New supercharger news _ new player >

New supercharger news _ new player

Notices

New supercharger news _ new player

Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default New supercharger news _ new player

Found out some interesting news yesterday that might surprise a lot of you guys.
Lysholm Twin Screw Power has been purchased by ,of all people Vortec Engineering Corp. One supercharger company gobbling up another supercharger company...... That may not seem interesting to a lot of you hard chargers----- But guess who makes all the superchargers for Mercury Racing,,,Yeah you got it now....!!! Lysholm Twin Screw Power and if you look at their web site there are some vague references to a
marine after market-kit.
Dont know whats going on and I guess we will have to wait to see what's going to go down with them but it might be that Merc is going to possibly lose some of its toys to the open market ----- Just a guess , probably a wild guess !!!
Check out their web site WWW.Lysholm.US

Jim
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool info but is it really anything new? I mean Whipple is what.........a Lysholm compressor I believe. Maybe there will be more market competiton though which wopuld drive the price down a little, I 'm not sure if substanstancial enough to make much difference though. I could be wrong also, just a thought.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=cigboat1;3837815]Found out some interesting news yesterday that might surprise a lot of you guys.
Lysholm Twin Screw Power has been purchased by ,of all people Vortec Engineering Corp. One supercharger company gobbling up another supercharger company...... That may not seem interesting to a lot of you hard chargers----- But guess who makes all the superchargers for Mercury Racing,,,Yeah you got it now....!!! Lysholm Twin Screw Power and if you look at their web site there are some vague references to a
marine after market-kit.
Dont know whats going on and I guess we will have to wait to see what's going to go down with them but it might be that Merc is going to possibly lose some of its toys to the open market ----- Just a guess , probably a wild guess !!!
Check out their web site WWW.Lysholm.US

This is old news and really not news. Do a search and you can find the actual story. Vortech got Lysholm old inventory as Lysholm went bankrupt. Mercury Sc's do not come from Vortech, they come from SRM which is the license holder. Vortech has a limited amount and they are in our opinion out of date and not built properly for the marine market. While we use to use them, having all North American rights and developed the sc as well as all the demand for it. We were left high a d dry and nearly put us out of business. Instead of folding, we invested heavily in our own design and became much stronger. While Vortech does not build these Sc's, design or have any Sc's other than the 1.6, 2.3 and 3.3.

We changed the face of the marine industry and have been a constant source for new product. We have many new things coming, I can tell you there is no comparison in quality, durability or dedication to marine performance.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Whats the story with this company :

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/autorotor.pdf

their website is from another planet ,trying to find info about what models they produce seems like the hardest thing ..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stirling
Whats the story with this company :

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/autorotor.pdf

their website is from another planet ,trying to find info about what models they produce seems like the hardest thing ..
Essentially, the same company, they were seperate after Autorotor got into financial problems. Then Lysholm came about to do the same thing. We originally were North American distributors for Autorotor, then Lysholm. Autorotor restructered, went public, then remerged with SRM (which it was formely part of). Autorotor then only concentrated on fuel cell technology (clean energy) and Lysholm was for internal combustion engines. Neither ever profited, which is why the Opcon group bankrupted Lysholm.

This is the extremely abbreviated version.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lysholm chargers used on the Merc power is similar in design longevity to the Eaton version used on the GM power. I like the Lysholm chargers and would have the Merc power with them but the bigger benefit is with a VGT, variable gate turbo, as they don't have a limited top end like a charger does.

So there is some connection with Whipple and Lysholm? Personally I like Lysholm better.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ok - ,I guess I am a little confused right now with all the names being thrown around !!!!First of all why is Lysholm still advertising in all the sport boat mags. and why are they showing pictures of Merc products on their web site ? I understand that Vortec purchased them ,So what did they get with the company ??? Are they now providing product for Merc ??? Who's selling what ? and does SRM have anything to do with Lysholm or now Vortec ? Is this a copy cat situation ?

Jim

Any of you other guys know whats going on here?

Last edited by cigboat1; 12-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1
Ok - Justin ,I guess I am a little confused right now with all the names being thrown around !!!!First of all why is Lysholm still advertising in all the sport boat mags. and why are they showing pictures of Merc products on their web site ? I understand that Vortec purchased them ,So what did they get with the company ??? Are they now providing product for Merc ??? Who's selling what ? and does SRM have anything to do with Lysholm or now Vortec ? Is this a copy cat situation ?

Jim

Any of you other guys know whats going on here?

