Notices

Old Race Cat Pics

Old 08-03-2002, 06:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Timucin:

Your question is a little hard to understand....but...

First "real race" catamaran....... Ted Jones Cat...1955-56

First "real race" OFFSHORE catamaran........... probably an 18'... Power Cat...... 1961 or so.

First "real race" BIG OFFSHORE catamaran......... Ron Jones designed ......"KUDU".....early 70's.

C12.......... interesting pictures....... the camera perch looks strangely familiar to me.

Ryan.....White Heat never raced as White Heat.... owner took one full speed ride and immediately lusted for his old 40 mph slower Cigarette....... 115...... is a LOT more than 75.
Boat was finally raced years later by Craig Barrie.....without any input from or questions to George, Kenny Adams or me....... boat ran okay...broke down a lot and was never a factor.

T2x
Old 08-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2x :I was talking about big-offshore cat. THNX!
Old 08-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan

How do you know that jj is in a wherehouse in Az ???

where are the old Benihana boats ????

mike
Old 08-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightbulb

Great Pix Chris.
T2X that pic was taken at the 85 worlds in KW the boat was there on display all week. What was the name of that boat when Craig Barrie ran it. There is an old rotting Conquest near here for sale thet must be the one huh? Do you know where the Rock boat ended up? ....rotting somewhere?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Racer
Racer

Lightbulb

Mike
I had a friend who about 5 years ago lived in Pheonix who saw the boat there. He sent me some really bad polaroids of it, with the parts list too. They had the old box van there too.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Ryan:

The "Rocky" boat is still in France, I believe.

When Craig raced White Heat he had painted it Silver Grey...and it may have been sponsored by Coors........ but for some reason..... I'm drawing a blank here... I think he raced it once....in New Orleans...in the early 90's.

As far as the 48 footer being in Phoenix...the last I heard it was in a field next to Archer Marine in Calif..... Stripped and rotting

The best thing about that boat were the drives and gear boxes...they were amazing........ Tom Wenstadt designed them (formerly with Mercury Marine)....... indestructable...... designed to withstand over 3000# of torque......spun 24" diameter props ...marrying two engines into each drive.

Saddest part....none of us were really into the project...... without Mark...it wasn't the same...... but we did our very best in his memory..... Mark's father's (Marce Lavin) wish was to build the safest boat in offshore in his son's memory...... Parts from that double wide canopy mold (tooling designed and built for that boat) are still in use today...on a lot of race boats.... all over the world...... and the Lavin safety standards were developed in that cockpit ...........amen

T2x..
Old 08-03-2002, 11:19 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Ryan:

The photo of the black Shadow "El Boss" at the Key West start is so typical of Willie Diaz......

"Green Flag........ I'm outta here......can't waste time with the smaller class riff raff......the Open Boats have a three minute head start and we gotta catch 'em........ before the end of the first lap!"........

T2x
Old 08-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Racer
Racer

Lightbulb

I am 99% sure that my information is correct about the 48. I am postitive that it is not near Archer anymore, as I know those gues out there pretty well. When I was tolld about the boat a few years ago he told me Everything trucks included could be bought for 200 G's. Growing up in KW Mark and Chris were my heros. I've got a picture from the Key West Citizen paper of the boat parade with me sitting with Mark Francine and Miles. 1983 and 1986 are the only years I haven't been to KW for the worlds since 82.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:24 PM
Racer
Racer

Lightbulb

My dad took that pic. It is funny looking how hooked up that boat already is compared to Sea Hawk and Erickson. I have another question ? Who throttled for Erickson in his Shadow, why did he only race that boat a short time, what boat did that become? It's surprising in went down in boats to the 24 but then he changed Cats forever as he and Hurley Stepp DOMINATED with the 24 for the next few years.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Ryan:

Where ever it is....... let it rest.

T2x

Quick Reply: Old Race Cat Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.