Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use >

Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use

Notices

Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use

Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It is not the fact of going through the station, it is all of the BS you have to file with different government agencys, and keeping up with drug tests on myself and others, filing fuel taxes with every state you travel in, keeping up with every mile you drive in each state, heavy highway taxes in each state, cost of tags, log books for every day of your life, not just driving but every day off duty or on duty. Going to the doctor and getting a health card. Filing a IRL with the state and licensing your RV as a truck and then when you sell it reregistering it back to a RV. It is a lot of B/S when only driving around 10000 miles per year. Oh and I forgot the DOT inspection on the truck whenever they want to do one that takes a couple of hours in the weight station and then the fines if they find a light out or a small oil leak.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
It is not the fact of going through the station, it is all of the BS you have to file with different government agencys, and keeping up with drug tests on myself and others, filing fuel taxes with every state you travel in, keeping up with every mile you drive in each state, heavy highway taxes in each state, cost of tags, log books for every day of your life, not just driving but every day off duty or on duty. Going to the doctor and getting a health card. Filing a IRL with the state and licensing your RV as a truck and then when you sell it reregistering it back to a RV. It is a lot of B/S when only driving around 10000 miles per year. Oh and I forgot the DOT inspection on the truck whenever they want to do one that takes a couple of hours in the weight station and then the fines if they find a light out or a small oil leak.
Thats the cost of doing business to obtain the american dream. Sorry for you troubles.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
just out of curiosity (because i dont know) is it really that hard to shoot through a scale? Are there things that go along with it that make it a particular hassle? Sure sounds like its a hassle to not go through them. I just always wondered because i i have seen and heard this discussion before a though being a self employed business owner i do understand it is sometimes best to just stay under the radar on some stuff.
the biggest factor is the cop/law enforcement guy the stops you and the mood he's in. that's also why I think you see so many plain white stacker trailers and toters. got a few friends that race dirt cars and never really hear about anyone getting stopped. what I find funny is all the guys I see towing boats that are over 8'6", I know one or 2 personally and neither of them pull permits. its basically a craps shoot and not worth it pay wise to run legal, which is understandable with all the DOT rules and regs.

awhile I cant stand all the different regs, you'd be shocked how many 1/2azz trucks are out on the road that cant pass a dot inspection.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

There is middle ground somewhere. I lived in California, which is one of the most over regulated and drove a delivery truck for a hardware company. Basic Hino bobtail deal. I had to go thru the scales but did not have to have a cdl, log books etc. The only thing we really had was not for hire stickers on the trucks. I was inspected numerous times too. I think you need to do a little research and find out where that line is.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered

phrag how long ago was that ?

I worked in PA and they say anything over 10,001 needs a CDL. we had a bunch of guys running in f-350's that were getting stopped for no log book.

not to stir the pot with my negative view but with all the talk about de-regulating, I don't see to many people pointing out the fact that the states are a real problem with DOT. would be nice to have same rules across country. you should see all the BS it takes to move across 3 state lines.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 41' Renegade garage hauler that has "NOT FOR HIRE" on the sides of the cab, and that's it. Nothing about what it is we are or aren't doing, and if we get stopped we are on out way to look at a race car. I haven't stopped at a scale in 3 years and the previous owner told me that he did and the cops working got pissed as he was non commercial. Straight from the Illinois Vehicle Code: Recreational Vehicle Operators — Illinois waives CDL requirements for drivers of a recreational vehicle primarily operated as family/personal conveyance for recreational purposes. This includes motor homes and travel trailers.

I spoke to a staff Sargent in district 14 about this and he said "Keep your truck under weight and length and you won't have a problem".

Please note, I do have to carry a Class B license to drive my truck legally due to it weighs 28,000lbs. This is a regular class B and not a Class B CDL as it is NOT a Commercial Drivers License. In Illinois we are also not required to have an air brake endorsement because we are driving a truck with a RV plate.

Every state is different just do a quick internet search and you should find the answers to your questions.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In PA as any other state, you only need a CDL if the gross vehicle rating exceeds 26,000 lbs..
Old 08-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

little over 10 years ago, but Cali was harsh, when I switched to EMS there I had to have a special ambulance license and on top of that a class B with tank endorsement for the fire truck, I didn't need any of that when I came to Michigan/ohio.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sbracing
In PA as any other state, you only need a CDL if the gross vehicle rating exceeds 26,000 lbs..
PA is just like IL. You just need a NON-CDL with the correct weight classification for a NOT FOR HIRE RV.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLic..._classes.shtml
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sbracing
if you have a company name on the truck its considered commercial. I worked for a oil drilling company that had DOT compliance officer that dealt with PA and other states and that's what pa told them. I also had friends in philly area get stopped by state trooper and local cops in Delaware county and dot-ed for towing equipment over 10k, bob cat and other light construction equipment that in total was below the 26k.

I understand the 26k, but just relating past experiences. then you got the other side of people like the tard that knocked down the building in philly with a backhoe. apparently he was driving it on public streets and back and forth to his house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.