Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits, Skater, Active Thunder, Sunsation, Eliminator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/300725-outerlimits-skater-active-thunder-sunsation-eliminator.html)

krucsd13 08-01-2013 08:36 PM

Outerlimits, Skater, Active Thunder, Sunsation, Eliminator

I'm looking for a boat between 28-33 ft. to use 90% of the time in salt water and open Pacific Ocean. I've never owned a powerboat but I have driven some. The smaller v bottom's I've driven were extremely rough riding and I honestly didn't enjoy it. That's why I'm thinking I might need a cat but I don't know. I'm looking at the Outerlimits SV29, Skater 28 with twin mercs, Active Thunder 33, Sunsation 32, and Eliminator Eagle's. The small v bottom I drove was no bigger than 22ft so I'm wondering if the bigger V's would be a lot more comfortable. I'm looking for a boat with a good sized fuel tank that will last all day, speeds between 60-90, comfort in the open ocean, good stereo, room under the deck to sit down and take a nap, and under 250 grand. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a very broad topic but please help a newbie out.

-Ken

chris@uga 08-01-2013 08:55 PM

Given the criteria, I'd get a 32 Skater with Ilmor 725s and arnesons. That will run faster and more comfortably than anything else on your list.

I'm sure they can make a little area in the sponsons to take a nap.

turbo rr 08-01-2013 09:21 PM

Hell of a recommendation for a 1st time boat owner.

Gladhe8er 08-01-2013 09:22 PM

Skater will not have a cabin and will likely be almost impossible to insure without prior cat ownership. Among the brands you listed the 33 active thunder will be your best bet. Over 90 mph with 525s and well under 250k.

Unlimited jd 08-01-2013 09:44 PM

Need to decide if you want a single or a twin? There's a lot of nice boats out there for 250 or less.

MonkeySea2 08-01-2013 09:54 PM

never owned a powerboat and you're looking at 90 mph boat, possibly a cat?!?! Wow, I sure hope you plan to go to a high performance driving school like Tres Martin!

krucsd13 08-01-2013 10:05 PM

Monkey, you're right. I might end up killing myself but I promise you it will just be me and what a way to go!

lil red, single's are good, twins are better!

rfgonzo 08-01-2013 10:28 PM

If it was me for a first power boat I would stay away from a boat with steps or sponsons go with a straight V bottom.

krucsd13 08-01-2013 10:41 PM

Right now I'm leaning most toward the Active Thunder 33 and the Outerlimits SV29. Those are my top picks. I know one is a twin and one is a single but other than that how do these two compare? Worlds apart?