Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Insurance (Progressive) >

Boat Insurance (Progressive)

Notices

Boat Insurance (Progressive)

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a sinking in Hurricane last year. Progressive was easy to deal with. treated me fairly. They no longer write policies for boats over 30 feet (or was it 25 feet?) in south Louisiana.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 minutes will save you 15%!!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

"I think it is important to find a marine shop that has a good working relationship with the adjuster in order to get a good result."

That was one of my mistakes. My adjuster convinced me to take my boat to a different shop, which had a good reputation, K&M Marine in Redford Twp, Michigan; Never use them! They conspired with my adjuster to not replace parts which were billed out, not replace parts that were damaged but they said were fine. Wanted to fix my brand new prop instead of replace it. They stole my hatch rams and put in shorter ones. When I got the boat home and fired it up on the hose the prop was wobbling. They didn't replace the prop shaft but that work was on the invoice. They didn't think I would notice. I took the boat right back and asked to see my old parts. They showed me a prop shaft amongst them. The serial number was different. I pulled out a picture of my old shaft to prove it. My adjuster was defending the shop and I said "aren't you supposed to be on my side?" He said I was real close to being on my own and I said I was real close to calling my lawyer and the police. They said they would replace the prop shaft "again". They also agreed to replace the bent trailer brake actuator which was also on the invoice but the work never done. I did finally get a brand new prop. I should have taken "my" old parts and the boat and sued their ases but I wanted to go boating. The boat was one year old. There is more. That is a long story short!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Great info guys and thanks........................I have Towboat for towing.......................anyone else have Towboat US for insurance.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ive got Progressive, but never had a claim - So its been a one way relationship, I pay them.

Im not sure they would write a policy for a boat as big as yours.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor
Ive got Progressive, but never had a claim - So its been a one way relationship, I pay them.

Im not sure they would write a policy for a boat as big as yours.
They have already, two years in a row,............................. I just keep hearing things about them not paying claims and that scares the crap out of me.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A 10% renewal increase isn't that far out of line for personal insurance in Florida right now.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
They have already, two years in a row,............................. I just keep hearing things about them not paying claims and that scares the crap out of me.
Not for nothing, but are you sure you really have insurance? Progressive has some serious limitations for boats, so does Geico and any other "brand name" insurance. Size, top speed, and TOTAL hp come into play. I would check your policy carefully. At the very least make a call to Stacey or Sy, they are both experts with boat insurance and neither are "pushy" salespeople.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MaroonKnighty
A 10% renewal increase isn't that far out of line for personal insurance in Florida right now.
That's what I was told, it's not about the cost, but what's more concerning me is if Progressive is going to try and screw me if I have a claim.

Spoke with Sy already.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have had Progressive for about 3 yrs with no claims. Every year, they have gone up about 8-10%. I did have USAA with my old 22 ft Crownline, but was told when I got the new boat they no longer write policies on boats under 50ft! (WTF?) I called Stacy too, but was told my boat was too fast, I laughed on that one! Anyway, I too hope that if I ever need to make a claim, that Progressive doesn't screw me. BTW, it's a 32 Advantage w/twin 496 HOs. NOT a fast boat......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.