Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Things at the Ramp that P!SS you off or Just make you laugh! >

Things at the Ramp that P!SS you off or Just make you laugh!

Notices

Things at the Ramp that P!SS you off or Just make you laugh!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things at the Ramp that P!SS you off or Just make you laugh!

So I was reading Nightlife 1970's thread about power loading and thought it would be fun to start a thread about things at the ramp that piss you off or are just SOOOO bad you can't help but laugh.

Now that everyone has had a month or two under their belt at the ramps I am sure we can get some good stories and or new videos.

For starters lets get the obvious ones out the way.

1. Sitting in line for 15 minutes only to unload stuff from vehicle to boat once the boat is 2 foot away from the water
2. The "Test Driver" - this guy feels that it is ok to leave his trailer in the water while he just "takes his boat for a spin" (30 minutes) blocking 1 of the three ramps available. All the while the ramp is packed.
3. The guy who forgets the drain plug. This is usually the same guy who forgets to disconnect his rear straps making things exponentially worse faster.
4. The guy on the ramp dock fishing right next to the sign that says no fishing or swimming. Typically his kids are swimming.
5. The guy who thinks the ramp dock is his personal dock to keep his boat at for hours.
6. The guy who won't go to wal mart and by a $2 set of flushing muffs so he can see if his boat will run or not. Typically if it won't run they just sit there and work on it. Yet again blocking 1 of the 3 lanes. U guessed it, the ramp is packed.

Now for some personal stories that has happened within the year.

When I bought my new boat at the end of the year last year, there was a brand new Tracker type aluminum fishing boat that was unloading right after me. The guy had his dad pull the trailer out of the water which he did flawlessly. It was turning around corners that was his problem. He hooked the brand new aluminum trailer into what looked like a brand new Ranger Camanche trailer. If that wasn't bad enough, the dad just kept going. It was like a domino effect of trailers. One trailer turned into 2 then 3 then 4...... The son goes running up the ramp after his dad screaming at the top of his lungs telling his dad to stop. His dad gets out of the truck and no lie says, well son I thought you just left the parking brake on. I didn't know I had hit a trailer........ The son failed to tie his boat up so now the boat is just drifing. You had to laugh.

This guy could have been on the list above. But this just happend Friday but it is the notorious guy who can buy the boat but can't back a trailer. This was on a Friday afternon around 6:45 with the Friday night fishing tourney going out at 7. I had already unloaded my boat and I noticed there was a sea doo and truck just sitting at the top of the ramp blocking about 10 boats from going the ramp. What he was doing was waiting until ALL THREE LANES were cleared before he started backing. I don't have to tell you how bad it was. Finally I had to just go ask the guy if he needs help. He did so reluctantly but what was really funny was all the comments I got from the guys sitting behind him trying to get their fishing boats in after I backed him in. They were thankful I helped but they had some funny choice words for the guy in the truck.

Feel free to add your stories and videos. Should make for some good laughs.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I have no problem with the screw ups that occur at the ramp but I have no tolerance for the guys that berate and/or blame their wives for the mistakes they make.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Last year with our old Baja came into a public park ramp after a shakedown of engine install, tie our boat off and just about to get off our boat when the boat next to us the guy goes to powerload his 25' ish family cruiser onto the trailer. He failed to realize his 9 yr old son was holding the stern line and standing at the end of the dock so he jams the power on with trim all the way up, sprays water every where and scares the crap out of his kid. Kid drops the line and you guessed it, the line gets all wrapped in the dual props and suddenly a loud bang now all is quiet. Guy proceeds to yell at the wife for not watching the kids, kids crying now. He gets the boat out of the water and his drive was dripping oil, the skeg was pointing at almost 8 o' clock because the gimbal snapped into pieces. Pulled his bilge plug with water pouring out and drove away, windows down yelling at the family with kid crying. Hope he totaled the boat for being an ass, never yell at your family, they are only as good as you guide them to be when boating. The broken boat part was funny though.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to drop in or get boat on trailer when the swarm of tournament guys are powerloading at every dock. There is a big sign at the end of each dock saying POWERLOADING PROHIBITED. I usually point out the sign and have some choice words while I am trying to keep my boat from banging against the pilings.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Where we launch it's a three lane ramp . After sitting in a line for what seemed like forever it's finally my turn to launch next . An obviously tipsy and arrogant toon captain has much trouble loading his toon on the trailer . Finally giving up he gets in his truck and starts to pull out so I drop in behind his toon expecting him to pull up to the tie down area . Well halfway up the ramp , enough room for my rig to be stretched across all three lanes blocking everyone , he stops . Of coarse at this point everyone in line has pulled up . He exits his tow rig and commences to wipe the toon down while his passengers unload coolers and such . I sat there like an azz for a bit then got out of my rig and asked him if he could pull up far enough to let me get my rig in the water and I pointed out to him that because he stoped where he did the whole ramp was blocked . He surveyed the situation then looked at me and said " It is what it is dude . " Taken aback by his ignorance I leaned back against my bumper deciding if I was going to get violent or not . He walks to the front of the toon and tells his buddy , That guy back there wants to be an azzhole . Needless to say that comment gave me the redazz but he jumped in his rig and pulled out with the toon still catywompus on the trailer . He was right about one thing , I was about to turn azzhole on him ' It is what it is . "
Old 07-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh lets see, boats that are to loud, look like they go to fast and have hot women on them. It's not really the place, because people only gawk at them and it slows things down... I'm not guilty of that ever, not once.
Seriously though, sail boats suck and people that drive their minivan down the ram because they won't carry their plastic kayak down the ramp
Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinb230
people that drive their minivan down the ram because they won't carry their plastic kayak down the ramp
THIS
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Cool

Some jackass who forgot to unstrap one side trying to figure out why the boat won`t come off the trailer, then having to jump in and cut the strap with a knife...oh wait that was me a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Trying to drop in or get boat on trailer when the swarm of tournament guys are powerloading at every dock. There is a big sign at the end of each dock saying POWERLOADING PROHIBITED. I usually point out the sign and have some choice words while I am trying to keep my boat from banging against the pilings.
Because their 21' bass boat is so heavy with a 1' draft. I think they are afraid toget the tires wet..
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I try not to get mad anymore if part time boaters are tying up the ramp. Some people just don't launch a boat very often so be patient. We are out there to have fun.Those bass boats are some of the most experienced in ramp efficiency. They get them in and out fast. I try to do the same and get lots of compliments. Usually on a busy day there is someone down there keeping things running smooth. Just be patient with the inexperienced guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.