Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is a 28 Donzi ZX truly an "offshore" boat? >

Is a 28 Donzi ZX truly an "offshore" boat?

Notices

Is a 28 Donzi ZX truly an "offshore" boat?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right about the outboards but they just don't do it for me, also I would probably end up with a zf or zfc even though I don't fish. I figured newer low-hour motors with fresh water cooling would last a long time with proper maintenance.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

That's a beautiful boat and definitely one I would consider, along with the one listed in the classifieds here. I wish I could get Frank's opinion but it looks like he disappeared from here and the Donzi boards once Typhoon switched hands.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 28 ZX is really a 26-27 boat since it's measured to the back of the molded swim platform. I dont think I'd want to take the wife and kids out in open NJ water without really watching the forecast and winds extremely closely. It would be one thing to go out having some fun with the guys, but it's another matter with the wife and kids... that's not much boat if the conditions turn on you.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I tossed around the 28zx idea for a while and although not much bigger I bought a Formula 292. Both run well with small blocks with the Donzi a few MPH faster but cockpit room and cabin room the donzi lost out. It is much more lower profile than the 292, and a little shorter. I looked at 4 28zx's and had one surveyed-all of them appeared to have been run hard in coastal waters and all had the same issues, 3 were not serious, 1 was but coming from a wellcraft coastal-Genmar era I was tired of stress cracks and didnt want to find new ones every single trip. From all the Donzi owners I have talked to seem to think that my price point was what was leading to the condition of the 28zx's. My bird only has one area, and I truly think it was just bad prep work when the gell was shot and I was out of pocket not much more than that of the donzi's I was looking at. The 292 will ride well up to true 2 to 3 foot waves, any more and I just dont have the length to span them, I believe the same would be true with all 28 or so length boats. Although non stepped hulls tolerate a slower speed so you could get by punching trough them. Stepped hulls like to be on top and dont like to plow.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

28 Donzi rides very good for it's size but it's still only 28 ft long. I always felt safe in mine but I wasn't impressed with the build quality.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size eaves are you talking about? I agree 2-3's no problem .... Ya start getting into 4's 5's size is what ya need. The occasional 4 or 5 no big deal but if constant .... Not a good ride. I am very happy with the fit and finish of my scorpion. Fot a 13 year old boat it shows real well. I will have it at the LOTO shootout tomorrow ... I don't know if your making the trip to pay homage ..... But I'll will take ya for a ride if ya do.

Last edited by mptrimshop; 08-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

The 28 Zx is a great boat for Barnegat Bay and for doing what you talked about. You will find it rides big for a 28' boat and may not feel much if any smaller than your 302. You could def. run the loop on nice days and no problem run the A/C poker run with the inside group. I ran a 22 Classic and then 29' Kryptonite for 0ver 10 years doing the loop and A/C run. I was a bit younger and "braver" then but still..... Anyway, good luck with your search. I think you are in the right ballpark for your needs. A 29 Formula with small blocks wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Everybody has thier opinion, so here's mine... I have a 01 28zx with the 350's, I boat in Lake Michigan and as others can attest it can turn on you pretty quick. I have come back in some pretty nasty stuff... with my family... I have never felt unsafe in my boat.

As for the stress cracks, I don't have any. Having said that I will also add I don't drive my boat like an idiot. I like to go fast when the water allows but you will not see me "airing it out" in the rough.

I had a 34' Wellcraft Scarab at one time and I will say that boat flattened out the chop better then my 28 but when the water got real nasty I didn't feel safe in it. I know that doesn't sound right but it is what it is...

Comparing it to your 302, I have a good friend that has a Baja 272 and he will agree the zx rides better than his 272, I know the 272 is quite a bit lighter, so I think it would ride equal to your 302. One major difference you will notice is that the ZX will ride wetter. I do get splashed alot.

I would say this, if you felt safe taking your family out in your 302, you will feel safe in the ZX... you just might drip more when you get out...
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
I tossed around the 28zx idea for a while and although not much bigger I bought a Formula 292. Both run well with small blocks with the Donzi a few MPH faster but cockpit room and cabin room the donzi lost out. It is much more lower profile than the 292, and a little shorter. I looked at 4 28zx's and had one surveyed-all of them appeared to have been run hard in coastal waters and all had the same issues, 3 were not serious, 1 was but coming from a wellcraft coastal-Genmar era I was tired of stress cracks and didnt want to find new ones every single trip. From all the Donzi owners I have talked to seem to think that my price point was what was leading to the condition of the 28zx's. My bird only has one area, and I truly think it was just bad prep work when the gell was shot and I was out of pocket not much more than that of the donzi's I was looking at. The 292 will ride well up to true 2 to 3 foot waves, any more and I just dont have the length to span them, I believe the same would be true with all 28 or so length boats. Although non stepped hulls tolerate a slower speed so you could get by punching trough them. Stepped hulls like to be on top and dont like to plow.
Thanks, I know it's going to be hard to find a used boat in good condition but I'm not in a big rush. I really like the 292, if anything this thread has me looking at other boats besides Donzi's.

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
What size eaves are you talking about? I agree 2-3's no problem .... Ya start getting into 4's 5's size is what ya need. The occasional 4 or 5 no big deal but if constant .... Not a good ride. I am very happy with the fit and finish of my scorpion. Fot a 13 year old boat it shows real well. I will have it at the LOTO shootout tomorrow ... I don't know if your making the trip to pay homage ..... But I'll will take ya for a ride if ya do.
I wouldn't go out to the ocean on a rough day but the bay can see 2-3's regularly. The 302 crushes them which I like, good to know the Donzi will too. Thanks for the offer, I wish I was going to LOTO.

Originally Posted by Tom A.
The 28 Zx is a great boat for Barnegat Bay and for doing what you talked about. You will find it rides big for a 28' boat and may not feel much if any smaller than your 302. You could def. run the loop on nice days and no problem run the A/C poker run with the inside group. I ran a 22 Classic and then 29' Kryptonite for 0ver 10 years doing the loop and A/C run. I was a bit younger and "braver" then but still..... Anyway, good luck with your search. I think you are in the right ballpark for your needs. A 29 Formula with small blocks wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Thanks for your first hand input. I had a 22 Classic and maybe it was just me but it was a rough ride in the chop unless I could run on top of the water which would probably scare the kids. I can plow through with the 302 and was hoping the Donzi could do the same. I will start researching the Formulas.

Originally Posted by Dukedonzi
Everybody has thier opinion, so here's mine... I have a 01 28zx with the 350's, I boat in Lake Michigan and as others can attest it can turn on you pretty quick. I have come back in some pretty nasty stuff... with my family... I have never felt unsafe in my boat.

As for the stress cracks, I don't have any. Having said that I will also add I don't drive my boat like an idiot. I like to go fast when the water allows but you will not see me "airing it out" in the rough.

I had a 34' Wellcraft Scarab at one time and I will say that boat flattened out the chop better then my 28 but when the water got real nasty I didn't feel safe in it. I know that doesn't sound right but it is what it is...

Comparing it to your 302, I have a good friend that has a Baja 272 and he will agree the zx rides better than his 272, I know the 272 is quite a bit lighter, so I think it would ride equal to your 302. One major difference you will notice is that the ZX will ride wetter. I do get splashed alot.

I would say this, if you felt safe taking your family out in your 302, you will feel safe in the ZX... you just might drip more when you get out...
Yeah, I'm not one to beat on my boat and hopefully can find something that was cared for.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

took bad you are looking to go newer...there are a lot of 311 sr1 formulas out there for really good prices. They would probably ride the best of all the boats mentioned and have the most room and amenities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.