Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   mapping GPS receivers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30175-mapping-gps-receivers.html)

H2Xmark 08-04-2002 06:55 PM

mapping GPS receivers?

well going to replace my old style gps with one of the new GPS with WAAS technology,and would like one with mapping, looking at the Garmin 176C and the GPSMAP76S, any thought ? want a mobile, that can run on internal batteries, thanks for any input here. also how is the Blue Chart data cards versus C.D.rom, thanks. Mark

CigDaze 08-05-2002 08:50 AM

The 176 is a great unit at just thr right size, imo. Just beware of the color version, it's a bit difficult to see in any kind of sunlight. The b&w unit is much easier to read.

Blue chart is the way to go, it's awesome...straight from NOAA paper charts to chip, the regular cdrom stuff is full of errors(like showing that your boating 4 miles inland:D)

Padraig 08-05-2002 09:18 AM

I find the 176 a bit small or maybe it is my 50 year old eyes. I have a Garmin 182 that I have been very happy with it. It uses the Blue Chart data cards or CD down loads. I does not have an internal power supply so you need to hard wire or get the cigarette plug adapter.

It is available with an internal antenna which is what I have. In the winter or when I travel I use the cig. lighter adapter and mount it in the Suburban with downloaded Roads and Recreation maps. In the boat it is hard wired.

I bought it before the color model become available but find the screen very readable in direct sun light. I have heard that the color 182 is better then the color 176 in direct sun.

Sean 08-05-2002 10:12 AM

I bought the GPSMAP 76 an it has the largest screen available in a reasonable sized handheld---meaning, some "handhelds" are pretty big and you need two hands to operate 'em.

So far I am very please with my GPSMAP 76, although I have not used it much. I would recommend getting the software with the charts and streetmaps, because although the mapping is good, it only shows major roads. Same goes for the bouys...small markers are not shown.

The screen is large and it is easy to navigate between the different screens. It has a cool breadcrumb feature which shows your course. I've still go a long way to go to lear this thing, but I think it is a great unit so far.

I have not looked into Blue Charts and the battery life is about 10-12 hours.

Dock Holiday 08-05-2002 11:29 AM

I have been using a Raymarine 320 for a couple of years and just mounted a new one at the helm of my 36. It uses the C-map NT charts and I like it.

However, the wife and I were at Boaters World last Thursday and started talking to a guy about Garmin and the Blue Chip and the wife fell in love with it.

We now have a 176C on her side of the boat. I cannot see it worth a **** in the sun, but her eyes are much better and she loves it. I had to buy it because it is the first piece of electronic gear she has shown interest in.

The Blue Charts and far and away better than the c-map from what I have seen, and I liked the c-map.

Good Luck
Mark

dloftis 08-05-2002 11:34 AM

I'm really suprised to see someone who thinks a Garmin product is better than Raytheon.

I've been looking at a Ray 320, the Standard Horizon CP150C, and the Garmin GPSMAP 176C.

Let me know how you end up liking it in the long run?

Dock Holiday 08-05-2002 12:01 PM

DLOFTIS,

I did not mean that the GPS itself was better, just the charts.

In my opinion Ray Marine is FAR & Away better as the units go. It is very high quality, and Garmin is good quality in my opinion.

Just wanted to make this clear. The blue chart has a lot of data and does look just like the paper charts.

Mark

Vyper340 08-05-2002 12:22 PM

Got the 176C and love it. It is especially awesome at night when you really need to know where you are. The chart cards are the chit!!

Intolerant1 08-05-2002 12:27 PM

If your old GPS has a connection, you can connect it to a laptop using Microsoft streets and trips. Just an option.

Padraig 08-05-2002 01:53 PM

Originally posted by dloftis
I'm really suprised to see someone who thinks a Garmin product is better than Raytheon.

I've been looking at a Ray 320, the Standard Horizon CP150C, and the Garmin GPSMAP 176C.

Let me know how you end up liking it in the long run?

RE: Raytheon. They are no longer part of Ratheon. It is now Raymarine and is a British owned company. I originaly had a Raymarine 525 and had accuracy problems., it went back to the repair center and still had accuracy problems (320+ feet while using WAAS) and in addition it would freeze up. Even though I had had it for a month, trying to work the problems out, West Marine let me return it. I purchased the Garmin 182 for about the same price and besides great accuracy it is easier to use and has more features. Maybe I just got a Ray Marine GPS that was built on a Monday but overall I think that Garmin makes a bettwer unit and I bet that they also make a hell of alot more of them.