A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast"

Notices

A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast"

Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast"

I'll probably get toasted, but here goes.....................

I've been boating for over forty years, mostly at LOTO and have watched boats change (mostly for the better) significantly over that time period, been to almost every Shootout and have enjoyed all of them, but now it's time to face facts, we're living and dying to fast.

I love to go fast just like the next guy, but all of us need to recognize our limitations and that there's time and a place for everything, when I was in my mid thirties everything had to be a thousand miles an hour too, now that I'm older I understand what my Father was telling me all those years, slow down, enjoy life, you've only got one, so make it count and live it.

We know some of these boats can go 160-180mph, isn't it enough that we know, do you have to show us and do dangerous flybys, I know some spectators love it, that doesn't make it right or safe, just because someone is misguided enough to anchor close to the middle of the channel should we buzz them, I say no.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you want to see what kind of speeds your beautiful boat can get, enter it in the Shootout or any of the other sanctioned closed course events, maybe take it offshore and go-pro your run and post it on youtube where we can all enjoy it where everybody stays safe, I LOVE those videos.

Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe wiser or maybe I just don't want to see anymore memorial stickers on our boats, I hope I didn't offend anyone, just my opinion, so it's only worth something to me, stay safe on the water and have fun, off my soap box.

Jim (aka joey)
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Totally agree. I no longer own a go-fast boat but for that thrill I have started racing wheel to wheel at the track. While easily as dangerous, the safety equipment is far superior to what the weekend warrior uses on the water. Quite honestly it's more exhilerating and difficult to master than running the boat.

(sold the boat at 39 when road racing became more fun)

Last edited by t500hps; 09-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I agree, still like going fast but it seems just like when I am riding, the older I get the more/ better safety gear I use.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You're right Jim............................................... ......you are getting old. LOL!!!!!!!!

But you're one of the youngest at heart old guys I know. Good post
Old 09-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Great post Jim. I'm still mid 30s and love speed but have learned to be responsible with it. Even the spectators that love it, what happens if they are the ones hit. Won't love it anymore.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Great post Jim. I'm still mid 30s and love speed but have learned to be responsible with it. Even the spectators that love it, what happens if they are the ones hit. Won't love it anymore.
For sure, the people out there fishing for a fly by or picture will be the same ones(or there families) filing lawsuits and or petitioning for laws against poker runs etc
Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Good post! Slow down, people don't want to loose you.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I'll probably get toasted, but here goes.....................

I've been boating for over forty years, mostly at LOTO and have watched boats change (mostly for the better) significantly over that time period, been to almost every Shootout and have enjoyed all of them, but now it's time to face facts, we're living and dying to fast.

I love to go fast just like the next guy, but all of us need to recognize our limitations and that there's time and a place for everything, when I was in my mid thirties everything had to be a thousand miles an hour too, now that I'm older I understand what my Father was telling me all those years, slow down, enjoy life, you've only got one, so make it count and live it.

We know some of these boats can go 160-180mph, isn't it enough that we know, do you have to show us and do dangerous flybys, I know some spectators love it, that doesn't make it right or safe, just because someone is misguided enough to anchor close to the middle of the channel should we buzz them, I say no.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you want to see what kind of speeds your beautiful boat can get, enter it in the Shootout or any of the other sanctioned closed course events, maybe take it offshore and go-pro your run and post it on youtube where we can all enjoy it where everybody stays safe, I LOVE those videos.

Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe wiser or maybe I just don't want to see anymore memorial stickers on our boats, I hope I didn't offend anyone, just my opinion, so it's only worth something to me, stay safe on the water and have fun, off my soap box.

Jim (aka joey)
I like. Ever heard the term, " the faster I go the behinder I get" ?? I still love the adrenaline some things offers. I still have a "go fast 'looking' boat".. Not that fast, but a lot of joy. Not that I couldn't get something faster, but I love what I got for the reasons I got it. Uniquely different, as I lived my life. There is a time when most, (apparently not all of us)realize that there are other ways to enjoy our toys and do the stuff we like. When I could say I'm 30 something, I thought I was indestructible. Later in life healing is a lot longer duration. Back in 2000 I had a street bike, Katana. Lot's of fun, I been riding since I was 16, consider myself a VERY safe rider on the bike. But. Late Saturday PM, 2000. Going to Sarasota on Alligator Alley, no one in site, visibility for ever, I hit it. Got to 146. Fun exhilarating few minutes. Then while slowing down, I admitted to myself that the bike had more balls than I did. The bike was ready and had more ponies to go faster. I knew that I would wanted to hit 150 the next time I had a chance. A few days later I sold the bike, I bought a sport cruiser, (no way this will hit 146. lol ) and I enjoy it just as much, but I know I will live to tell the story about my trip to the Keys or my fun weekend at Bike Week. Hopefully with age there is some common sense that sinks in . I had some sinking in and I hope some of the "ego jockeys" on the PR circuit will get some too. SOON wild be good.
Stay safe, keep others safe as well and enjoy the boating environment, where ever it might take you.
(just my .02)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the positive comments, the older I get I see life as gift and a good analogy would be................when I was my 20s life was a sprint, always rushing to do something..................now that I'm mid 50s I'm hoping life is more like a long distance marathon and I don't want to rush to the finish line prematurely.

If I was ever responsible for hurting someone with or in my boat it would be very difficult to deal with, maybe that's why I always error on the side of safety, sorry if I'm boring you younger guys.

And Griff, I do like to have fun don't I.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered

Jim, I too am getting old and agree !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.