Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Layoff time again..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30003-ot-layoff-time-again.html)

SR-24 08-02-2002 12:01 PM

Iggy, You love boats and I'm sure you could go to work for one of those awesome builders in Florida making killer money. Just a thought.

Iggy 08-02-2002 12:17 PM

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind.
I drive past Correct Craft (Ski Nautique) and Regal Marine every day. I know, I know, they're not performance boats. :rolleyes:
Velocity's plant is in the area. SeaRay is on the coast (2hr drive).
Not sure what else is local.
I'm keeping that option open.

SR-24 08-02-2002 12:31 PM

Oh and once you've been there awhile, imagine the perks on a new boat!

Zoom3 08-02-2002 02:21 PM

Iggy,
Do yourself a favor and take the boat out ! It won't change the situation but it will make you feel a whole lot better. I've been going through a slow decline at my job for the past year and a boat ride on the weekends is sometimes the only thing to look forward to.

Good luck

Maureen

ChrisK 08-02-2002 08:41 PM

SRICOM.... thats it... I have been in that facility before.

Not only am I kind of worried about a job, probably like all others here I have been taking a beating in the stock market. Not to even get me started on my 401(k)!

Gearhead99 08-03-2002 04:49 PM

Sorry to hear about the job. I don't mean to wear out, "Been there, done that". But, that's why I went into my own business 7 years ago.
Sure, it's not as glorified as the past jobs......but after the scary beginning [just not sure you can do it and that your dog will hunt] everything is fine now.

Get on top, check around and don't let them run your life.

Be a Boy Scout--Be Prepared--

Good Luck

jr 08-05-2002 07:53 AM

I went through that about 6 months ago. Its not an easy thing to deal with. But all you can do is keep plugging away. Try to find something better and have a safety net.

My supervisor got axed layoff before last. Since he was a super he got a lease car. When they called him into the office to ax him, they wanted his keys back since it was a company car. They called him a cab to take him home. His last act of defiance was to give the cabby a 500 dollar tip on the company.:D

Iggy 08-05-2002 08:47 AM

Zoom3,
When we bought the boat I looked forward to every weekend just so I could "get away". Well, we've been so short of cash that we haven't been able to go out for three months. :( Tha'tll change soon.

Gearhead99,
They don't run my life.
Told a co-worker one time that "I don't live to work here, working here affords me the life that I live".

jr,
That's what I'll do, keep plugging away.
I'll keep my eyes open and an ear to the ground.
Been making contacts and letting people know I'm "in the market". We'll see what turns up.

I like the 500.00 tip.:D What a way to get even.
Our ex-CEO and COO had company cars too. I imagine their wives came to pick them up.:D

gmhdfan 08-05-2002 08:55 AM

Iggy, Sorry to hear that. I remember when that place was happening. Had some freinds that kept their race cars in the warehouses in the back. As I remember they had to move out because you all were growing so fast they wanted to build on that property. Why did the pond/rock people move? Seemed like a lot of work to set that place up just to relocate? I'll tell you what, to take your mind off your job I am offering you lunch at the "Gentlemens Buffet" Tues/Wed has the best menu. No big deal I'll be there anyway:D :cool: Give me a call if you want to go 407-850-6000

Iggy 08-05-2002 12:24 PM

All the storage units are empty and the interior walls knocked down to make one large open building.
My office/test facility is in the northern most storage building.

Water Garden World was leasing the property from us. Don't know why they pulled out. I understand it was rather expensive. I know when that property was for sale the asking price was 300K. They didn't relocate, they have another office somewhere in Orlando.
Maybe their lease wasn't renewed since the rest of our property is for sale or has been sold already.
They paid for all the renovations to that building (in lieu of first years rent), all the iron fencing, including a very sofisticated laser alarm system.

Lunch Wednesday sound good.
You talking Rachel's?
I'll call 'ya.
Is that your house, office, cell?