Towing a boat behind a houseboat >

Towing a boat behind a houseboat

Notices

Towing a boat behind a houseboat

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing a boat behind a houseboat

We're doing a houseboat trip shortly and I'm going to tow my 38' Formula behind and was wondering how long of a line. I'm thinking 75' tow line attached to a 20' double loop stern.....or 100'? This tow bridle from Top Knot looks good HERE. I'm also towing two waverunners behind the 38 so I was going to do a 25' foot version behind the Formula to the first wave runner then another 25' tow line between the two waverunners. Does this sound reasonable? Too long.....too short?

My biggest concern is when stopping to land the houseboat and organizing this long train. Maybe stop out a bit from shore......pull the Formula line close and toss off a box anchor.....then land the houseboat, then swim out to the Formula and waverunners?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put the Formula in a "hip tow" a little ways out from where you are landing. Have some friends get on the waverunners and either use them to help position the houseboat and placing anchors. or just stay out of the way til you get the big boat secure.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Thanks JnT. Hip tow? Can you explain?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
JnT
Registered

When you get close to your destination tie the Formula to the side of the houseboat . If I am beaching my houseboat I keep the Apache on the port or stbd quarter.If the stern of the Apache hangs off the houseboat transom a few feet its no big deal. Houseboat will handle more sluggish but that's where you can use the waverunners as bow or stern thrusters if you need them, Ideally in calm water with good fenders.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JnT
When you get close to your destination tie the Formula to the side of the houseboat . If I am beaching my houseboat I keep the Apache on the port or stbd quarter.If the stern of the Apache hangs off the houseboat transom a few feet its no big deal. Houseboat will handle more sluggish but that's where you can use the waverunners as bow or stern thrusters if you need them, Ideally in calm water with good fenders.
Thanks....that's what I thought you meant.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

Default tow

Your going to have a snake trail behind you. The formula will want to bow steer and swim w/ the current produced by the h/b and the skis even more so.
I'd tie a separate line from the bow eye of the formula to the outside corners of the h/b. -a bridle-that way it can't bow steer itself, maybe 40'-50' aft of the h/b.-put the drives up
do the same w/the first ski behind formula and have the 2nd ski on a short tow behind the other, or lash them side by side with a bridle behind formula connetted to the tow eyes.
And have plenty of hands at the ready if tou have manuver quickly..
When you get ready to pull up for the day, cut the tow loose and have someone fire up the formula. Like JNT suggested.
Good luck
post some pics - it out to be a sight

Last edited by JETTDOGG; 07-16-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JETTDOGG
Your going to have a snake trail behind you. The formula will want to bow steer and swim w/ the current produced by the h/b and the skis even more so.
I'd tie a separate line from the bow eye of the formula to the outside corners of the h/b. -a bridle-that way it can't bow steer itself, maybe 40'-50' aft of the h/b.-put the drives up
do the same w/the first ski behind formula and have the 2nd ski on a short tow behind the other, or lash them side by side with a bridle behind formula connetted to the tow eyes.
And have plenty of hands at the ready if tou have manuver quickly..
When you get ready to pull up for the day, cut the tow loose and have someone fire up the formula.
Good luck
post some pics - it out to be a sight
Yes.....I'm ordering the 3-point bridle betwen houseboat and Formula (3/4") and one for Formula to first WaveRunner (5/8")
Attached Thumbnails Towing a boat behind a houseboat-bridle.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Nort, check on the tow speed for the wave runners. On mine there was a max tow speed or procedures to do if towing faster than idle.

Sounds fun, have a good time. Sounds as you bought a second wave runner to fill your trailer!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Nort, check on the tow speed for the wave runners. On mine there was a max tow speed or procedures to do if towing faster than idle.

Sounds fun, have a good time. Sounds as you bought a second wave runner to fill your trailer!!!

Thanks......I'm checking now. Great info! I found this here.

http://forums.iboats.com/pwc-jetskis...er-424600.html
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just jump the jetskis onto the back of the houseboat. Use the Formula to create the ramp-wake. Hold my beer; I got this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.