Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic
Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by outriggers
Nice work, what you have run into with the prop has plagued the piston aviation world forever. If they don't have a gearbox (not many do) they are limited to about 2750 crankshaft rpm. What did the guy have have for power that made it up with 10 guys in it?? Doug

The guy that had all the people in his boat has a really healthy 632. It has a big solid roller, bunch of compression, etc. It supposedly makes about 900 hp. The biggest difference is the size and weight of the boat. My customer has a 15 x 8 boat with a 3/16" bottom that weighs 3900 lbs. The other guy has a 14 x 7 that weighs 2100 lbs. Even with 10 guys, women and children, he still didn't add 1800 lbs to even out the boats. We actually hooked them up to scales to see how much thrust they make. The average boat makes 1500-1800 lbs of thrust. The guy with the 632 made 2100 lbs of thrust. My customers rig made 2800 lbs of thrust. We made a bunch more thrust, but the boat weighs 1800 lbs more.

I've learned a lot doing this project. I was told that weight means everything is these boats. Guys will give up hp for the sake of weight. We are still working on this one to try to eliminate whatever weight we can. The intercooler tank,when full, added about 150 lbs. We found that we don't need all of the water in it since the intake air temps are going over 120*, even when the ambient temp is near 100*. So, we are slowly taking water out of the tank to see exactly what we can get away with.

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
With the torque that has, would variable pitch props work? Same as mustang P51...
I don't know that anyone makes a variable pitch setup for them. I said the same thing when we started this project. If someone does make it, I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive. The other issue is that these guys go waaaaay out in the swamp. There are a bunch of other boats out there that all run the same setup, so it you have a problem, someone probably has spare parts. I wanted to get rid of the belt drive and go to an all gear drive, but the owner said no for the reasons I mentioned above. The belt drive puts a bunch of harmonics and vibration in the bottom end of the engine. It also isn't rated for the power, so I figured it would break. It hasn't broken yet.
Eddie
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hill Billy Drag Racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_REFsgbeeA !lol
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

What Causes the Big Spray at then end of the track? Brakes?? Or just some Vacuum induced Phenomenon???
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Them guys spend tons of cash on those boats. I've done a few, friend of mine probably did that engine in it originally.
One cool one was an all aluminum 632 with some efi.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe nobody has asked this yet but any idea what the top speed is? Nice work by the way!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid Fun!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I can't believe nobody has asked this yet but any idea what the top speed is? Nice work by the way!
You really can't run it wide open. Once you hit about 70 mph, it gets so stupid that you can't push it any harder. The bottom is covered in 1/2" teflon and as smooth as can be. It doesn't have any strakes or skegs to give it any directional stability. It literally wants to start going sideways at 70 mph
Eddie.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Registered

They are a kick to drive! I had to put an engine in one because someone over tightened the drive belt & it destroyed the crank.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You really can't run it wide open. Once you hit about 70 mph, it gets so stupid that you can't push it any harder. The bottom is covered in 1/2" teflon and as smooth as can be. It doesn't have any strakes or skegs to give it any directional stability. It literally wants to start going sideways at 70 mph
Eddie.
you should come up with a rear mounted, spring loaded fin system for them

it would be mounted on the rear transom so that it does not impact the smoothness of the bottom and it would have springs in it that allow the fins to retract when they meet the resistance of land or a hard object, but the springs are just strong enough that they stay extended when met with the force/resistance of the water....incorporate the steering system with them as well so they help keep the rear end from sliding out in turns

it would be similar to a cheap old school boat speedometer mount only it would be a fin of course with the retraction feature and the steering and it would also have a retract button as well for when the operator does not want it hanging down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.