Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ATTENTION Ladies and Gentlemen!!!ANNOUNCMENT!!!! >

ATTENTION Ladies and Gentlemen!!!ANNOUNCMENT!!!!

Notices

ATTENTION Ladies and Gentlemen!!!ANNOUNCMENT!!!!

Old 08-04-2002, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION Ladies and Gentlemen!!!ANNOUNCMENT!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen
Boys and girls and people of all shapes and sizes
I am proud to announce that..............
Today I embark on my initial run with my 2 new WORKING and RUNNING engines in my baja

Now all of you ask, huh I wonder what the hell happened to this guy and most of you have been following this 10 month tradgedy.
Well my friends it seems that we had some problem with the engines that was entirely NOT my fault and there was nothing that I could do about it.
I took off early on Friday cause the tech and engine builder were supposed to meet me at my house to figure this problem out.
They never showed and finally got a hold of the engine builder at 10 minutes to 5
Needless to say I was really freakin pissed
Arranged for me to take my boat down to engine shop first thing in the morning on Saturday
So I did
Saturday morning I pulled into the small parking lot of this engine shop where my engine builder diagnosed the problem
and had ME and one of his employees fix the problem in the blazing sun and heat all day (which pissed me off even more cause his guy passed out on the shop floor from heat exhaustion while engine builder when to pick up his new harley and come back 4 hrs later in the day)
ANYWAYYYYYYYYY
Seem this issue was due to Coil Bind
What coil bind is , is when you have shimmed up the valve spring too high, the cam is on its Up swing on the lobe, it is pushing the valve open, the spring would be 100 % compressed but the cam is not done opening yet so it still goes on up
what happens then is your pushrods all get bent, broken, shattered, twisted and just plainly Fugged up completely.
I had all 16 pushrods out of the engine and about 13 of them were bent, about 8 of them were bent more than 45 degrees
I dont even know how it would run but it did
after doing a valve spring swap to stronger valves and taking out the spring seat (the thing that allows the spring to turn around the valve) We replaced the pushrods and did a LEAK DOWN TEST (thanks Joe!!!) allowing us to keep the valves up while we took off the springs and keepers and retainers while not dropping a valve in the cylinder.
The valves checked out okay no leakage, no nothing
after this monster fiasco we finally readjusted all the valves
put v covers on, put exhaust on
checked everything over
Fired it up
kablam
no problems
Now I have 2 working engines with no issues
I am a very happy camper
Today after I get some yard work done

I'M GOING BOATING!!!

I am sorry for not being out yesterday and missing all the guys that did the Philly Poker run GRRRRR
But I will be out there today so if any of you see some beat ugly 30' baja out there with hooker barbie pink stripes and an arch
wave cause IT IS MEEEEEEEEE

I wanted to thank those of you that had helped me via internet with advice, suggestions, and pushed and pushed me to keep going on this (Joe S, Allan4, SR-24, RCM255, MXZ800, Hi Perf 2000, IKE OH HOLY ONE, ThunderDan, and all the others!!!)
I could not have done this without you guys and I just wanted to say that I appreciate all that you have done for me
IM BUYING!!!!
LETS GO BOATING!!!!!!!
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man what a good post to read this am!!!!!! Take your time and get used to the boat and were all th buttons are. Take it slow as the baja's handle a a little different then most boats. If it starts to porpois then trim it back down to get it to stop. I think that Biggus found that his top speed did come along with some porpoising. Make sure you check all your drive fluids, engine oils, and the alike OFTEN while out on this voyage. Also keep a close eye on your hoses and hose clamps to make sure that they do not come loose. Intake manifolds and alike. This is your proud day!!!! HAVE FUN
Old 08-04-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

Jon, thanks bro
I thank you as well for all the help and advice you have given me with this.
Man what a ride this has been
Yeah i am not going to put on the engine hatch or back seat just yet until I run it a few times first
Make sure all bolts are tight
all clamps are okay
everything is seated

I did not build this boat for a world speed record cause the hull design is not the best out there for the high high speeds and nor will I want to put myself or anyone with me in jeapordy by making boat too fast for what it can handle (oh my god Im actually being responsible god someone quick get out the gun and aim it at me)
but seriously I agree that it will porpoise and I do need some seat time to get used to this thing
I have no qualms about cruising around 40 mph for first few trips out.
but listen to that jon, FIRST FEW TRIPS OUT
Man she is GOING TO GET OFF HER TRAILER TODAY
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO
God this is a happy day, Im sitting here in shock@!!!!!
Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

WELL GET OUT AND FINISH YOUR CHORSE!!!! Well I am not sure what the estimated HP of your engines is however I will tell you this. With the engines that you used to have Biggus was getting 70mph out of his on good days!!!! So I would guess you could be in the mid to high 70's if you picked up 100 or more HP a side!!!! That IS FAST no mater how you cut it!!
Old 08-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Oh ya if you want a good laugh go back and read all your posts about this project. It will amaze you the rollercoaster of emotions and totally blown dates and times that you made and missed I just read my boat painting post and just had to laugh!!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats man ! Glad to hear it ! Wish you the best of luck. You deserve it ! PARTY ON !
Old 08-04-2002, 08:33 AM
Registered

Engines are now putting out just under 500 HP each
so with about 975 HP total
Yeah I think she will be able to haul ass
But right now I only have 21 pitch props so that is going to kill me and I have to be careful of cavitation cause they are just way too small for this thing now
I have to find a prop swap deal somewhere and start playing with different ones
HotDuck suggested that I start wtih 27 and go from there
cause with that amt of HP 24-25 is going to be on, tried and off and a hell freakin no way so he suggested I start higher
But for right now, I am just going to play with the boat and break the engines in and just sort of do small hops to place to place and shut it down, let it all cool off and then hop somewhere else and do same thing
Going to change the oil in it today and after second run
make sure all metal shavings are not all throughout engines
Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Biggus is running 25 Mirage Plus Props just for your reference. I would say that you will be looking for 27's or maybe more. I would start with 27's and see how they go.

Jon
Old 08-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Good Luck and ENJOY your day out on the boat today! I can see that smile from here. Hard to blame a guy for wanting to pickup his new Harley! You both are wearing the same smile today! But that was a pretty fundamental BLUNDER by an experience engine builder.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Jay. Have a fun day. Glad to hear you are heading out to the water.

I run 25" Mirages with 365hp (454 Mags stock). I think you are about right thinking 27"s or a 26" Bravo.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION Ladies and Gentlemen!!!ANNOUNCMENT!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.