Notices

OT: Waterproof Watches

Old 08-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TAG ALL THE WAY!

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
.....I am always banging my wrist on things...
DOH!!

My Seiko Kinetic has been great these past 4 years.....Has no battery....winds automatically with the normal movement of you hand.....
Old 08-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

If you can find one get a stainless Rolex Daytona. They are not TOO flashy but people that know watches know that this watch is everything you'd want. I wear mine almost all the time (at the river, in the ocean, etc etc) I also have a breitling Navitimer that has been a very very good watch. the same applies as stated above; rare and not TOO flashy. And no Nort you can't have it!!

You could buy one of the g shocks or what ever for under 100 bucks, but why not have something that is nice....You work hard, you deserve it!

Tank
Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to live and Travel outside the States a lot, The good thing about a decent watch is you can sell it to get home. In worst case of theft of Money and Cards! It’s like Money World Wide Try that with a Timex
Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 PM
AIRTIME

one word BULOVA It"s good for 100m marine lens all stainless with blue face it's been overboard with me at 67mph in ht tubs 104temp it;s 3 yrs old runs fine about $100to160 I think. good luck and let us know what you buy? see ya art

Old 08-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I have worn wristwatches 24/7 since I got my first decent watch in first grade ( a Clinton self-winding that came packaged IN WATER). I have been hard on watches, too with lots and lots of waterskiing and tubing and also dirtbike riding/racing (no didn't wear watched while racing, but did while practicing). I've used jackhammers and air chisels while wearing watches, too.

I have owned several Seiko 100meter dive watches (price $125 to $300) and have found them to be very rugged. They have a mineral crystal (very hard and scratch resistant) and it is mounted flush with the minute ring which makes it hard to smack it on stuff. I did find that the crystal would indeed pit if you regularly arc welded while wearing it, though. The crown/stem is a screw-in type that keeps the water out and is protected by the case to keep it from getting knocked off. I have never dived (as in SCUBA) in one of these watches, but I owned two of these and never managed to damage either one ('cept for the welding pits). The all-stainless one still polishes up and looks real nice. I wear it to the beach to this day (it is 22 years old).

I also have a $900 TAG/Heuer, but never wear it. It was a gift and it stays in the closet, but I have no question to its durability. It is a nice durable watch.

I regularly wear a 2-tone Rolex, and have put it through the same water torture as my seikos. The crystal is easy to smash against stuff and while Rolex will replace it free if you scratch it, they will not do so for a chip or if you break it (which I have done). The stem is also easy to hit on things (but it also screws in for water resistance).

I have a gold Rolex for when I am not going to work on engines and such, and have taken it swimming and jetskiing often wito no troubles.

As somebody mentioned, the Submariner Rolex is virtually indestructible but like all Rolexes they cost more than they should.

My vote is the "Sport100" series Seiko diver watch. They make it in many styles and they are a tough tough watch (the gold-tone will wear off, so you may want to lean towards the all stainless models if your man is hard on watches).
Old 08-06-2002, 12:29 AM
Registered

I have to put another one if for the Casio G Shock's. Very inexpencive (bought mine for 32 bucks on ebay) and has held up to the hell I put my watches though for 3 years now. Still looks and functions great!!
I may be a cheap ass but I hate thinks that break all the time
Old 08-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Bad ass, super tough, over priced and slightly ugly but I love it watch.
Attached Thumbnails OT: Waterproof Watches-panerai.jpg  
Old 08-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Sunsation 32

If you want to buy a Rolex, go to an authorized dealer like Carlyle and Co. and ask if they have any used. Some dealers take trade-ins up to five years old. Its a good way to save money and they will waranty it for a year. I bought a 2001 Rolex datejust, jubilee band with white gold for $2100. It sells new for $3500. You couldnt tell the difference between it and a new one.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:11 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Sydewaz. When it gets dark go home...... or to sleep what ever suits the day of the week it is. I have a Casio lcd digital calculator watch with a decoder ring built in ......I got it out of a box of Captain Morga.....Crunch, yea Crunch.