Notices

lifting boat off trailer

Old 08-03-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting boat off trailer

I have a velocity260 apporx: 5000lbs, I want to lift it off the trailer to do some work. Can you lift it with the bow ring and stern rings? I have done this before lifting smaller boats without a problem. If not I have a lifting frame with slings if the rings are not strong enough.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Those rings should be fine, however I would check out with the builder to make sure.

Jon
Old 08-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't trust the front ring . I have ripped several of them out just winching boats on trailers !
Old 08-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Boot I talked to John Coen at super boat and also the guys at Formula and they said No problem??? Maybe those were your Bayliners
Old 08-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

thanks guys I trusted the rings just enough to lift of trailer so i could get a sling under. Then used a lifting frame. Will have to check on monday if they are I can make a special lifting frame for it.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Registered

I lift my Daytona 33 with the 3 rings--2 aft and one forward.---had to make a wooden brace....as not to ruin the front rub rail. I was instructed by Elininator that this is OK.......Just did it last week to check the hull and polish it
10,000 lbs
Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

I have seen many boat's lifted by the 3 rings, but there are some things to watch out for. First some say you can use the front top cleat if it's connected on the "Trailer hook" that should be dirrectly under it. Personaly, I don't like to chance it, I strap through the "Trailer Hook" and protect the rub rail with a couple of pieces of carpet. In the back I have seen the hooks pulled toward each other when the weight of the boat is held up. The Marina I worked at during college built a Lifting Bar the connected to the winch on the top middle of the bar, then had straps at each end the picked the boat straight up, without straining the hook's on the back of the boat! again use carpet around anything that might touch the boat! Good Luck! and be careful!!

He is a question for ya!! How do you flip a boat with out hurting it to bad? It's a 22ft Velocity, with out a motor or drive!
Old 08-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

I lifted some boats for a boat dealer, guy had a nice set up will have to try and copy for my boat. Good size I beam with straps and grab hooks one up front to out back. Works great for lifting boats off semis when their nose is pointing up at 45deg angle.

hmm flipping boat? I would lay it flat on carperitng or grass or something, then connect something lines, cable, sling or tow starp would probally work good. to the port side. Then use some blocking or wedges on the other side anything to prevent it from slidding and slowly pull from left to right rolling it up. How is that for good bs Honestly the only boat I have like that is 15'whaler.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I flip them all the Time from the Lifting Eyes, even the big Cats no problem. If you have 2 “A” Frames and will need 3 chain Hoists the boat never touches the ground! Let me know and I will Post The How Too Tips on it !
Old 08-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking no problem

We have lifted our 40 footer by the bow and transom eyes.
When moving into and out of the boat shows this is the fastest and easiest way to rid the boat of the trailer.
I have pics somewhere of my 28' cat with twin 502 hanging on its side Nice pics of the hull with me under it.
we have had a 32' hanging for 10 days by the eyes.

if anyone has riped these out I would stay away from buying another on of thier hulls
All the ones Ihave seen have 3-4 inches of glass under them

Quick Reply: lifting boat off trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.