Washington DC Police boat "incident" >

Washington DC Police boat "incident"

Notices

Washington DC Police boat "incident"

Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That place is amateur hour at it's best that lasts for weekends at a time. Re-read my first post.

That ENTIRE area of the river from shore to shore for 2+ miles or so is a NO-WAKE zone. (The no-wake starts at the red line on the map.) I tend to believe one witness report that the operator was trying to "show-boat" next to the dock. They tend to cruise by real slow peering on to the boats looking for underage drinking and the like. Where he made his donut is right where the dock juts out in a half moon.

There was NO reason to nail it right there by the docks. No one is tied up to sustain that kind of water agitation. He had the entire width of river to make a turn to port and take off if he felt the need to run out of there on a code call. The move was blatant disregard for life and property.

I know there are LEOs on this board, and some of my best friends are as well. People make mistakes. But this was not a mistake. This was carelessness; and blind luck kept anyone from getting hurt.
Attached Thumbnails Washington DC Police boat "incident"-area-map.jpg   Washington DC Police boat "incident"-close-map.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The area usually looks like this on a nice evening, until 1AM or so when they all boats are kicked off the dock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507516[/ATTACH]

You cannot stay there overnight, which while annoying; is probably a good thing as it keeps the late night club-goers from mixing with the boat folks.

A fall evening with my boat in the exact same spot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507517[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Washington DC Police boat "incident"-georgetown_waterfront.jpg   Washington DC Police boat "incident"-400073_10200188190648209_646314479_n.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

You can't say the boat had steering issues. He turned very sharp ones he saw the F up. Then keeps going then yells at the boat owner. Think this officer just drank a case of dumb a$$. Sad part is nothing will happen to him and it will be more then Likely covered up.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
Harsh? I guess the same boating rules do not apply to officers? They are above the law? Double standard, if I fuch up its my fault, if an officer fuchs up its not his fault...that does not sit well with me at all. "Just relax" as the borrowed boat is sinking. He had absolutely no business being on plane anywhere near those boats...let alone doing a power turn like that.
You missed my point completely. I wasn't suggesting that the rules should not apply to him. He should face the same penalty as any other boater would for doing something so silly. Will he? Probably not I guess. But my point was, we all do dumb stuff sometimes so maybe we should cut each other a little slack when someones "dumb stuff" gets caught on tape and broadcast to the world, police or not.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by nkosi
You missed my point completely. I wasn't suggesting that the rules should not apply to him. He should face the same penalty as any other boater would for doing something so silly. Will he? Probably not I guess. But my point was, we all do dumb stuff sometimes so maybe we should cut each other a little slack when someones "dumb stuff" gets caught on tape and broadcast to the world, police or not.
If it had been Larry the janitor doing the same thing on his roached out bayliner, we would still be saying "what an idiot". I drove fire trucks and ambulances for years, I understand the adrenaline of a call. The golden rule is "DUE REGARD FOR THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. When you have a jib that allows you to drive fast, plane in a no wake zone, go thru red lights etc,. you ARE held to a higher standard. Yuu can break the rules, but it is your responsibility to do so SAFELY.

There are more than a couple volunteer firefighters (the ones who risk their lives to save yours without getting paid for it) that have been involved in accidents on the way to a call running lights and sirens now locked up for getting into an accident. It really doesn't matter if the other vehicle did something truly stupid. If your acting with due regard, you should expect the other person to do something stupid..

In this guys case the other boat wasn't even doing something stupid, it was tied to a dock, stationary and highly visible.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add a little humor here:

There must be something in the LEO water that they are all drinking: Not on the H2O but people watch out where you drive, boat, and walk.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...wn-4786078.php

It's not safe any where... Even walking to work,
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

All I can tell you is this ...hole is lucky it wasn't one of my boats! Jail or not this guy would be losing his front teeth! I would have lost it! Yeah everybody does dumb things every now and again but this type of "Super marine police" stuff is unacceptable, he needs his butt kicked real good! The type where ambulances are involved, stitches and wire to hold his mouth together F........marine police! go catch some real crooks oh that's right real crooks shoot back! so that rules out p..... like you! and that's how I feel about it! .................................................. .........Rjr...................................... .............
Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered

Talking

Ok then. There is obviously a hatred of marine police that I can't relate to. We don't have marine police like that down in the Virgin Islands where I live. So, as a show of solidarity to my fello boaters who get harassed by these marine police....F$^%& that #$%HOLE for driving so F#^&& stupid!!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When this guy retires he can start an over priced business showing us performance boaters how to operate our boats! LMAO j/k
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

A customer of mine was by the shop today that is DC Police. I joked with him about the incident and he said that apparently they're being very tight lipped about the whole thing. He said he knows just about as much as the public. He told me the guy driving the boat had just recently beat out 900 or so other applicants for the job, and that DC procedure says that no matter what, a vessel is never to be underway with only one person on board. He claims the video shows only the captain on board (I haven't looked that closely).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.