Notices

Headers!

Old 08-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

RonS you might be on to something If you cut the fiberglass and maybe angel the tips a bit. But the elbow is'nt going to fit under the hach.

I think your may right on the dyr pipes
Or a custom set of headers?

You may be in a pickel
Old 08-02-2002, 07:06 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look closely at the first pic you'll see a ledge just below the tips. The two hull halves are right in this area. The ledge is the thickness change between the two halves. The hull where the tips are is about 1/8" thick. Lightning wanted to run a dry pipe through. However I need to get down to 85db per state law. There is no way dry pipes will get even close to that.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:42 PM
GRH

CORD - Go straight out the back & have the existing holes filled.... Just a suggestion..... Good luck

Old 08-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Cord,

I'm kinda in the same situation you're in. My Stellings go straight back but the tail pipe holes are about a 1/4 inch lower---not as severe as yours, but I may have to cut into my deck slightly to gain some clearence. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Charter Member #38
Charter Member

Could you run dry and add external mufflers ?
Old 08-02-2002, 11:36 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone else mentioned about cutting the fiberglass
this seems like a do ableway.
Cord, you mentioned the hull split on the shelf. How about looking into having hte current hole location angled?
Using the current hole and enlarging it at an angle. I this picture I put a circle, kinda crudly, if you can picture the tips angled upward towards the etop. This would still have a custom bend but not as sharp
If those are Teague tips, looks like them, then can reweld the flanges at an angle needed. I know because they had to do that with my tips on my cat.
Just an idea maybe over looked, maybe lready thought of and not wanted to do.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2002, 12:10 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Cord/a thought. With KE's pipe you can do a wedge between the tailpipe and header to increase the downward angle. KE's header wnds up about even with the valve covers, which is where the tp bolts on. KE could have one of the guys mill down a pair of wedges.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:05 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The angles of the tail pipes doesn't help the lightning headers. Their problem is that using his stock runners, the angles for the tails would be excessive. I have jay looking at how the 3" rise header would work, but he's thinking that it will actually pass through the top deck vertically before bending to meet the tip.

My feeling right now is that I'd hate to go back and cut the mufflers apart. Having to redo your work sure gets old fast.

Bob-on the Eickerts, are the tail pipes double or single wall? A single wall pipe would meet up with the tip alot easier, or I could even run a silicon hose. Anybody know the dimensions of these?
Old 08-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Cord
A dumb question ...but I assume you asked the boat manuf what they normally do?? Yours cant be the first boat with this setup.
Ive seen lots of similar situations to yours with smaller daycruisers. The only thing that worked was to fab up S pipes to get down to the tips. Sharp bends and some welding..but they worked. Cutting a little off the transom like MNfastboat drew would help too I think.
Dan
Old 08-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Actually, I have asked the mfr. The first boats that they produced had these high tips. After the first couple they started putting the tips below the rub rail. This was done in part due to the plumbing problems and because people didn't like the rectangular flanges that were required.

The rear deck is going to be but. That much I know. I was hoping I could keep the cut to being 2" deep or about half the current height. If I go much deeper I'm really going to start loosing strenght. I have a pic of another boat with CMI's and they cut about that deep. However, that boat clearly has a lower x-dim.

Quick Reply: Headers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.