$2M to build and 160 MPH!!!

Notices

$2M to build and 160 MPH!!!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2M to build and 160 MPH!!!

This thing wouldn't run 160 if you dumped it out the back of a C130! And in 1990 there wasn't such a thing as a $2M offshore boat... What did a new high HP Apache/Cig all decked out cost in 1990?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/41-CU...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

If somebody paid 2 million for that thing somebody got ripped off !!!!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have liked to have been the builder.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Better off selling for aluminum scrap!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

there is another thread on here with that boat I believe, but can't remember what it is called

and I am sure it did not take 2 million to build that, but I can see how someone was charged 2 million to get it built.....if it was designed by a reputable naval architect that alone will cost money, then you tack on the "profit" for that to the builder, you have to build a one off jig to build the hull, one off mold for the deck and on and on for all the other crap.....add in two turbine engines which would have been much more rare in a boat back then and the fact that whoever installed them either had to figure it all out and marineize those turbines or they had to pay huge money to one of the few that was already doing it for someone like Miss Budweiser to come take a side job and do it for them and the list of crap you paid others to learn/figure out/scrap before that boat is in the water adds up pretty fast

most likely a horrible waste of money in the end, looks like crap, obviously was kept up like crap (probably because it performed like crap and cost an arm and a leg for that), but hey if you have the cash and you want something one of a kind that no one else will ever want to duplicate....you have to pay to play
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasVines
there is another thread on here with that boat I believe, but can't remember what it is called

and I am sure it did not take 2 million to build that, but I can see how someone was charged 2 million to get it built.....if it was designed by a reputable naval architect that alone will cost money, then you tack on the "profit" for that to the builder, you have to build a one off jig to build the hull, one off mold for the deck and on and on for all the other crap.....add in two turbine engines which would have been much more rare in a boat back then and the fact that whoever installed them either had to figure it all out and marineize those turbines or they had to pay huge money to one of the few that was already doing it for someone like Miss Budweiser to come take a side job and do it for them and the list of crap you paid others to learn/figure out/scrap before that boat is in the water adds up pretty fast

most likely a horrible waste of money in the end, looks like crap, obviously was kept up like crap (probably because it performed like crap and cost an arm and a leg for that), but hey if you have the cash and you want something one of a kind that no one else will ever want to duplicate....you have to pay to play
Agreed
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=gofastlvr;3954753]. What did a new high HP Apache/Cig all decked out cost in 1990?

Just about what they cost now. Apache's were even more
[
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend owns a one off triple 632cu in 14-71 blower/ arneson drive fiberglass boat. About 52 feet with platform, and has a stepped hull bottom which was unheard of in 1991 when it was completed. Shower, hot water, built in phones, wet bar, microwave, fridge, genny, just everything. 20k lbs and does 108mph!

When he asked the original owner what it cost to build "I stopped counting at 1.3 mil cause it was making me sick" was the reply.

DIY is one thing, but to pay someone to build a boat of this size is going to be very very expensive, even back then. There are no molds for the little stuff, everything is hand laid and built one off. Very time consuming and expensive.

So....on the 2 mil, he is prob not far off.....the 160 mph, I call bs
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered

This is right in my neck of the woods and right next to an HVAC Supplier I used to use (you can see a couple work trucks in the parking lot in the background of one of the pics of the place) and the boat yard is full of big a** boats all the time. I never see much work being done to them but he has a lot full of them.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Maybe it hit 160 MPH on the 1990 GPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.