Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game >

Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game

Notices

Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game

Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To stay within the analytical side of this conversation, I will add that a non participating boat may be an obstruction and a distraction. The distraction may have as serious an effect as the obstruction.
Our attention is directed first to movement. That crossing boat was moving and that movement would have drawn the first awareness. It is also possible that the non participant was hidden behind the lead boat and it's rooster tail, and was not seen until a course change was absolutely necessary, or perceived as so. Possible?
After the boat itself, the wake would have drawn my attention. That wake was about maximum that could be created by that boat and encompassed a much greater area than the boat itself.
I also wonder if the lead boat slowed for the boat or wake, and if that had repercussions; placing the next boat on the rooster tail.that could be answered by the lead boat driver.
If we ever see photos from above to establish true relative positions, the decision made to cross the leaders wake may be better understood.
I too hope to see something other than monocular camera views. The absence of depth perception limits our understanding.

The debate, accusations, and justification are each equally educational.

Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Get in touch with OSO user GATORONE (Pure Platinum.....I believe the cat in front) as he said he had forward and rear facing cameras. If he posts his videos surely that may help explain some of the actions (and reactions) that took place that day, and from that, how things could be made safer for future poker runs (if there are any).
I have a feeling Bill may not want people to see those could be incriminating.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Yes, but they are reading ALL OF THEM. One of them posted here about how ridiculous all of this is.
Greg

Right now you have a chit job.
I get it.

The family shouldn't be reading this if it upsets them.

And I hope to hell that the wives and parents and kids of our deceased friends don't think that the events of Saturday is the summation of Jeff and Brads lives.
You can read in 10 different places on the forums about how great these two individuals were.

Saturday was a millisecond in the lives of two good guys.

BUT

Now is the time and this IS the place to let dialogue flow about something that effects the wives and parents and kids of those that are on here that want to yak.

The safety of all of us.

GOD BLESS OUR LOST FRIENDS
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a formal and mandatory Captain's meeting for this event?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Yes, but they are reading ALL OF THEM. One of them posted here about how ridiculous all of this is.
Yes but that is their choice to read or not. Of course they might think this is ridiculous to discuss and I understand that. However, this IS the time and this IS the place to identify problems, make suggestions, plan changes and correct the problems. My thoughts are with the two families during this difficult time, but also with improving the future if possible.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

ActiveThunder

Yes there is. I did not run in the run this year so I do not know what was said. There is at least supposed to be a "mandatory drivers meeting" before the start per the entry rules.

Mark
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Yes but that is their choice to read or not. Of course they might think this is ridiculous to discuss and I understand that. However, this IS the time and this IS the place to identify problems, make suggestions, plan changes and correct the problems. My thoughts are with the two families during this difficult time, but also with improving the future if possible.
Dude, your out of line, and kind of sick upstairs. This conversation can wait.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Is there a formal and mandatory Captain's meeting for this event?

By all means they do. The organizers and the Water Patrol do a fine job of reading the riot act to participants about it being an open course, expect 15 year olds on jet skies, tubers, cruiser wakes, and to drive safely and accordingly to the conditions. Apparently all of that goes out the window once the flag drops and some of these big cat owners just do whatever they want to do - rules and safety be dammed. That's the problem. Now how to solve it?

Last edited by Marginmn; 09-11-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: edited to day some - not fair to imply all do
Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a successful model for the implementation of safer high-performance boating: the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club. From the start, and particularly after 2001, the club's leadership made a commitment to safety, recognizing that the congested nature of Barnegat Bay and other club waters made for a tricky situation. They assembled a good set of common-sense rules AND ENFORCED THEM (shouting intentional). Despite the difficultly and aggravation it created in the early days, a number of participants were thrown out of events or the club for violations. The remaining members enjoyed the club events even more and most of those who were thrown out returned, agreeing that they had been in the wrong. The club also actively reached out to other organizations that had to share the waters with them and/or had complained about performance boaters (many of who were not even club members), and now enjoys a strong and positive relationship with the community.

Every event starts with a mandatory Captain's Meeting, where the rules and plans for the day are comprehensively reviewed, and problem/congested areas are given special treatment. A particular concern is the plethora of boats often anchored smack in the center in several of the highly-restricted navigation channels. The local authorities have confirmed that these boaters are acting illegally, but admit that they are overwhelmed and cannot clear the path. Club members have adapted by running significantly reduced speeds in these areas, and doing the best that they can to allow as much room as possible between boats.

Now, the club is one of the most active in the US, with events ranging from charity rides to one of the "Top Ten" Poker Runs in the country. Have they banned unlimited running? No - they have simply restricted it to designated open waters, and implemented pace boats elsewhere. This does not eliminate the danger of an accident (one subject), but it has significantly reduced participant/spectator near-misses (the other subject).

This kind of success story is because the club members have come to regard safety as an attitude, not a hindrance. Develop the proper culture, and proper behavior will follow. Choose to ignore the rules, and you'll have to go play elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out and checked my boat.............nope, couldn't find any brakes, I don't remember who said boats were like cars, I'll call Formula this afternoon and let them know that my Formula is missing the brakes.

Comparing boats to cars, I couldn't go to bed last night because I couldn't stop laughing, sorry, my bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.