Notices

Cig tg 38 vs Fountain lightning 35/38

Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Speaking of "I don't understand"

The reality is that I bet very few of us on here use their boat where the ride difference matters.
I disagree ask people that boat on the Great Lakes about this fountain... Cig ... Or anything else... The ride sure does matter especially on western lake erie
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The place and style if boating determines the answer really... If you are in a rougher type of lake and overnight a lot get a cig.... If you don't need the space and have decent running water then get a Fountain....
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

he lives in buffalo ny... eastern lake erie. nothing wrong with fountains. they are fast if your looking for speed. just not gonna beat the ride of a cig on lake erie. go for a ride in both there are a couple of cigs and fountains in the area. the staggered fountains run like a scalded dog with very mild power. hard to argue with that. but they dont ride like a top gun. i would say it comes down to the type of boating you want to do. being as i boat in your neighborhood my opinion would be a Cig. lake erie sneaks up on you quick
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 88bullet
he lives in buffalo ny... eastern lake erie. nothing wrong with fountains. they are fast if your looking for speed. just not gonna beat the ride of a cig on lake erie. go for a ride in both there are a couple of cigs and fountains in the area. the staggered fountains run like a scalded dog with very mild power. hard to argue with that. but they dont ride like a top gun. i would say it comes down to the type of boating you want to do. being as i boat in your neighborhood my opinion would be a Cig. lake erie sneaks up on you quick
totally agree with this
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the staggered 35 or 38's are fast, but they are prone to blowing drives, and slinging blades. The high X dimension and stagger is what makes them so fast, but it comes at a major cost on the drives/reliability, and you lose a ton of space in the cockpit.

You wont hear that from the Fountain enthusiast but its a fact. Great boats, fast, look good etc.... but you are really giving up a lot to go that fast. You can add spacers to the drives but at the cost of 7-10 mph.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the staggered 35 or 38's are fast, but they are prone to blowing drives, and slinging blades. The high X dimension and stagger is what makes them so fast, but it comes at a major cost on the drives/reliability, and you lose a ton of space in the cockpit.

You wont hear that from the Fountain enthusiast but its a fact. Great boats, fast, look good etc.... but you are really giving up a lot to go that fast. You can add spacers to the drives but at the cost of 7-10 mph.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88bullet
lol wheres the wife??
Who cares? LOL. Come February the checks will stop so I assume she is somewhere between hell and misery.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 09-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Fountain Duh

I have never been on a TS Gun, I have been on quite a few straight TG, but never in real rough water. That being said you can feel the stability of a TG, even in calm water. Where I am, if there are 6 ft waves it is not boating weather anyway, however if I had to deal with wind and HUGE waves on a constant basis I might choose something else....and it would not have Bravo Drives! That being said, I get bored in in calm water, and its even more boring in anything slower. That should be a factor, what type of boating you do. I'm actually glad I do not have a 42 for the size of my lake, the 38 is just perfect for me, because of the average conditions. Never even a scare on my 38.

The Buffalo poker Run lake erie section was about the roughest water I have seen in my boat, because the waves were spaced further than on my home lake which can make big waves as well. I found the happy spot on that run, with drives and tabs in the middle and it did well at 70 mph only coming out once in a while. However, it was not for the novice I don't think. Many boats turned back, and many (88bullet Cig92) said it was not bad so who knows. Would have made awesome go pro footage had I ever turned it on! Last year I ran on my home lake in 50 mph winds, water over the bow and slamming our faces before going on plane. I was able to get the boat up to top speed in those conditions, weird ???

I have never turned back in my boat ever, no matter what the conditions, and we have gotten wet and backed screws out of the dash, but no spine tingles.....just fun. I will say that I am more impressed with my Fountain than I thought would be before owning one, but everyone says that about every boat. I would say what you hear about Cigs wave handling is prob spot on, and what you hear about Fountain is not as bad as you think...that's just my opinion.

On a side note, just keep in mind that fountain made two 38's, the fever hull from the 90's is a different animal than the lightnings from 2000 up. Make sure if you are getting an opinion you know what version they were riding in.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35

Not a lot of "full staggered" 35/38s out there, most 38's are semi stag and have more cockpit than ful stag

Semi stag 38 is very common. And it works with standard length lowers. -2 and multiple blades will get you some speed, but at the cost of drives. Fountains are not the only ones cranking Xs, surfacing bravos, throwing blades and blowing drives. It's all set up, max speed is not everything. Spacing the drives is NOT 7-10 mph, more like 2 mph.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Idiots like me look for big water boating so maybe I am a rare breed lol I love 4-6 footers are the most fun waters for me... And west Erie gets that more often then not and I don't want to stay home because it's too rough out I boat in all waters and even went to my destination in rain and this spring ran over in snow lol so big water capable is big to me and I don't get my azz beat doing it been there with my last boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.