Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for the house on the water in cape coral i keep hearing about >

Looking for the house on the water in cape coral i keep hearing about

Notices

Looking for the house on the water in cape coral i keep hearing about

Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you recommend this area for newlyweds in their late 20s/early 30s who are looking to start a family in a few years?

We're both physical therapists and work in skilled nursing and home health. We currently live in Thomasville, GA but are bored to tears of the area and both love Florida, the beach, and boating.

I think we'd patiently wait for a nice foreclosure on a canal that we could get into for ~$200k. We've never been to Cape Coral, but this thread has us thinking.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would check out other areas first ,,,,,i been here 2 years and selling my house and getting out,,,,1 hr to get to ft myers beach if theres no traffic,, 25 speed limit on the river,, miserable mile idle thru to get to gulf ,,the ramps suck ,,sw area u got to go thru a lock to get out and its a long idle ,,plenty of places to eat,,weather is nice ,,, guess i am spoiled with long island boating ,,,,
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
Would you recommend this area for newlyweds in their late 20s/early 30s who are looking to start a family in a few years?

We're both physical therapists and work in skilled nursing and home health. We currently live in Thomasville, GA but are bored to tears of the area and both love Florida, the beach, and boating.

I think we'd patiently wait for a nice foreclosure on a canal that we could get into for ~$200k. We've never been to Cape Coral, but this thread has us thinking.

Thoughts?
I'm 33 married and love it. It never takes me an hour to get to ft Myers beach in a car. Maybe if you go at peak traffic time but I don't do that. Yup 25 mile an hour in the river. I usually run 35. Boat doesn't like going slower. Nice cruise anyway. The miserable is miserable but I don't mind it. There's plenty of times I go out and don't leave the river. Sw cape does have the lock and that's not for me. I have no bridges or locks between me and river. Healthcare you will find jobs. It's all up to you. Definitely visit before moving.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I don't know where others live, but it never takes us more than thirty minutes to get to Ft. Myers Beach, (unless you go at 12:00pm on a Saturday) what would you expect it's a very popular vacation spot, when we want to go, we either go a little bit earlier or later, but not at 12:00pm. we don't have to mess with the 25mph, don't have any locks or bridges, we only have one Manatee Zone (idle about a mile) and we're out and screamin' in the Gulf................everything is perfect down here, the one thing I can't give you any help on is the schools, don't know if you have kids, mine are grown, so it really doesn't matter, but that's something I would check out if I had kids.

But by all means you should come visit a few times before you just pick up and move, but I bet you'll love it.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Look around the Everest Parkway/ Horton Park Area of Cape Coral. My wife and I (Both in our early 30's) bought our house last year for the low 200's and also have friends that purchased one in the area for mid 200's. There are still a few available in that price range. Cape Coral is not for everyone. If you are used to a big city this town will be boring for you. But, if boating and living on the water is what you are looking for then it will be a great place. We really like it here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 07-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightspeed
i would check out other areas first ,,,,,i been here 2 years and selling my house and getting out,,,,1 hr to get to ft myers beach if theres no traffic,, 25 speed limit on the river,, miserable mile idle thru to get to gulf ,,the ramps suck ,,sw area u got to go thru a lock to get out and its a long idle ,,plenty of places to eat,,weather is nice ,,, guess i am spoiled with long island boating ,,,,
LI must have some pretty good ramps.....All the public ramps I see and use in the Cape are very nice. Well lite, plenty of parking, usually no lines. Everyone has their own idea what nice is I guess.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lightspeed
,,, guess i am spoiled with long island boating ,,,,
LMAO!!! Thanks for the chuckle

We just bought a waterfront down in Cape Coral this past April. Less than a mile to open water in SW... No lock to go through. Three bedrooms, 2.5 baths 1/4 acre lot.... $252K

The boating is fantastic, the fishing and crabbing is great and I'm looking forward to being there full-time!

Don,
I got this shot of you when you passed us on Saturday. I was in Alec's boat. PM me your email if you want the large file and I'll forward it.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Looking for the house on the water in cape coral i keep hearing about-donamandaresize.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is making me jealous. Would love to live down there and get to boat in some pretty water. Unfortunetely, no petrochemical industry down there. Am hoping to get over to the Pensacola area in the next few years. Then maybe south Fl further down the road.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

We're likely taking off the week of October 7-11 and the week of November 4-8 because we need to use of some PTO and to check out Cape Coral. I'd love to meet up with some locals and we'd be more than willing to pay for gas, snacks, and beer if anyone wanted to go boating!

I promise we're pretty normal.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Craig-

My email is [email protected]

I changed the setup a little in the boat and was out for a boat ride with my wife. We ran to Boca Grande Pass and back. We stopped at Marker 92 on the way back in. We figured your group would have ended up there. Hopefully we will see you all next time.

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.