Notices

Manatee dispute heats up

Old 08-09-2002, 08:50 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manatee dispute heats up

There is another article in the Orlando Sentinel this morning entitled "Manatee Dispute Heats Up".

For some reason (maybe I'm too early) I can't call it up on my puter. But here is one that ran on 7/31

What the hell is wrong with these people? Don't they have a life??

marc

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...102jul31.story
Old 08-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote: Glitzenstein disagreed, saying that the settlement includes all the public notice and workshops required by that federal law. He also argued that the settlement never specified where or how many of the zones would be established. That gave the federal agency enough leeway to make its decision once public opinion was considered

Funny I am sure if they do not give them all the proposed no wake zones then they will continue their court cases untell they get them!!!!

Quote: Those additional measures are necessary because manatees are being killed by boats in record numbers this year, he said. State records show 71 manatees have been killed from boat collision as of July 26, on pace to easily top last year's total of 81 boat-related deaths

Well maybe that is because there are so many of them!!!! Maybe they have increased in numbers so much that now they do not need to be protected. That is like saying that it is odd that there are more murders in NY city VS. Podunk Arkansas!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love how they play the numbers. NOT

Jon
Old 08-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No life, yes . But I bet the Save the Manatee people make a good living off all the suckers that leave Sea World everyday with an Manatee adoption
Old 08-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Didn't 6 of them just beach themselves in South Fla. last week
Old 08-09-2002, 10:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Marc,
The SMC WILL NEVER GIVE UP, because to give up, (In their warped perception of the REAL WORLD) they would concede the fact that the Manatee ISN'T endangered anymore!

That's why they are SO UPSET about the FFWCC's re-evaluating the Manatee Endangered Species status. See below fresh from the SMC's website:

TAKE ACTION!

FWCC Re-Evaluating
Manatees' Endangered Status

The Issue:
In response to a request, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC) is now re-evaluating the biological status of the Florida manatee under state law. Currently, manatees are listed as "endangered" under Florida's Endangered Species Act. (It is important to note that this is NOT the same law as the federal Endangered Species Act.)

The re-evaluation will be based on a rule adopted by the FWCC in 1999, which includes extremely stringent, "one-size-fits-all-species" listing criteria. These criteria are entirely inappropriate to address long-lived, slow reproducing aquatic mammals like the manatee. Under this rule, manatees (and perhaps every other endangered and threatened species in Florida) are likely to be delisted.

Population experts agree that manatee conservation and protection measures must ensure a sustainable, viable population for the long-term as well as ensuring stable habitat. As the human population increases in Florida, human-related threats will almost certainly increase as well. Many other questions remain unanswered concerning the health and stability of the manatee population in Florida. A review of their status at this time is blatantly premature, especially when using inappropriate criteria.

What You Can Do:
Manatees need your help! The FWCC is currently accepting comments from the public on this issue through August 5, 2002. This is your opportunity to let the FWCC know that you OPPOSE any change to the manatee's endangered status under state law. Let them know that:

You do NOT support the use of the inappropriate, one-size-fits-all listing/delisting criteria found in the FWCC rule.
They MUST suspend the review of the manatee's status until they have reviewed the appropriateness of the criteria.

Any assessments of the biological status of the manatee should be based on benchmarks supported by the Manatee Population Status Working Group including:

Stable or increasing survival rates of all age classes
Stable or increasing reproductive rates
Comprehensive habitat protection

Significant reduction of human-related mortality

Please voice your support for strong manatee protection by sending your comments to:

Dr. Elsa Haubold
E-mail: [email protected]
Mail: FWCC Florida Marine Research Institute, 100 8th Avenue SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Please send a copy of your comments to:

Mr. Ken Haddad, Executive Director, FWCC
Mail: 620 S. Meridian Street, Tallahassee, FL 32399

Also, please copy Florida Governor Jeb Bush:
Mail: The Capitol, Tallahassee, FL 32399

Marc, How is your buddy doing with his Marina Project in New Smyrna Beach, I think?

BTW, I'm going make sure Jeb feel's my dissatisfaction over his NON-Actions on this issue this year @ the polls!
Dean
Old 08-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Dean, sure hope you don't vote for the DIKE
Old 08-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

what is the manatee situation in the Ft Walton area. Any local regulations that greatly hinder boating in and out of the bays along the Emerald Coast
Old 08-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Marc,
Don't worry I won't vote for her, BUT I can't vote for JEB, that lying dog!
MD
Old 08-09-2002, 03:40 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Default New marina in Edgewater

Dean.. We had a minor set back..Fired the excavator and found some large burried structures (20 foot pilings) and more cement pieces left by the previous owner "Prestressed Concrete"

We have about 60-100 of these pilings that anyone can have for free. We are awaiting the word from Ponce Inlet..They might want them for their natural (?) reef on the right side of Florida

Things should really be swinging starting in October. We still plan on opening in 2003. We are chatting with a contact that is interested in putting a Bahama Breeze (going there for dinner tonight) restaurant on the site. We are drooling over that opportunity.

We are maintaining contact with Formula, Pursuit and Four Winns.

Geeez I hope those manatee people go hibernate for a bout a century..
marc