Nope. I don't know anything about the business side. Sounds like big fish eats little fish to control competition but trade names often survive a buy out.

The Lysholm product is what all the merc 600's and 700's are running. It is a pretty much hands off dry air charger that has a very long life span when compared with wet chargers and others. I really like them.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
The Lysholm chargers used on the Merc power is similar in design longevity to the Eaton version used on the GM power. I like the Lysholm chargers and would have the Merc power with them but the bigger benefit is with a VGT, variable gate turbo, as they don't have a limited top end like a charger does.

So there is some connection with Whipple and Lysholm? Personally I like Lysholm better.
You seriously need to do some research. We brought the twin screw to the US. Created the market, created the demand, created the knowledge of the product. We dealt with many issues, first with Autorotor, then Lysholm. Both were sister companies to SRM. Autorotor went broke and brought down SRM. SRM was taken by the bank, which then restructered. Bank pres became CEO of SRM and started Lysholm to do the same as Autorotor, but better. In the meantime, Autorotor went public after some serious restructing and invested in new energy technology. Meanwhile Lysholm worked with Allied Signal to go to the OEM level. Then Eaton. Meanwhile, we were the ones actually selling the units. Overtime, Opcon and SRM/Lysholm remerged with SRM/Lysholm CEO becoming CEO and largest share holder in the Opcon group. So while Opcon technicall purchased SRM/Lysholm, Lysholm owner basically owned the marjority and controlling interest.

Then, they shelved Autorotor for internal combustion engines as the SC had issues while the Lysholm was better built for higher volumes and OEM levels. But, Lysholm never made money, lost millions every year, as did Autorotor. Therefore, the board members basically destroyed the company by cutting all cash flow. This lead to us getting 500 of 5000 superchargers in one year. Meanwhile, they were in breach of the contract by selling to customers that were clearly ours, per the contract. We were left without product to stay in business. We laid off the entire staff but 2 engineers and family and only survived off of pulleys, belts, etc. We put everything into a new version of the superchargers, where we were not worried about OEM levels. We upgraded the small bearings, got rid of the problematic needle bearings, developed new rotor profile, new coatings, upgraded gears, better bearing retaining systems, upgraded drive snouts, new pressure ratios, new port timing, new machining techniques, etc. Once we came out with our own, built in the USA, twin screw supercharger with a Whipple rotor profile, and 100% designed by Whipple, we have never looked back and have been growing ever since that time.

Meanwhile, since we got backdoored, and then those companies demands went to zero or very low, and never turning a profit as well as warrantying millions of SC's because of design issues, they finally went bankrupt. They shifted some of the molds and other pieces to SRM and auctioned off everything else. They only did this to provide Mercury enough SC's while they transition to the 1100/1350.

Vortech did not "buy" Lysholm. They became a "liscensee" of SRM and then they created the company Lysholm US. The original company in Sweden was Lysholm Technologies. They purchased the surplus of inventory left over by other companies that went bankrupt. They build a kit for a GM truck, GM camaro and copied ours on the GT500. They do not build screw type sc's, they do not have any of the later updates and they will give many customers problems in the future. Lysholm had to make many changes to the SC's to live in there testing. They have a 2.3 but not a 2.9, they have a 3.3 but not a 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 8.3 or 10.5.....

All screw compressors are typically refered to as a Lysholm type or Lysholm because the original inventor was Alf Lysholm. But that was 70+ years ago and thats like people calling all v-bottoms cigarette type. Not accurate, but it happens.

So one who says the prefer a "Lysholm" is like saying I prefer candle light to a light bulb. There are no new products, no new updates, very little applications, very little technical support or knowledge, inferior design..... Do you know how many Mercury 600, 662, 700, 850, 1075 and 1200 SC's we rebuild and replace every week? And that was AFTER they passed all the test.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Nope. I don't know anything about the business side. Sounds like big fish eats little fish to control competition but trade names often survive a buy out.

The Lysholm product is what all the merc 600's and 700's are running. It is a pretty much hands off dry air charger that has a very long life span when compared with wet chargers and others. I really like them.
Big fish was SRM, they held many patents and had many lisc's with customers like Trane, Gardner Denver, Sul-Air..... But many of those are running out. Big Fish went bankrupt, Vortech got a great deal on the old, excess inventory that Saleen ordered, but never took because they imploded.

As for "dry air", do you know what your talking about? They were designed to be wet or dry. Ours is designed for both. They built the SC's for our market. We paid for all initial development and they were built for our markets. Then later they were trying to be sold to many different companies.

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 12-27-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.