Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Will flooding affect Shootout? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/301087-will-flooding-affect-shootout.html)

Knot 4 Me 08-08-2013 08:11 AM

Will flooding affect Shootout?

1 Attachment(s)
Given the recent flooding rains, current lake conditions, and the downstream dumping from Truman, is it possible that the Shootout could get cancelled or postponed due to debris on the course? Might be a good topic for Matt T. to discuss with the event organizers.

Glaize Arm near Party Cove.

CigaretteSam 08-08-2013 09:00 AM

Depends in the area they are running the Shootout in. The main areas of the lake didnt look bad as I was on a boat there yesterday, but the areas in that picture look bad, and I saw that yesterday too.

OzarkKing 08-08-2013 10:58 AM

Glaize arm doesn't have as active current as the area of the Shootout (ie - river channel flowing downstream) which is why the beaches back in the state park sometimes get shut down (standing water + goose poop = no good). I don't see it being too much an issue although wouldn't be surprised if debris claimed a prop or two with all the boats involved...there are enough spectators/floating volunteers that I don't foresee a tree sneaking onto the course. I'm going to CRon's tonight and I'll ask the ranking deckhand if they've heard anything. The show must go on!

Keytime 08-08-2013 12:17 PM

I think jet skiers should be paid a buck for each substantial piece of debris they remove from the lake. It's a win/win. It helps clear the lake... gives them a better reputation... :whistle:

TRL505 08-08-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Keytime (Post 3973359)
I think jet skiers should be paid a buck for each substantial piece of debris they remove from the lake. It's a win/win. It helps clear the lake... gives them a better reputation... :whistle:

Well, I dont think that any amount of debris in the lake will matter much for one boat in particular. As I understand it, Floating Redwoods and Sequoia's would not be able to stop WHITE LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precision 08-08-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Keytime (Post 3973359)

And something better to do with their time.

Griff 08-08-2013 12:40 PM

The Shootout will be fine. Most of the debris is back in the coves and will get stuck on shore when the water goes down.

keegan 08-08-2013 01:00 PM

that looks like an oil spill of sewage...not debris.

Keytime 08-08-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TRL505 (Post 3973364)
Well, I dont think that any amount of debris in the lake will matter much for one boat in particular. As I understand it, Floating Redwoods and Sequoia's would not be able to stop WHITE LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're finally catching on.

:drink:

Knot 4 Me 08-08-2013 01:21 PM

I think the main concern would be with Truman. Unless the biblical rains continue, most of the current debris should clear out in time. However, if they have to dump Truman for the next few weeks we can get a somewhat constant flow of garbage down the Osage arm.