Notices

I need a loud New Yorker

Old 07-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need a loud New Yorker

Yo how u doin!
I know on certain lakes in NY have noise limits like lk george ,
is there a state limit?a fed limit? the reason, I met a guy with a 22 donzi with a 502 who keeps getting hassled by the water cops, for having straight pipes??? what are straight pipes? he got thru hull that's it, the lake is half ny half nj this guy got a nj reg. but docks in new york and the Ny cops are always bustin his chops told him to get off the lake!!!! No noise ordinace I know of in the village? what's the deal ? my donzi ain't as loud but if their doing it to him then I'm next.

let me say this so no one gets the wrong idea, I have the utmost respect for police and firemen, but these are college kids working partime during the summer and only working on their tan, who run at 20mph in a no wake zone to tell someone to slow down???
if they ain't got a db meter they can go scratch

Mattyboy
Old 08-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

There is a statewide noise ordinance in New York which I c an't find right now but it limits boats to 90 db at idle tested at one meter behind boat (other specifics excape me at the moment) or 75db on a drive by test. Very specific testing requirements and there are few qualified enforcement personnel. Lake George has personnel with testing equipment and enforcement can be, shall we say, enthusiastic though most often it is as a result of someones complaint. The regulation does require some sort of sound reducing device but that does not automatically mean you are illegal. If you do not have dry headers then the water injected into the exhaust stream may constitute adequate muffling as long as you can pass the sound level test. Others can add more especially testing procedures. You might try a search on the board, this has been discussed before. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Mattyboy,

Greenwood Lake must hire their "rent-a-cops" from the same gene pool as Lake George! I know several people up here who have felt that they were being harrassed by these "kids" with badges and ticket books. I do not know what teh specific laws are but what I have done when being tested on my buddies boat is tell them that I want that old wooody next to us checked as well. It is amazing what their response is. I then have told them that if they don't it is discriminatory and I want their badge number and name. They usually balk but one said that the old woody was below was below the legal limit. I asked how he knew? Did he just test him or was his ear a certified decibal meter? Funny how he left us alone after that.

It would certainly be interesting to find out what the specific law is and then have your boat tested and KEEP the read out for future "reference".

Good luck.

Shane
Old 08-01-2002, 09:59 AM
Registered

NY State law has boat requirement of 90 db max @dock and 75 db max @shore. There is also a provision for no cut-outs on mufflers. A 502 with straight thru-hull will probably exceed this, especially if no background noise. However, without an actual noise meter, this should be pretty easy to contest, if given a ticket strictly by ear. A 22 Donzi typ. does not have a swim platform to deflect noise down, so it'll attract attention. Although it's going to cost a few nickels, probably best to add something to reduce the bark and avoid the hassle. I have Shotgun Silencers on my 502's, with no effect on performance.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Shane, I was tested once on Lake George. LGP was at the dock on Narrow Island and I noticed the meter in his boat. When I asked about it he offered to do a "courtesy test". It seems if you request a test he can't ticket you at that time. Of course if you fail and he finds you on the lake later . . . Anyway, I passed the test and he wrote it up. Sure wish I had saved that report. He did tell me that my silent choice was illegal which is subject to debate as it is not counter to the spirit of the law if I can pass in either position. Would depend on the judge I imagine. All in all a surprisingly civil and pleasant experience with local law enforcement.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:34 AM
Registered

Larry,

Good to hear you had a positive experience. I guess you got lucky and found a nice LGPC Officer. Everyone I know that has dealt with them has had a hard time.

When are you guys coming back up again? Next weekend are the vintage boat races in the vintage boat races in the village.

shane
Old 08-01-2002, 11:38 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

The term "loud New Yorker" is redundant.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 08-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Phknlwyr, good point though I think the argument could be made that it only applies to residents of NYC not the state as a whole.

Shane, next weekend as in August 10? We should be up then. This weekend we have other plans. Sorry we missed you Saturday. We arrived late and ran into some friends right away. Ended up spending the afternoon with them and never had a chance to stop in.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Registered

so is phnklwyr!!!
and us NEW YORKERS ARE LOUD AND PROUD, and perhaps my upstate brothers are not as loud and probably are better phrased in the english medium, then us NYC boys but they are still proud!!!!

thanks for the info guys I'll keep you posted!

Mattyboy