Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis… >

What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis…

Notices

What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis…

Old 08-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Secret F233

Default What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis…

So what’s VA Beach like Weather, Boating, Cost Of living, Etc. I’m being considered for a promotion but I’m a little afraid I’ll miss that midwestern hospitality, long boating season & cheap living. I guess one big one would be the costs of housing, what are the entry-level houses going for in VA Beach area & how about Gas Pump prices. Any input would greatly be appreciated as it will ultimately effect my final decision. OSO hasen't steered me wrong yet so.

Thank you,

Old 08-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt that you will notice any difference.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

other than everything is taxed there....especially for the locals
Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

As a 13 year veteran to Va Beach after growing up in the mid-west (Detroit area), I can tell you that I absolutely love the area. After growing up on the water my entire life (Great Lakes) and a 7 year stint as a naval officer, I can tell you that this area has so many things to offer.

The boating season is year round for most types of boating except go fast. Go fast boating last from March-November and we have had some pretty awesome 70 degree December and February days in the past few years.

Cost of living is pretty cheap in my opinion. Insurance is cheap, crime is low, etc... Gas here is $1.23/gal. Entry level homes go anywhere from $100k to no limit millions. As a for instance I live on the beach in Ocean Park (100 yards from the Chesapeake Bay near Lesner Inlet in Va Beach; look on a chart) and houses here go for $240-$700k and are new or <5 years old. Look up Rose and Womble Realtors (Robin Conaway - the wife of another OSO member and could send you a lot of info; 757-557-6187 or 757-620-3534).

If you live in the north end of Va Beach (Chicks Beach, Ocean Park, and all the way to the North End, or almost anywhere along the bay, you will find the hospitatlity much nicer than the midwest. In fact everyone is very laid back because of the beach atmosphere and lifestyle.

There are several other OSO members here and they should chime in anytime... Good luck with your decision.

BTW, what is the company you are with and what do they do. I may know something about them....

Dave
Old 08-05-2002, 09:39 PM
Secret F233

WOW Dave good news sound like it’s right up my ally I’ve always dreamed of living by the shore Sound like living cost is excellent for the E-Coast…. I work for VoiceStream Wireless in the Engineering Dept I understand VSW's about to launch the VA beach network soon. I would be the IT administrator for VSW VABeach. There making a great offer but the Mrs. is really scared to leave ST Louis But I told her we would have OSO friends on arrival + the Formula was resurrected last week & it looks like plenty of boating in the area. 70 in Feb, Ya that’s year around boating

Any Snow??????

BTW thanks again I'll try Robin in the morning

Last edited by Secret F233; 08-05-2002 at 10:01 PM.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Registered

Once and a great while we get a little snow, about once every 3-5 years it usually last about 3-12 hours. Usually it is such a big deal for the locals to see snow, it shuts the whole town down! A mini vacation!

I used to travel to St. Louis for regular business trips year round and know what your weather is like. In my opinion it is warmer and nicer here (ok, I'm biased) and it offers a lot more water sport activity compared to St. Louis and the local lakes (maybe LOTO has comparable boating but that is not very close to St. Louis); right?. Your wife will love the area and and if you have kids you will find good schools in the north Va Beach area. Robin will be able to fill you in.

I would recommend a visit before you commit to anything as with any move. Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Registered

Oh, yeah. Check this thread for a recent boating event, one of several all summer long.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=30211

We have a very active boat club here called the HRPA that meets regularly for social gatherings on and off the water. We also are associated closely with a sister club in Richmond called the RPBA.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:09 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on down, the water's fine.

Actually Vyper pretty much summed it up.
Lots to do here for the newcomer. We ARE a tourist area!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-06-2002, 12:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I love the area too. I spent a lot of time down there, and nearly moved there twice. You will not be disappointed, but do take one piece of advice:

Do not live and work on opposite sides of a bridge/tunnel. It will mess up your life royally.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Secret F233

Sydwayz, Thanks man I’ll take that to the bank !!!

All is looking well for this I just need to get the MRS on board (not really her choice but I don’t want her hating me for it ) . The area looks awesome I was checking out the VaBeach.com & some Nav Maps online. I think im going to plan to come down in the next few weeks & check it out thanks again everyone for the help. I’d like to catch up with a some of ya when I’m on tour. Thanks again you guys rock I’ll post my arrival dates when I know more…. Keep it coming!!!!

Last edited by Secret F233; 08-06-2002 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.