Towing a boat behind a houseboat

Notices

Towing a boat behind a houseboat

Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Nort, check on the tow speed for the wave runners. On mine there was a max tow speed or procedures to do if towing faster than idle.

Sounds fun, have a good time. Sounds as you bought a second wave runner to fill your trailer!!!
Yes - I know my ski has endless cautions about towing and forcing water back up through the exhaust side of the engine.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I towed mine about 25-30 feet behind my houseboat, off of one corner cleat on the stern. Then i put the seadoo off the other cleat on the other side.. When I was parking or beaching the HB I either had pulled it up along side of the HB or dropped the lines and had someone swim to them and bring them back to the HB after it was parked..
Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

We used to tow a 38 Inflatable all over. We used two 30 ft sections of 1 1/2 inch line connected to 75 ft of 3/4 spectre line. Overkill for what I assume you are doing since it will most likely be very calm where you are. When we came into port, we would either pull the tender onto the hip and drive in, or back up to the tender and drop a person on the 38 to wait until docking is done, then come tie up on the hip.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JnT
When you get close to your destination tie the Formula to the side of the houseboat . If I am beaching my houseboat I keep the Apache on the port or stbd quarter.If the stern of the Apache hangs off the houseboat transom a few feet its no big deal. Houseboat will handle more sluggish but that's where you can use the waverunners as bow or stern thrusters if you need them, Ideally in calm water with good fenders.
I would NOT do it this way if your beaching. 2 boats in motion. Bigger boat(houseboat) stops when hits beach. Shorter boat stays in motion causing large strain on both boats lines/cleats. I've seen small boats get a lot of damage when people have done this.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Thanks for the invite d!ck!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finger tighten the drain plugs and tow it with some 20# test line. Make sure the insurane is paid up. And wallah! New to you Cigarette Nort... You can even sue the houseboat rental company for negligence and make out ahead...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

I have never had good luck with those clips, they always open. can make for excitement when they wing by. it is more work but I like tow bridle on your 38, rope down each side to stern cleats tag lines to keep out of water. use shackles not quick clippers. the bridle allows bow to ride up and down, much better tow, towing at hip would be first choice.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM
JnT
Registered

We tend to take things slow and easy when towing , docking ,and maneuvering in tight quarters.. Or maybe it is just the superb construction of the Apache that has kept my boats in pretty good shape. I do see your point though drejustice.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keith2500hd
I have never had good luck with those clips, they always open. can make for excitement when they wing by. it is more work but I like tow bridle on your 38, rope down each side to stern cleats tag lines to keep out of water. use shackles not quick clippers. the bridle allows bow to ride up and down, much better tow, towing at hip would be first choice.

Tie the bridle to the rear of the boat? The surely sounds like trouble. I'm going to be on a lake, and doubt that I'll see any weather like that at all. If so,.....we shouldn't want to be driving the houseboat at that time let alone towing a boat. I decided to order the 3/4" bridle and hardware......I'm sure it's more than sturdy for this application and won't "wing by" anytime soon unless the tie down pulled out of my bow!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How far do you plan on towing your tub?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.