Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anchoring a powerboat with limited bow access? >

Anchoring a powerboat with limited bow access?

Notices

Anchoring a powerboat with limited bow access?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anchoring a powerboat with limited bow access?

I just bought a 1986 Formula and unlike my previous Formula, this one has no anchor locker and tough access to the bow cleat, mainly threw the deck hatch. No way in a crowded area, or even an emergency I can see a way to anchor safely from the bow. Especially when alone. Any advice? My thought is to get a stern anchor out initially and then climb up on the bow with a bow anchor threw the hatch. Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Registered

If you're looking for an anchor type suggestion I would recommend the "box anchor". It is very easy to use and store, it takes up very little space.

http://www.slideanchor.com/hlm_shopi...1-c5e749bb8688

In an emergency, sure set it off the stern, then once set just spin boat and tie it off to the bow.

From a fellow Jersey'n.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Try anchoring off the bow of a fountain with the old style windshield
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never set an anchor from the stern ! Simply drop anchor overboard from the cockpit {Holding on to bitter end } Walk up to bow with the end and secure
Allow wind/waves/current to drift away.
The following 3 users liked this post by birdog:
ICDEDPPL (07-01-2020), rak rua (07-03-2020), TomZ (07-01-2020)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
Never set an anchor from the stern ! Simply drop anchor overboard from the cockpit {Holding on to bitter end } Walk up to bow with the end and secure
Allow wind/waves/current to drift away.
yep, theres a technique associated with every boat and you may just hafta develop what works best for you. When i come into a raft off with the Donzi (horrible bow access and if you make it out there your probably going to go swimming lol) i will set up a few hundred feet out from where i wanna be and if I'm by myself i have a little rig i made from some of my caribiners a slings from climbing that allows me to hand the anchor off the bow with it tied to my mid cleat by the helm. I can back slowly into the line up and dump the anchor right where i want it on the fly. Give it a quick tug to set it then after i am rafted in i can pull my rig off the bow cleat and set that line. Its a bit of a ballet sometimes but like i said you develop a method.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I agree with combined approach pointed about above. The Box Anchor sets nearly every time by just dropping it over the the side and letting the weight of the boat in the current/breeze set it. Once you drop it over the side, walk up to the bow and tie it off. www.slide-anchor.com

You can set an anchor off the stern or side of the boat BRIEFLY; and in CALM WATER only; until you get up to the bow to tie it off properly. If needed, tie the anchor off to the stern of the boat BRIEFLY, but leave enough line on the end of the anchor line to walk up to the bow and tie the bitter end off; then go back and undo it from the stern. You can have too short of a rhode, but the only time you will have too long of a rhode is if you can swing into something else. Too long of a rhode is easy to adjust.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

I tie off the stern of the Fountain all the time. The bow height and shape tend to make the boat wander like crazy if tied off the bow. If all the boat are facing north then mine is either facing west or east unless I tie off the rear. (Granted this is in a no wake zone)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Registered

Thanks. I like the idea of dropping my anchor( a Fortress at this time) off the side and mid cleat until I can secure the bow. Thanks for the ideas. Today at Tices Shoal I got off easy, tying up to my already anchored friend!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 255 is as bad as it gets...but I made a slight mod that works for me.

I have a custom aluminum ladder on the port side just forward of the passenger seat. On the port side of the boat about 3' behind the windshield I have a stainless steel step pad fastened to the topsides just above the rub rail and below the side glass. I am able to step over the side glass onto the step...turn and step to the bow and walk to the bow cleat and fasten the anchor line. I have a knot at that point along the anchor line that I attach a "retrieval" line. I keep the retrieval line attached to the spring cleat on the starboard side so I can reach it and handle it from the helm.

I've gotten pretty good with the set up and can drop and set my anchor in a matter of a few minutes. using the retrieval line I can ease up on the anchor and pull it up quickly. If I know I am going directly to an anchorage, a short distance, I will set the lines before I leave the dock and keep the anchor handy in the cabin and toss it thru the forward hatch once I reach anchorage.

Admittedly, anchoring a sport boat with limited bow access is a challenge. I anchor our regularly here in South Florida so I developed a system that works for me. I sure do miss my 40' EC Sea Ray with the remote controlled windless...that was awesome.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I put a towel on bow. Set anchor and rhode up there. Step on passenger bolster then over side window and I'm on the bow. Takes very little time. Drop anchor tie off. My anchor line stays coiled up on an extension cord reel. Makes for easy handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.