitude totally changes and it acts as though I wasn't needed. It went from struggling to keep it on the pad to planted on the pad rock solid. Very awesome feeling. It's been 3-4 hours and I'm still on cloud 9. What an awesome experience. I won't do it all the time, but if the conditions allow I would do it again. I think I may need to out the scoop on as I felt I was starting the motor of air. Cruising at 4000 and hammer the throttle for a quick second and I would see 6-6.5 psi of boost. On that high speed run it dropped down to 5 psi after holding the throttle for a few seconds. The filters are all the way in the hatch and the vynol sits on top the spark arresters so there not a ton of air moment around them. The ducts on the boat are good to a certain level, but I don't know if one set is enough for 800+ hp. May look into that.

Here's a quick picture of the rooster tail at 65 in my "special trim spot". In the 90's it was sick, but no one had the nerve to take a pic as we were all holding on. May have the gopro on the back deck for tomorrow to catch the awesomeness going on behind the boat.

Here's a pic of where the carbs are having to breath from. A bit small and restricted.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Registered

Wrong rooster tail pic. Can't find the right one, but looks the same as that. At 90+ its insane.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Sweet!! That's fast!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really cool!! Be safe & have fun. Looking forward to a video. Is that a stock length lower unit on the boat? Randy
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick! I sure hope you have hydraulic steering. Great job!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Registered

Yes it's a stock length lower unit on the boat. The factory x dim on my boat is 4". Steve said I wouldn't really gain from a short unit so I'm taking his word on it. He said in race trim perhaps, but over all driving I would have blowouts etc and this is just a weekend boat for us not a race boat.

The boat has full hyd steer from the helm back. I added it when I built the boat and Motor over the winter. It definitely needs the steering when going fast. The stock cable had a ton of slack.

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the results so far. Should go faster once I figure out what prop I need.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

I have the same boat as you and am looking for hydraulic steering options. What do you have on yours? I'm kind of balling on a budget but want it as I have the motor to go 100 but don't have the steering to even feel safe at 80 in light chop. I kind of put the cart before the horse by doing the motor before I did steering and tabs. I'm running a 548 with 692 hp and have no problems hitting 80 and having room to go, but it's scary as ****! Congrats on your run!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's fast! Nice work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.